Newbie questions - packing

37 minutes ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

There’s no need for that. Just ask your cabin attendant for more hangers. 

Been there done that.  How many times have you not seen your cabin attendant until at or after muster?  If my bags arrive before muster...I like to unpack right away.  Most of the time I am unpacked long before time for muster.

But I guess that's just me.  Simple for me to toss in extra plastic hangers.  To each their own.  

3 minutes ago, island visitor said:

We used to put a few bottles of water in our luggage that is checked.  So, this is not allowed any longer?

I use a separate duffel bag for water (5 or six bottles) filling in with walking shoes and light jackets.  Then simply fold and put in luggage upon disembarkation. 

The reason I use separate one?  If bag goes to "naughty room" for security inspection to be sure it really IS water in those bottles...I don't have to wait for my bags with the clothes in them...going down to get it much later when there are no lines.  It HAS happened before.  Though RCI states they want you to take those bottles in your carry on instead.  

My bag with the bottles was inspected and released to me...no problems.  But has only happened once that it got sent down to the bilge.

Edited by island lady

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

Been there done that.  How many times have you not seen your cabin attendant until at or after muster?  If my bags arrive before muster...I like to unpack right away.  Most of the time I am unpacked long before time for muster.

But I guess that's just me.  Simple for me to toss in extra plastic hangers.  To each their own.  

I’m a relatively new cruiser so I haven’t had that experience yet. Although it would be inconvenient if I had to wait to complete my unpacking, I’d have no problem laying my clothes flat on the bed until hangers arrived. Not the end of the world for me. I like to pack as little as I can get away with. 

1 hour ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

I’m a relatively new cruiser so I haven’t had that experience yet. Although it would be inconvenient if I had to wait to complete my unpacking, I’d have no problem laying my clothes flat on the bed until hangers arrived. Not the end of the world for me. I like to pack as little as I can get away with. 

That is what is so unique about us...every situation is different.  What works for me, may not work for you...vice versa.  There is no wrong or right way...just what is right for us.  Have a fantabulous cuise!  🙂 

2 hours ago, island visitor said:

We used to put a few bottles of water in our luggage that is checked.  So, this is not allowed any longer?

Not allowed according to Royal's FAQ.  Your experience may vary.

I always wash out my swimwear (and as a redhead, that means swimsuit, long-sleeved swimshirt, and long swim leggings -- no more sunburns for me!).  

I let it drip in the sink while I shower, then I let it drip in the shower while I dress for dinner.  Then I put my shower towel on the floor, lie my swimwear on top, then roll it up and step on it to get most of the water out.  

Then I put these magnets on the ceiling of the stateroom and hang each item from a hanger, and everything dries overnight with no dripping.  There's more air movement in the stateroom than there is in the bathroom, so I like hanging things out there for complete drying.

Some ships have the "anti-theft hotel hangers" (with the neck that connects with a fitting in the closet, rather than a hook to go over the rod) -- if there aren't any hook-hangers in the closet, your room steward can get you some to use with the magnets.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I always wash out my swimwear (and as a redhead, that means swimsuit, long-sleeved swimshirt, and long swim leggings -- no more sunburns for me!).  

I let it drip in the sink while I shower, then I let it drip in the shower while I dress for dinner.  Then I put my shower towel on the floor, lie my swimwear on top, then roll it up and step on it to get most of the water out.  

Then I put these magnets on the ceiling of the stateroom and hang each item from a hanger, and everything dries overnight with no dripping.  There's more air movement in the stateroom than there is in the bathroom, so I like hanging things out there for complete drying.

Some ships have the "anti-theft hotel hangers" (with the neck that connects with a fitting in the closet, rather than a hook to go over the rod) -- if there aren't any hook-hangers in the closet, your room steward can get you some to use with the magnets.

Or you could just toss a couple of cheap light plastic hangers in your suitcase to bring with you. 😉 

I use the same method, but drip dry suit in the shower before transferring to magnet on ceiling with my plastic hanger.  I have also washed out light items ( that I don't want ship's laundry to ruin) to drip dry and then hang as well....during longer cruises.  

I always ask for more hangers--not a problem.

I used to clip washed clothes to the back of the balcony chairs, but have found they dry much quicker when hung from the clothesline that is usually in the shower, especially if I roll them up in a towel for a while first.

We always check our luggage when getting on the ship except for small carry on's with valuables in them. We tip the porters a couple of dollars per bag, but the people who bring them to your room are not tipped, unless they share the daily gratuity.  You usually don't even see them.

We've always left our luggage outside the door on the last night too, but since my husband's bag never showed up on our last cruise this December, might be rethinking that!

32 minutes ago, island lady said:

Or you could just toss a couple of cheap light plastic hangers in your suitcase to bring with you. 😉 

I use the same method, but drip dry suit in the shower before transferring to magnet on ceiling with my plastic hanger.  I have also washed out light items ( that I don't want ship's laundry to ruin) to drip dry and then hang as well....during longer cruises.  

I've never actually not had a few hook-type hangers in the closet, even on ships with the anti-theft system -- just added that the steward is happy to provide some if needed.  (I'm generally right at my limit for my luggage, so try not to bring anything I don't have to.)

