Reflection - Where's the Whisk(e)y?

wpgcycler

Last time I was on Reflection, the great unwashed were allowed in Michael's Club as it was a venue which specialized in beer and whisky. Since it is now closed to all but suite guests (and a few other mucky mucks I believe), is there any particular bar where the full whisky selection is featured? Are whiskies and brandies available in Cellar Masters? Thanks

2 minutes ago, wahlct said:

If it's anything like the Edge, you better pick something else.  Last week the only things I found on the ship were Maker's Mark, Woodford, Jim Beam, and 1 bottle of Elijah Craig small batch.

And no Scotch or Irish?

42 minutes ago, wahlct said:

If it's anything like the Edge, you better pick something else.  Last week the only things I found on the ship were Maker's Mark, Woodford, Jim Beam, and 1 bottle of Elijah Craig small batch.

That’s basically what the EQ had in September...I’m expecting about the same on my March Edge sailing...

Not a huge selection of whisk(e)ys.  The Macallan they had is targeted towards the travel industry called Quest.  I was not impressed with it.  You might find some Woodford Double Oaked.  I once asked for a whiskey and coke to see what they would give me.  She poured Seagram's 7.  I had to pour it down the drain.  🤣

1 minute ago, amunhbuu said:

Not a huge selection of whisk(e)ys.  The Macallan they had is targeted towards the travel industry called Quest.  I was not impressed with it.  You might find some Woodford Double Oaked.  I once asked for a whiskey and coke to see what they would give me.  She poured Seagram's 7.  I had to pour it down the drain.  🤣

Yeah, my question is not so much about the selection but rather is there a bar where they're certain to have the full selection as in the original incarnation of Michaels. I've seen a list that suggests many of the interesting beers are available in Cellar Masters but nothing about where the Whisky's went. 

1 minute ago, wpgcycler said:

Yeah, my question is not so much about the selection but rather is there a bar where they're certain to have the full selection as in the original incarnation of Michaels. I've seen a list that suggests many of the interesting beers are available in Cellar Masters but nothing about where the Whisky's went. 

Most of the bars have them outside of the Martini Bar.  On the Summit, both of the outside bars had them.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

And no Scotch or Irish?

We were on Reflection in June and it was a challenge to find what i would consider a top shelf whisk(e)y. The only Irish i could find was Jameson..thats it.

For the past 5 years we have been sailing in suites and i have become increasingly dissatisfied with the selection of premium brands.  At one time, before Michaels Club was assigned to the suites, i was able to get Midleton and a few other Irish.

I had success finding a better selection of Scotch at the World Class Bar.  the bartender seemed to have a grasp of what was available on the ship and where to find it.

Over the past few years we have cruised twice per year and have found the selection of top shelf brands has been diminishing.  Michaels/The Retreat still has a very good selection, however, I have always found Michaels on the Reflection to be overly busy and search out quieter locations.....i think you may have success at the WCB.

Edited by ScubesDad
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Last time I was on Reflection, the great unwashed were allowed in Michael's Club as it was a venue which specialized in beer and whisky. Since it is now closed to all but suite guests (and a few other mucky mucks I believe),

What is a mucky muck? 

muck·et·y-muck
/ˌməkədēˈmək/
noun
INFORMALNORTH AMERICAN
noun: mucky-muck
  1. a person of great importance or self-importance.
    "a big Hollywood muckety-muck"

In this case, I'm under the impression it applies to those who have reached the highest level of customer loyalty - but maybe I'm wrong?
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, amunhbuu said:

I once asked for a whiskey and coke to see what they would give me.  She poured Seagram's 7.  I had to pour it down the drain.  🤣

At any bar if you ask generically for a "whiskey and coke" they are going to use a well whiskey such as Seagram's.  Nothing wrong with that.  

2 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

Look in the glass cabinets in the Ensemble and you will be able to see what they have. The better brandies and whiskey are usually kept in there. There will be 5 or 6 Malts but I can't remember which other than the Macallan Quest.

Thats what I did, I also like others asked the bartenders at the WCB which is best on board etc.  Just takes some searching in beginning.  i usually end up searching out the Hotel Manager each cruise to say hello, I ran worked in hotels for 20+ years.  

17 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

That’s basically what the EQ had in September...I’m expecting about the same on my March Edge sailing...

On The Edge go to the bar in Eden, they had a wide variety in November...

Cheers and bon voyage

14 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Thats what I did, I also like others asked the bartenders at the WCB which is best on board etc.  Just takes some searching in beginning.  i usually end up searching out the Hotel Manager each cruise to say hello, I ran worked in hotels for 20+ years.  

The WCB is ok but it only stocks Diageo products which are more known for the blended Jonny Walker products although they do have a fair number of single malt brands but I am unsure how many of those find their way on to the ship or to the WCB.

Can't speak about the Edge, but on the older M and S ships most of the bars will have a few different Scotches.  nearly all of them will have Dewars as the well scotch, Red Label,🤮,  Black Label and Glen Fiddich 12 or Glenlivet.  Some will have a bottle of Macallan select oak and maybe Highland Park. the World Class Bar has a few higher end bottles (JW Platinum, Haig).  The Ensemble lounge you might also find Laphroig and possibly Macallan Quest and some other JW varieties..  The selection isn't stellar as far as scotch goes but you're not going to go thirsty looking for a reasonable scotch either.  The Equinox has the Whiskey house up on the Lawn Club where they sometimes run tastings. It's not a bar though and last time I was on the ship is was closed most of the time.  It does have pretty good selection.

This is what the premium bevy package says they carry.  I've never seen some of these on any ship.

• Aberfeldy 12
  • Bulleit Rye
  • Chivas Regal 12
  • Crown Royal
  • Dewar’s 12
  • Gentleman Jack
  • Glen Scotia Single Malt
  • Glenfiddich Reserva Cask
  • Glenfiddich Select
  • The Glenlivet
  • Haig Scotch
  • Highland Park Scotches
  • Highland Park Elnar
  • Jack Daniel's Black
  • Jack Daniel's Honey
  • Jack Daniel's Rye
  • Jack Daniel's Single Barrel
  • Johnnie Walker Black
  • The Macallan
  • The Macallan Lumina
  • The Macallan Quest
  • Maker’s Mark
  • Rittenhouse Rye
  • Wild Turkey
  • Woodford Double Oaked
  • Woodford Reserve
  • Woodford Rye
  • Thanks 1

Read this thread  with great interest. I am a serious Bourbon drinker. I agree with the P/P   that  Woodford was the best available Bourbon, including in Michael’s Club. I was on  a RCCL ship earlier this month. They had Buffalo Trace, one of my favorites.