4191, 4185 and 4187 on Koningsdam to Alaska

Kfrech

The above 3 cabins are still available for our Alaskan trip in mid June. Currently we are booked in an aft facing cabin (5122). I'm seriously considering switching to one of the above mentioned, but have a few questions:

Do the above cabins all have overhangs due to the balconies on the 5th deck? I like the idea of being able to sit on the deck, regardless of weather. Are all of these balconies extended?

Regarding 5122, can folks look down on us from the room on the 6th deck directly over us?

I've read so many opinions on various cabin locations; the cabins still available on deck 4 are still aft, but not stern as is 5122. The motion/vibration, etc. is a concern with the aft facing cabin. Will we notice much difference by taking one of the available 4th deck cabins?

Thank you for all of your help; these boards have been a wealth of information for us newbies!

Sorry to be blunt, but I think you are over analyzing this. First, the difference in motion felt (if you feel any...a big if) between the stern, and the near stern cabins, will not be a big difference...maybe 10% less stern vs aft...maybe 10%.

Second, the "vibration" is really a small, if at all, problem. 

Deck 6 down to Deck 5 will be 2 or 3 feet of deck 5 visible.

If you have not cruised before, do you have real evidence you will have issues with motion? If so, you should be looking midship, not aft.

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Sorry to be blunt, but I think you are over analyzing this. First, the difference in motion felt (if you feel any...a big if) between the stern, and the near stern cabins, will not be a big difference...maybe 10% less stern vs aft...maybe 10%.

Second, the "vibration" is really a small, if at all, problem. 

Deck 6 down to Deck 5 will be 2 or 3 feet of deck 5 visible.

If you have not cruised before, do you have real evidence you will have issues with motion? If so, you should be looking midship, not aft.

No apologies necessary! Having cruised only twice before, I had minimal queasiness—nothing major. I tend to over analyze—especially when planning vacations. It’s part of the fun for me (for others, including my husband, not so much). 

Thank you for all of your help. I’m leaning towards keeping the aft balcony room and being proactive if myself or my husband are bothered by the motion. 

@Kfrech,

While you may be over estimating the impact or effects of motion, vibration, over hang on this particular cruise and ship, 

You are not "over-analyzing".  

You asked about 3 aspects that many people on various cruises mention as a factor in cruise comfort and enjoyment in their trip reports.   No need to beat yourself up or apologize over analyzing.

All of the research and prep I did for my Alaska cruise was tremendously helpful towards creating an awesome vacation, and yet I still had plenty of challenges to overcome ;-), mostly on the DIY pre-cruise part though.  

Edited by SempreMare

@Kfrech

The three cabins you cited are well-aft of the lifeboats and tenders. They have balconies that are about twice as deep as the aft-facing cabins and about half-covered by the shallow balconies above them. While you are unlikely to experience significant motion in either cabin, there COULD be vibrations in the very-aft stern area that would be mitigated even as much forward as 4191; I have heard it reported so for some ships, but I don't know that K'dam is one (or not).

Now some people just LOVE aft/wake views. I would vote for the larger balcony myself.

In January 2019, there were 5 of us in 3 rooms 4187, 4191 and 4193, side by side by side on a 9 day Caribbean cruise.

Yes, there is an overhang. We were able to sit under the overhang and stayed dry when it rained.

Yes, all of those balconies are extended.

We didn't notice ANY vibrations from our room, 4191.

We LOVED the extended cabins!

If you'd like to have a look, I took a video of our room:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks kindly for sharing this 🙂 

lol...glad you enjoyed!  I took the video because, more than anything, i wanted info on the extended verandahs.  Couldn't really find any info on our rooms before we left, so thought I'd give the opportunity to others.  It's not the first time this Christmas season that I've posted it...lots of questions about aft verandahs on the Koningsdam during the holidays!

L.

We had 4187 on our last cruise on the Koningsdam and were very happy with it.  The balcony is extra large.  The half closest to the door is covered and the half closest to the railing is uncovered.  We liked that as on sunny days we could sit in the sun by the railing.  If it was rainy we pulled our chairs closer towards the cabin door. We liked that we were close to an elevator.  There were no life boats below us so our view was not blocked.

Edited by Daisyloo

2 hours ago, Kfrech said:

OP kfrech here: I’m on it! Calling TA within the hour!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your video!

Glad you liked it! As I said, I couldn't find any videos or decent photos of the extended verandas....I thought I would do it for those who would like to see as well! I'll be on Oosterdam in 7004 in February, and will more than likely do a video of that room as well.

L.