A-Z .... The ABC and D Islands on the Zuiderdam

scubacruiserx2

Great pics and review. Thanks so much for sharing. We will be on Zuiderdam this summer for their Baltic cruise and I have a question. I noticed that the MDR dinner menus you posted include a number of selection s that would normally be considered lunch items (reuben, burger). I've never seen that on HAL for dinner  before. Is this something that is more common on the Caribbean cruises or is this something new fleet wide?

Edited by yerdua

3 minutes ago, yerdua said:

Great pics and review. Thanks so much for sharing. We will be on Zuiderdam this summer for their Baltic cruise and I have a question. I noticed that the MDR dinner menus you posted include a number of selection s that would normally be considered lunch items (reuben, burger). I've never seen that on HAL for dinner  before. Is this something that is more common on the Caribbean cruises or is this something new fleet wide?

Thank you , and congratulations on your trip . We also did a Baltic cruise on the Zuiderdam last year . When the Zuiderdam was at sea lunch was served in the MDR and the Pinnacle . That's where the burger and Ruben were served at lunch in both the Caribbean and the Baltic . Here's the link for the Baltic which also includes Norway , Scotland and Iceland .

On 12/27/2019 at 11:10 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

The only time that we got a CO bag was when we tried CO on the NS . Hot water is something that we take for granted sometimes like Air Conditioning . Some passengers on our cruise did't have AC and it quite warm and humid on this cruise . We found out that the hot water was out in our aft section in several cabins . I opened the door to hear the evening announcements and I saw our very elderly neighbor in nothing but a towel . We guess that he found a shower elsewhere on the ship .

Interesting.  I guess this is another example of how  things vary on ships - from the totes thread posted by twodjs:

We have received this bag on both recent cruises on Oosterdam in a Neptune suite. Two mesh side pockets, a solid pocket and a zippered middle area. Good construction and very useful!20191219_093521.thumb.jpg.a586a4c444ecfd55d2d2b0129812fc03.jpg

17 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Breakfast coming into Bonaire . The flowers were being brought out to the tables and in the public areas .

IMG_0132 (2).JPG

IMG_0133 (3).JPG

DSC00719 (2).JPG

DSC00722 (2).JPG

DSC00726 (2).JPG

DSC00727 (3).JPG

DSC00731 (2).JPG

Nice to see the flowers out on tables 🙂 

Enjoying your review.  Thank you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

Interesting.  I guess this is another example of how  things vary on ships - from the totes thread posted by twodjs:

We have received this bag on both recent cruises on Oosterdam in a Neptune suite. Two mesh side pockets, a solid pocket and a zippered middle area. Good construction and very useful!20191219_093521.thumb.jpg.a586a4c444ecfd55d2d2b0129812fc03.jpg

The last time that we were in the this room our attendant forgot that we were Neptune until we asked for a corkscrew . Perhaps because we are not on the same deck as the Neptune Lounge and most of the Neptune suites .

6 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Wonderful reports -- great pictures.

Glad to see flowers being placed around the ship.

We were thrilled it was like Spring after a long Winter . At this point in the cruise the ship had no Christmas decorations except what people had brought .

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

The last time that we were in the this room our attendant forgot that we were Neptune until we asked for a corkscrew . Perhaps because we are not on the same deck as the Neptune Lounge and most of the Neptune suites .

That may well be the case although I would like to think you wouldn’t be forgotten 😉 

7 hours ago, kazu said:

That may well be the case although I would like to think you wouldn’t be forgotten 😉 

We had  the aft Neptunes a couple of times - I wouldn't have any other Neptune in Alaska or the Panama Canal but a lot of the Neptune amenities didn't make it to our cabin - or arrived later in the trip.    The MDR menu to order room service on that wonderful balcony never made it and a lot of the older ships didn't have the on-screen menu  hard copies never came.   On the Zuiderdam we had to go ask for it in the lounge but I guess it was on the TV.  

Thanks so much for this review. I am sailing on HAL for the first time in January on the same ship. I love seeing the posted menus. Could you tell me, in addition to the items listed in the MDR, do they have additional items nightly? I have only cruised Princess and Celebrity who offered a "classics" menu each night with steak, chicken etc. We have some less adventurous folks in our group!

Thanks again

10 hours ago, JNAL2T said:

Thanks so much for this review. I am sailing on HAL for the first time in January on the same ship. I love seeing the posted menus. Could you tell me, in addition to the items listed in the MDR, do they have additional items nightly? I have only cruised Princess and Celebrity who offered a "classics" menu each night with steak, chicken etc. We have some less adventurous folks in our group!

Thanks again

You're welcome and welcome on board . Princess and Celebrity are our other go to cruise lines as well . They  did have some always available type items but we're hard pressed to remember them since we didn't order them . It seems like it was chicken , salmon and Caesar Salad with or without chicken . As I look at photos today we'll post the menu if we see it .

21 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Catching up with your reports and all the wonderful pictures -- especially of the birds.

Well thank you and I'm glad that I had the telephoto with us . Our guide said that a lot of birds migrate through Bonaire . The Cara Cara bird with the orange beak we had seen before in Patagonia last year .