San Diego. Walk from train station to cruise terminal?

Hobie

1 hour ago, Hobie said:

Can I walk from the Santa Fe train depot. on Kettner in San Diego to the Cruise terminal?  Is it a difficult walk with one bag?  How long is the walk?

I remember it being very close because I wanted to go see the Santa Fe building when we were there-- like 2 blocks from the pier. Its also very flat so I cant imagine you'd have a hard time with one bag. 

4 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Should be an easy walk and I recall it's downhill in both directions.  OK, maybe not.  It  is going from station to pier and only slightly uphill going back.  

My recollection is also that it is downhill from the train depot to the cruise terminal.  We have visited the train depot just to see it as it is beautiful, but we have departed ships in San Diego several times.  We have observed passengers from the ship walking the slight upward incline to the train depot with their luggage with no apparent difficulty.

I don't get talk of "downhill" from Santa Fe Depot to the Cruise Port. It is flat. Look at this Map

This is standing at the cruise ship terminal location looking down Broadway to Santa Fe Depot, which is below the tall building with the top that looks like Philips head screwdriver. As you can see, it is flat.

Sorry to disagree but the train station does sit higher than the pier.  Been there many times.  Granted it's not much but the station is higher as downtown is higher the further up Broadway you go.  The elevation of the Santa Fe Depot is 13.12 feet and the pier is 9 feet.  So there you have it 4.12 feet down or up hill.  

OP, we parked for a cruise in the parking lot closest to the train station and wheeled our luggage down to the pier without an issue.  

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Sorry to disagree but the train station does sit higher than the pier.  Been there many times.  Granted it's not much but the station is higher as downtown is higher the further up Broadway you go.  The elevation of the Santa Fe Depot is 13.12 feet and the pier is 9 feet.  So there you have it 4.12 feet down or up hill. 

When we first moved to San Diego for my DW's work I ran the waterfront every morning a cruise ship came in; after I went to the Starbucks in One America Plaza (next to Santa Fe Depot) where the trolley is. There is no noticeable elevation change; a 4' change in a 1,000 yard walk isn't what I'd call "uphill".

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 4:07 PM, scottca075 said:

When we first moved to San Diego for my DW's work I ran the waterfront every morning a cruise ship came in; after I went to the Starbucks in One America Plaza (next to Santa Fe Depot) where the trolley is. There is no noticeable elevation change; a 4' change in a 1,000 yard walk isn't what I'd call "uphill".

I lived in FL and 4.12 feet is definitely a "hill".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/11/2019 at 1:36 PM, Hobie said:

Can I walk from the Santa Fe train depot. on Kettner in San Diego to the Cruise terminal?  Is it a difficult walk with one bag?  How long is the walk?

Thank you.

Have seen lots of people doing this after the cruise and many of them were in their 70s and even 80s.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 1:58 PM, DaveOKC said:

Have seen lots of people doing this after the cruise and many of them were in their 70s and even 80s.  

Just starting to research our cruise, does the train go to San diego airport?  We have just the day to look around so hoping to store our luggage and make the most of it.

1 hour ago, welshrich said:

Just starting to research our cruise, does the train go to San diego airport?  We have just the day to look around so hoping to store our luggage and make the most of it.

I am not certain, but I do not think it does.  Besides, why bother - taxi is a 10 minute ride ($15) right from the pier to the airport - shorter and alot fewer hassles.

You might try storing your bags at the Wyndam right across from the pier - I bet a nice tip would get it done.  Then easy taxi to airport later.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, welshrich said:

The train DOES NOT go to the airport. There is a city bus that services the airport. It's about a 10-15 minute ride.

BTW there is a new transit center hub in the planning stages that will attempt to integrate rail/air transportation, but that's at least 10 years away and will cost $4.7 billion.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/story/2019-09-20/4b-the-price-tag-for-a-grand-central-station-and-underground-people-mover-to-san-diego-airport

• Thanks 1