coffee

aprilsp88

I did see them using ground coffee in the lido.  There could be a difference between the MDR brewers, or by length of time it is held between brewing and serving.

I drink my coffee black and find the house brew to be fine.  I will note that I am not a "coffee snob" and your tastes may differ.

3 minutes ago, stratixman said:

On Kdam the best coffee is served at the Dutch Cafe, although it is extra charge. I have never found HAL regular coffee to be vile. Nothing HAL serves could ever be as bad the stuff my church brews up Sunday for after the service. LOL.

I challenge your church’s brew to the Daytona Beach airport’s brew. Undrinkable, and torture when we have early morning flights.

The only place to get a coffee on the Koningsdam or NS that is REAL coffee (not American crap)  is in the Dutch Cafe and you have to ask for a Rotterdam Drip... My mother knows the dutch name for it and asked for that and its 100x better than any coffee you get on the ship 

• 1 month later...

Recently off the Nieuw Statendam and enjoyed the desert treats in the Grand Dutch Cafe.  Somehow or another I missed this Rotterdam Drip coffee that has been mentioned! And I love coffee!  Not sure how that happened.  I thought they only served cappuccinos and lates which are not my thing at the the Grand Dutch cafe. I would have LOVED a good cup of brewed coffee.  (To me, MDR / Lido is just ok, not bad but not excellent). 

OK, I guess I’ll just have to sail on the NS again or Kdam to enjoy the coffee and be able to bring home a bag!  😉According to the below HAL blog, they sell the coffee at the Dutch Cafe.  Must have missed the coffee beans for sale too! Guess I was too focused on those delicious and huge chocolate chip cookies😋😋😋

interesting HAL blog info:  https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/holland-america-line-unveils-exclusive-rotterdam-1873-coffee-in-partnership-with-beukenhorst-coffee-usa-inc-300781765.html

Edited by margar

2 hours ago, esimon said:

I hate Starbucks - find it - what's the word - oh yes - Vile -   I enjoy coffee on the ship -    to each his own - not a wine snob either. -

hope you all figure out how to solve this problem 

+1

Always avoid Starbucks......what's the word....bitter.

Holland America Line coffee works fine for us....whether it's decaf w/dessert in the MDR, breakfast at Lido or room service coffee...It's all good to us!

Good luck w/your coffee issues.....

Hopefully HAL's coffee is better than Princess' coffee. Princess' room service coffee was so awful we brought along a jar of Trader Joe's Instant on our last cruise to doctor it up. It's like they waved some grounds over the pot and called it coffee.

Our first HAL cruise is in April, hopefully the coffee is drinkable.

If you crave Kopi luwak or least.. Jamaican Blue Mountain, you'll want to jump ship and swim to the nearest on shore Barista.  

Pack an old pair of socks and 2 weeks worth of used coffee grounds and it will be kin to the room service coffee. 

PS: I'm so sorry to be ugly. My honest opinion. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
missed a word
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 10:14 AM, cat shepard said:

And we discovered that not all Lido coffee is created equal.

No clue why, but the self-serve coffee from the big pots tasted much better than the coffee the servers poured. I wish I had thought to ask about the source of the coffee in those carafes.  

In my experience, coffee coming our one machine in the Lido can be good one time and later the same day be blech later. But that has even happened to me at home! 😮

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VegasRealtor said:

I believe the brand of coffee used on all HAL ships, in all different stations, in various types, is a Dutch product called Beukenhorst. It can be purchased in bulk (which is what I do) from their supplier in Florida.

Yes, that is correct.  Beukenhorst coffee from the Netherlands. (Didn’t realize an individual was able to purchase their coffee, interesting 😃)   It is talked about in the blog post I referenced in the above link.  Here is a bit from the HAL blog post:

Rotterdam 1873 is roasted fresh in small batches in Beukenhorst Coffee USA Inc.'s West Palm Beach facility and supplied to the ships. For more than 20 years, Holland America Line has been serving Beukenhorst Koffie imported from the Netherlands in the Lido Market, Dining Room and other venues where complimentary coffee is served.  

"Beukenhorst Koffie has worked with Holland America Line for many years, and it was an exciting opportunity to work together to create a personalized, premium coffee experience through our small-batch roasting process," said Hans Wiggemans, co-founder of Beukenhorst Coffee USA Inc. "Our hope with having Rotterdam 1873 available for purchase is that guests will go home and reminisce about their Holland America Line cruise each time they enjoy a cup of our coffee." 

The Dutch have been roasting coffee since the 16th century, with signature blends from various regions. Arabica coffee is believed to have been the first species of coffee to be cultivated 500 years ago in Arabia. The Dutch, famous for their seafaring, brought the plant from Arabia to Java where the island became a leader in coffee production. 

About Beukenhorst Coffee USA Inc.

In 2017 Beukenhorst Coffee USA Inc. opened an espresso equipment showroom, training center and small-batch micro-roastery, 4th Wave Brew, to be able to fill the increasing demand for small-batch specialty coffees. Beukenhorst Coffee USA Inc. creates specialty blends, cold-brew coffee and private label projects using the freshest, cleanest and purest coffee available.

Beukenhorst Koffie was founded in 1784 when Albert Beukenhorst settled in Winterswijk, the Netherlands, as a coffee roaster and retailer. Today, the company continues to roast Arabica coffee beans through a traditional slow roasting drum system, giving the beans time to develop their taste while retaining the important flavors.

Edited by margar

On 2/16/2020 at 1:11 PM, esimon said:

I hate Starbucks - find it - what's the word - oh yes - Vile -   I enjoy coffee on the ship -    to each his own - not a wine snob either. -

hope you all figure out how to solve this problem 

I do not go near Starbucks as it is over roasted to being on the edge of burnt.  But being a loyal Peetnik I tend to avoid Starbucks like the plague.  Now why my DW likes Starbucks I never know, but she puts more dairy and sugar than what was coffee to start with.  To each their own.