review to follow  maybe next week 😉

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-krz8st/

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-khf4nQ/

Happy Holidays  to all

Lyn

Please don't keep us in suspense, Lynne-

Which cruise did you prefer?

• Haha 2

Lyn, I know that you commented that you disliked the narrower behind the screens area of the Crystal buffet, but seems it is only fair to show a more overall view for comparison purposes. Here are more expansive views of Crystal's buffet area (known as Marketplace)...one daytime view where breakfast and lunch are served and one evening view ready to serve the Churrascaria (Brazilian Barbecue). 

marketplacecrysserenity.jpg

marketplacecrystalserenity.jpg

Edited by edgee
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got the pics from stock footage on the web, but I am pretty sure both pics are of Serenity. The daytime shot which shows the more open space appears to have been taken from the rear of the ship looking forward on the starboard side. The area toward the rear is more open, and, as you can see, the screens start several tables up from the rear of the ship. 

• Thanks 1

@LHT28as you probably know, we recently took our first Crystal cruise, after sailing on Oceania Riviera last year. We found Crystal a step up in terms of evening entertainment, daily activities, enrichment program and internet. Food for us was comparable overall (excellent on both ships), but we liked O buffet better. We also like O afternoon tea better. Service was a bit more personal on Crystal, but we found service excellent on both ships.

I would be very interested to hear your comparison. We are booked 2 future cruises on O and 3 on Crystal.

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

@LHT28as you probably know, we recently took our first Crystal cruise, after sailing on Oceania Riviera last year. We found Crystal a step up in terms of evening entertainment, daily activities, enrichment program and internet. Food for us was comparable overall (excellent on both ships), but we liked O buffet better. We also like O afternoon tea better. Service was a bit more personal on Crystal, but we found service excellent on both ships.

I would be very interested to hear your comparison. We are booked 2 future cruises on O and 3 on Crystal.

I did not find the daily activities any better than O

most of the lectures were spa driven for the purpose of selling you something & we had gone to the same lectures on O 

As I posted on the Crystal forum  no one called us by name except the Maitre'd  at Waterside & only because  we had an issue  there

Mind you lately on O no one calls us by name either LOL

Usually when they do it means we have caused some problem 😉

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I did not find the daily activities any better than O

most of the lectures were spa driven for the purpose of selling you something & we had gone to the same lectures on O 

As I posted on the Crystal forum  no one called us by name except the Maitre'd  at Waterside & only because  we had an issue  there

Usually when they do it means we have caused some problem 😉

We attended 6 guest lectures on Crystal, they were very educational. There is also a movie theater on Crystal. 

However, I was comparing a port intensive O cruise with more relaxed Crystal cruise with more sea days, so it might not be a fair comparison.

By more personal service, I did not mean necessarily staff calling you by names. It just felt a bit more attentive, but as I mentioned, we found the service on both ships excellent and comparable overall.

9 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We attended 6 guest lectures on Crystal, they were very educational. There is also a movie theater on Crystal. 

different ships  different lecturers 😉

Of course based on your comments for months before, your mind had been made up even before you stepped on the Crystal cruise. If folks don't believe me, all they have to do is find all of Lynns' threads on the Crystal board.

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

How interesting. They always called us "Mrs. XXX." I asked our cabin attendant if she could call me by my first name and she said she wasn't allowed to do that. That was a negative for me.

14 minutes ago, clo said:

How interesting. They always called us "Mrs. XXX." I asked our cabin attendant if she could call me by my first name and she said she wasn't allowed to do that. That was a negative for me.

Well of course the room attendants  & the GDR Maiitre'd  called us by name   but staff you pass in the hallways etc.. did not  & never expected them to do so 

except our favourite GM of course 😉

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Well of course the room attendants  & the GDR Maiitre'd  called us by name   but staff you pass in the hallways etc.. did not  & never expected them to do so 

except our favourite GM of course 😉

So they called you by your first names?

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

no

Mr or Mrs  XXX

Only years ago  one of the security guys  would call me Miss Lynda

But  if I can call someone by their first name then I want them to be able to do the same.

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

does not bother me one way or the other

personal choice

It seems like it's not a "personal choice" f the the company won't allow their employees to call us by our first names.

I don't know if this is a "high suite" perk but I suspect it is.  When we have arrived at the GDR on recent cruises (over several years) they always address us by name...  And it has been clear for a very long time that staff has looked at photos of passengers and know who they are.  But on Marina or Riviera I wouldn't expect them to know all the passengers by name.  They may well know the people they will interact with -- as for example your cabin stewards.

OTOH, several years ago we ran into a cabin steward who had been in our PH suite several years earlier, only now we were on Deck 4 heading for the ship exit (where she was working), and she immediately recognized us -- as we did her.

So many of these people may recognize you, but not know your name ... as we often don't recall the names of people who helped us in the past.

• Like 1