Best way to get Souvenirs home from Alaska/Seattle

jlynchtx

We are flying to Seattle from Texas to do a 7 day Alaska cruise. I know that luggage space will be at a premium and I also know my family will want to buy a few souvenirs from Alaska. What is the best way to get them back home? Pack an extra bag? Or ship them back? Does Seattle have a UPS or Fedex location, or should I ship them the last port in Alaska (Ketchikan) using USPS? Thanks for any feedback. 

I have sent things home US postal service.  Lots of people do, especially people on extended itineraries.  I tend to purchase books and save handouts, etc.  These are heavy and it’s nice to put them in a “if it fits it ships” box to meet me at home.   Ulu knives are also best shipped home or in your checked luggage.   The post office in Skagway and Juneau are in the tourist area.  Ketchikan is probably also near the dock.  

This may not be for everyone, and it really depends on what you are buying and how big/heavy it is in it's totality.  But sometimes I'll bring old tennis shoes or an old jacket that I planned to discard after the trip and discard them before getting to the airport to travel home.  If it is truly worn out toss them or if they are in good shape but just not your cup of tea you could see if your last port of the city you travel home at has a goodwill store, etc. you could donate it at.

I was mentioning this to someone recently, and they recommended not to leave it in the trash bin on the ship though or in like a Caribbean port that has to export all it's trash, etc. 

With that said going to a post office in a port or even a place to donate the items takes valuable port time away from you, so I'd just ensure I don't fill my bag fully for the trip out or bring an extra bag and pay the bag fee the one way back if needed!

I've never had issues just fitting our purchases into our checked luggage or carry on.  I know I'm going to buy stuff so I just make sure there is room going out there. 

DH travels a lot to Japan and he ends up with so many purchases each time.  He packs a big duffel bag into his suitcase on the way to Japan.  Takes up about as much room as a lightweight jacket.  On the way home, he fills that duffel with a majority of his clothes (and brings a lock for the duffel) and checks it.  He uses other clothes to pack around the purchases in his suitcase.   We might start doing that for our travels together if we're pretty packed from the start.  

On 12/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, jlynchtx said:

We are flying to Seattle from Texas to do a 7 day Alaska cruise. I know that luggage space will be at a premium and I also know my family will want to buy a few souvenirs from Alaska. What is the best way to get them back home? Pack an extra bag? Or ship them back? Does Seattle have a UPS or Fedex location, or should I ship them the last port in Alaska (Ketchikan) using USPS? Thanks for any feedback. 

If you can wait the entire trip and buy all of your souvenirs in Ketchikan (they have everything that any other port would have except the port logo tshirts or sweats i.e. Juneau, Skagway etc. ) You can buy all souvenirs in the 3 Tongass Trading Post shops and save all 3 store receipts andf then in the last store - just give all your stuff and the receipts and they will ship ALL to your home for a flat rate of 19.95!   Does not matter how many items or how big the orders are!  It takes approximately two weeks to receive but it is worth it not to have to carry it home or ship it yourself.  It will save a ton of money.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...