I also drip-dry in the shower, maybe you missed that part?  Drain in sink, drip in shower, roll in towel, and hang to dry. 

I could skip the roll-in-towel part if I wanted to drip dry longer in the shower and then transfer clothing to hangers/magnets later in the night, but I prefer to get it all done before dinner in one fell swoop, then forget about it until the next day.

57 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I also drip-dry in the shower, maybe you missed that part? 

Yes, I caught it...I just skip the towel rolling part.  

Each person has a unique way to wash things out.  It's always helpful to read about new ideas.  My cheap plastic hangers weigh almost nothing and are easy to pack...it just works for me for hanging damp things, and works as extras when needed when I don't want to wait for our cabin attendant to show up later.  

But hey...what do I know...just a newbie here.  😉 

52 minutes ago, island lady said:

Each person has a unique way to wash things out.  It's always helpful to read about new ideas. 

As with all things, everyone has their own particular way of doing pretty much anything.  What works for one doesn't work for another.  Some prefer to do a two-step process, some prefer to do it all at once (albeit with extra work) and be done.  Neither is "correct" -- just whatever works for the individual.

9 minutes ago, brillohead said:

As with all things, everyone has their own particular way of doing pretty much anything.  What works for one doesn't work for another.  Some prefer to do a two-step process, some prefer to do it all at once (albeit with extra work) and be done.  Neither is "correct" -- just whatever works for the individual.

My point exactly as well.  What a boring world this would be if we were all the same!  😮  

Enjoy your cruise!  🙂 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 7:26 AM, Rewind said:

The only reason not to check your luggage (besides those who don't trust their luggage will show up) is if you need anything to use on the first day.  Luggage "should" arrive to your cabin by dinner time, but that is not always the case.

I have to disagree- no way would we risk meds, cpap, electronics and chargers Getting lost.  THIS is why we do a carry on.

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I have to disagree- no way would we risk meds, cpap, electronics and chargers Getting lost.  THIS is why we do a carry on.

Agreed. I will always use a backpack. What does it hurt to carry it for a couple of hours on embarkation day? It’s not worth the risk of lost or damaged items. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I have to disagree- no way would we risk meds, cpap, electronics and chargers
Getting lost.  THIS is why we do a carry on.

I don't think that's what the person you quoted is saying at all.... EVERYONE (including Royal) says to carry on / keep with you all valuables, medications, travel documents (passports), etc.

The person you quoted is referring to checking your luggage that has your general toiletries, clothing, shoes, etc. -- they never said to check your carry-on bag!

4 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I don't think that's what the person you quoted is saying at all.... EVERYONE (including Royal) says to carry on / keep with you all valuables, medications, travel documents (passports), etc.

The person you quoted is referring to checking your luggage that has your general toiletries, clothing, shoes, etc. -- they never said to check your carry-on bag!

Hmmm, that is not what they said.

11 minutes ago, brillohead said:

They said they each carry on a backpack.... 

yep- a small backpack.  And they also said that one only needs to pack what one needs the first day.  I don’t use my meds, or my electronics, nor cords nor extra contact lenses my first day, but I’m sure as heck carrying them on!!  Our critical stuff will not fit in a “small backpack”.  

Edited by vacationlover_mn

On 12/30/2019 at 7:26 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Some of us actually want a CLEAN bathing suit, not an "almost clean" bathing suit.  So we wash them in the sink.  or shower.  😉 

I always put some woolite in a small bottle to wash swimsuits in bath sink then dry on balcony or clothesline in bathroom.

No need to pack her own beach towels if that was a concern.  Ship will supply you with towels for use on pool and shore excursions.

Some people like to bring bottled water or their own soda instead of buying onboard. In case you want to do this you can simply check in your luggage at port then carry on water or soda bottles.  You can also carry on 2 bottles of wine per cabin.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:33 AM, island lady said:

And "oops...there goes my bathing suit over the railing to swim with the fishes!".  😮  And agree...as far as I know, RCI does not want you to leave things on the balcony while at sea.  

To the OP:  Yes, as mentioned hangers are in the closet...just never enough for me.  Solution:  I toss extra hangers in my suitcase (light plastic ones).  

I only dry stuff on balcony on port days. Never on sea days.   I always bring extra hangers too. In past I asked for extra hangers from room steward and he brought 2 or 3 and said that was he could find.

I should rephrase -  I do use my electronics, medications, etc on the first day so those would be in my carry on that I take with me personally.

So - check anything that that is not important that you can do without for a few hours that won't ruin your entire trip in the 1% chance that it is lost.

😁

Edited by Rewind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rewind said:

I should rephrase -  I do use my electronics, medications, etc on the first day so those would be in my carry on that I take with me personally.

So - check anything that that is not important that you can do without for a few hours that won't ruin your entire trip in the 1% chance that it is lost.

😁

THAT I completely agree with 🙂

I did forget to mention I also bring my jewelry in my carry on.  It’s not expensive, but I don’t want any risk of losing it 🙂