Large Luggage Carry On

rhinomike

I have done this multiple times with the same piece of luggage with varying experiences.  Sometimes I get no push back from the greeters/security.  Other times they say it is too big and I insist it is not, having sailed from the port before, and they let me place it into the scanner and it fits without a problem.  Other times they still would not let it through and tell me to go outside and check it and I go to another line and it is not a problem on the other line.  Recently it was denied and they were actually watching me so I gave in and checked it (after first taking out some things that I wanted for right away after boarding).  I do have to say it was kind of nice not dragging it on to the ship.  On the other hand I have been unpacked before lunch when bringing it on directly which is nice too.

4 hours ago, jdemps said:

The odds may be slim but it happens.  I didn't say it was 3 on the same cruise, it is 3 total over different trips.  

I don't appreciate your tone in the comment above and would appreciate if you would just STFU if you don't have anything relevant to type. Thank you for your cooperation with butting out of my comments.....lmao

I honestly couldn't care less what you "appreciate".  I'm not here to please you.  I just think it's utterly amazing that you know three people that have lost bags, regardless of how many different trips.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2019 at 12:29 PM, PekingeseLady said:

I use a Large 28" suitcase.  My husband is on his scooter, so I have both are carryon things, 4 bottles of wine and 2 12pks of soda, as we usually go 2 weeks.  So I need a huge suitcase.  It is a bit heavy to lift onto the table though, but so far I have managed, LOL

Fair warning though, you will be asked multiple times if you want to check you bag.  LOL  DH and I always make a bet on how many times they'll try to take my bag.

On 12/28/2019 at 12:58 PM, sarpon said:

I don't know why you prefer to carry on a large bag, but you may want to check a big bag during embarkation, then use self assist for debarkation so you don't have to look for your bag in customs.

I figured she's carrying a large bag of carry-on things (wine, soda, possibly medical equipment, etc) and one large bag is easier for her to handle than several small bags.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:02 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I'll never forget the story someone told on here about their suitcase that was missing for nearly the entire cruise. They did everything they could to track it down, to no avail. Long story short, come to find out, their suitcase had ended up in a cabin of 4 ladies cruising together. Somehow, someway, each of those ladies thought the mystery suitcase belonged to one of their roommates, so it got set aside and ignored (I think they said it was put in a wall locker). They didn't realize it until, I think, the second to the last night of the cruise. The owner finally got it back when the cruise was just about over.

With space so limited in a cabin, especially when FOUR people are staying in it, I don't know how they managed to set a strange suitcase aside, that went unopened the whole time they had it, without realizing something wasn't right within a day or two.

Yeah, I was that poster.  Thankfully it was the only time it happened to me and I've been on over 25 cruises.  I will say that on my last two cruises we received notices advising that someone's suitcase was misplaced and asking everyone to check their cabin, so it probably happens more than we realize.  They sent out the same type of notice when this happened to us, but 4 young women apparently don't read notices (lol).  We were told that it was actually their cabin steward that located the bag the day before the 7 day cruise ended.

We've started carrying on our own bags on shorter cruises (smaller bags) just because it's nice to get everything unpacked - and we are now platinum so we can drop the bags off as soon as we get on.  I would never want to lug around a large suitcase if my room wasn't available when I board - but, I see lots of luggage on Lido as passengers wait for cabins to be ready.

• Like 1

On my first three cruise, twice they misplaced my checked luggage for a time. I think it was a day or two later both times that I finally got it. So now I carry it on.

I typically do a 28" and my wife does a monster 30" roller, I have had issues with porters being very persistent and I almost have to be rude to get past them.They try to grab the bag out of my hand. But I've never had any issues with Carnival staff and the larger sizes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

Yeah, I was that poster.  Thankfully it was the only time it happened to me and I've been on over 25 cruises.  I will say that on my last two cruises we received notices advising that someone's suitcase was misplaced and asking everyone to check their cabin, so it probably happens more than we realize.  They sent out the same type of notice when this happened to us, but 4 young women apparently don't read notices (lol).  We were told that it was actually their cabin steward that located the bag the day before the 7 day cruise ended.

We've started carrying on our own bags on shorter cruises (smaller bags) just because it's nice to get everything unpacked - and we are now platinum so we can drop the bags off as soon as we get on.  I would never want to lug around a large suitcase if my room wasn't available when I board - but, I see lots of luggage on Lido as passengers wait for cabins to be ready.

It's just crazy to me that four people didn't realize there was a strange suitcase in their cabin for almost a week. 🙄

We carried everything on last month for the first time just to see what we thought. We really liked it and, as long as we have FTTF, we'll continue to do it. I wouldn't dare take my large suitcase to Lido if our cabin wasn't ready. I've done it before with a carry-on sized bag and, while manageable, was still a pain.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, five. said:

I typically do a 28" and my wife does a monster 30" roller, I have had issues with porters being very persistent and I almost have to be rude to get past them.They try to grab the bag out of my hand. But I've never had any issues with Carnival staff and the larger sizes.

Yeah, sometimes those porters can be as aggressive as some of the vendors at ports of call. As I said before, last month was the first time we carried all of our luggage with us. The porter who approached us let it go pretty easily, but we did have another family on the shuttle with us, and they let him have theirs. So that's probably why he gave up so easily with us.

I look at it this way. Porters are only available up until 2 hours before sail time. At that point, everyone has to take all of their own luggage onboard, no checked bags. So that right there tells you the scanners can handle it if need be. And if not, I assume they'd just search it by hand.

There was talk around the forum back in early 2018 about Miami terminal personnel refusing to let people take their large suitcases down the escalator after debarking the ship. Sure enough, after our Glory cruise in June '18, they were forcing everyone with large luggage to take the elevator. And there was only one elevator. They said it wasn't safe to bring the large bags down the escalator. The line for the elevator was LONG. I don't know if they still do that. We sailed out of NOLA last month and they didn't care.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Yeah, sometimes those porters can be as aggressive as some of the vendors at ports of call. As I said before, last month was the first time we carried all of our luggage with us. The porter who approached us let it go pretty easily, but we did have another family on the shuttle with us, and they let him have theirs. So that's probably why he gave up so easily with us.

I look at it this way. Porters are only available up until 2 hours before sail time. At that point, everyone has to take all of their own luggage onboard, no checked bags. So that right there tells you the scanners can handle it if need be. And if not, I assume they'd just search it by hand.

There was talk around the forum back in early 2018 about Miami terminal personnel refusing to let people take their large suitcases down the escalator after debarking the ship. Sure enough, after our Glory cruise in June '18, they were forcing everyone with large luggage to take the elevator. And there was only one elevator. They said it wasn't safe to bring the large bags down the escalator. The line for the elevator was LONG. I don't know if they still do that. We sailed out of NOLA last month and they didn't care.

I thought I was the only one who noticed this in the fine print 🙂 

On my last cruise, there was a flyer that went out to everyone on the ship about a lost piece of luggage.  

My husband also had a piece of luggage that never made it to our room.  The tag had fallen off, but they did locate the bag quickly at guest services. (I put two on my own luggage, but he did not do this.)  And my brother had his luggage confiscated because he put both my Mom's and his Dr. Pepper in the same luggage even though I told them not to do that. Clearly, though, totally different situation and both were, in a way, their own faults.

Honestly, Carnival seems to do a way better job than airlines do of keeping track of luggage.