Which ship thru panama canal

bobnfl

We did the Coral recently, nice ship, but since it does not have a Crown Grill, I would not go on it again... don't care for steak house menu on the Coral and we are not fans of Sabatini's... so if these issues matter to you... be aware... 

18 hours ago, Punkydog said:

Going on the Emerald in a couple weeks. Have inside cabin. Where on the ship is the best place to view the locks? Also, is there a must excursion? Lastly, Emerald not medallion as yet, correct?

It's best seen from the outside decks, with a quick way to get inside to the a.c. for relief <g>.

20 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

World Cruise 2019:

enhance

enhance

enhance

I don't know what cruise the Sun Princess was on in June, 2019 when she went through the Panama Canal, but it wasn't a world cruise. From the schedule, it appears she was based in Asia from March until September 2019.

The Sun Princess' sister, the Sea Princess does the World Cruise every year, including 2019. She goes through the old locks in the Panama Canal.

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't know what cruise the Sun Princess was on in June, 2019 when she went through the Panama Canal, but it wasn't a world cruise. From the schedule, it appears she was based in Asia from March until September 2019.

The Sun Princess' sister, the Sea Princess does the World Cruise every year, including 2019. She goes through the old locks in the Panama Canal.

If she was based in Asia, why was she transiting the canal from East to West?  Westbound transit...EM

9 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't know, but the Sun Princess didn't do a world cruise in 2019. Maybe someone will know the Sun Princess itineraries for mid 2019.

Odd, the calendar for her on cruisecal has her in Hong Kong on March 23, then nothing until Hong Kong on Sept. 26.  From cruiseportinsider port schedules I see she was in San Francisco 27/28 June.  EM

On 12/25/2019 at 12:59 PM, BarbinMich said:

I think it's always like that since it's so close too the equator (8 degrees north).

We were told that January would be the coolest time of year, regardless. 

At least that helped in terms of visiting the other ports throughout the itinerary.

1 hour ago, nini said:

We were told that January would be the coolest time of year, regardless. 

At least that helped in terms of visiting the other ports throughout the itinerary.

I believe the term "coolest" could be a little misleading.  I would agree that January is one of the best months to visit Panama when considering overall comfort.  The high and low temperature vary little during the year, highs are upper 80s to low 90s and about the lowest you will see in the Canal area is 75ish.  The reason January is one of the more comfortable times to visit is normally the Dry Season is in full swing at that time and the trade winds provide a fresh breeze and the humidity is as good as you can hope for in that part of the world.  However, I probably should add that anyone from a temperate climate will probably notice the humidity.  One other plus for January, there should not be much rain!

Yes, thank you about the humidity! That really makes an enormous impact

regardless of the temp. 

I have a nice camera and the first time I went out on our balcony (as we reached

further south), I thought my camera lens was broken... it was all filmy.

😉  It was the humidity and temperature change from inside to outside.