How do you make cabin configuration requests?

tvlworm

Our upcoming cruise includes my mom, two teenagers and me.  Where/How can I request that the beds be configured separately?  I’ve read quite a few reviews that say the beds on Harmony are very hard and to request mattress toppers. Is this something that can be done in advance as well and are they also available and needed for the sofa and trundle beds? 

Thanks! 

Royal no longer honors (or accepts I believe) pre-cruise bed configuration requests.  All the beds are pushed together by default and you get that changed when you initially speak to your stateroom attendant on day 1.

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Royal no longer honors (or accepts I believe) pre-cruise bed configuration requests.  All the beds are pushed together by default and you get that changed when you initially speak to your stateroom attendant on day 1.

Thank you! That’s kind of a bummer but I’m sure having that standard for first day helps them tremendously with turnaround time!  

8 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Bob, funny enough but on the TA website we can request that and if I call to make a booking they always ask how I want the beds configured. It appears as if they only enhanced the consumer website. 

With regard to mattress toppers, many report that the eggcrate type are no longer provided due to some sort of sanitation issue.  You might get lucky, but they may only be able to put some blankets under the sheet.

• Thanks 1

It has been our experience, when we are entering our room for the first time, the room steward usually comes around and introduces him/her self. (we keep the door propped open as a welcome)

It is then we make all our requests which usually get done before turn down the same day.

Slipping a cash tip on the first meeting doesn't hurt either.

Edited by B-52
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Bob, funny enough but on the TA website we can request that and if I call to make a booking they always ask how I want the beds configured. It appears as if they only enhanced the consumer website. 

Well, next time you make a "separate"  type bed config request for one of your clients, please report back. It would be interesting to know if they actually do reset all beds to "together" on turnaround day, or do they just leave them the way thay are and change it if necessary.  Doing the latter would save more time on the morning of turnaround day and move some of that labor to the evening turndown service.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tvlworm said:

Thank you! That’s kind of a bummer but I’m sure having that standard for first day helps them tremendously with turnaround time!  

Even when a cruise line allows a bed configuration request, I’ve always had to ask the steward the first day to separate them. 

I don’t think special requests filter down to the stewards. 

Everything is always the way we want it when we come back from dinner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently got off the Rhapsody, and the mattress was very uncomfortably hard, even though I usually prefer a fairly hard mattress.  I requested a topper and what I got worked very well.  It wasn’t an egg-crate type.  It looked kind of like the pillow-top portion of a pillow-top mattress, about 2 inches thick.  It was wonderful.

• Like 1

I've stopped requesting bed configuration pre-cruise.  Instead I ask the cabin attendant or leave a note before we head to muster.  

They are busy leading up to muster but after I come back from dinner my bed is always how I want it based on talking with them or leaving a note.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

On my girls trip, we had the TA request the beds to be separate, and they were when we got there 🙂

After years of walking into cabins the first day, on various cruise lines, I have decided the beds are left the way the previous occupants left them. That way the steward has a good chance of changing them just once or not at all.