Glory pulling into port this morning.

theckenlady

A friend who works at the Port said they shipped people down to the mouth of the Mississippi as the ship was coming in last night so they could board and have all this cleaned up by the time they pulled in the port. Its ready to patch up! https://www.fox8live.com/2019/12/22/river-pilots-bring-damaged-carnival-cruiseship-new-orleans/

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Looks like they are building a false wall around the damaged area on the inside. Wonder what they will do for the rest of it. 

It looks like they're welding large metal panels to cover the outside.  

There needs to be some structure back in that corner to hold up any new section lifted into place while it is fitted and welded, so my guess is that's what those panels are for.  They would cut out a section and move it out aft, supporting it from above inside, and from those plates outside, and then slide another section in the same way.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

There needs to be some structure back in that corner to hold up any new section lifted into place while it is fitted and welded, so my guess is that's what those panels are for.  They would cut out a section and move it out aft, supporting it from above inside, and from those plates outside, and then slide another section in the same way.  

They were going through a lot of effort to position the two panels next to each other and to grind off a corner of the first panel installed.  To me that suggests that the panels are going to be there a while and may be more than a temporary support for finished sections.  Hopefully someone will post a picture of the rear corner when the Glory leaves New Orleans.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

They were going through a lot of effort to position the two panels next to each other and to grind off a corner of the first panel installed.  To me that suggests that the panels are going to be there a while and may be more than a temporary support for finished sections.  Hopefully someone will post a picture of the rear corner when the Glory leaves New Orleans.

From the view this morning it appears they welded nine of those panels in place.

We just read in the Baton Rouge advocate newspaper that the ships sailing time was uncertain because they were to continue to work on it Monday. If that is the case i bet there is some real HOT HEADED people sitting in New Orleans all this time.

i just went to port of New Orleans webcam (7:50 am Monday) and there is a carnival ship sitting right at the port.???

Edited by cruisinmeme
Added to post

John Heald originally reported that the Glory saw supposed to sail at midnight last night. Is it still docked in New Orleans? In regards to the dining room, I'm guessing it doesn't get 100% repaired until it goes into dry dock, whenever that may be. That wall that was just put up is clearly just temporary.

19 minutes ago, kitty2264 said:

From the view this morning it appears they welded nine of those panels in place.

It appears that they are sealing up the corner with the plate steel until such time as they can affect a permanent repair.

2 minutes ago, jsglow said:

It appears that they are sealing up the corner with the plate steel until such time as they can affect a permanent repair.

Steel plates on the side, but they have built a tent over the opening at the rear.  At least they painted everything white.