Carnival voted best cruise line 2019

RRLLAL

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

Everyone comments on how MSC is lowering prices because they are “having problems filling up their ships”. But this is not quite true.

MSC Cruise Lines is a very small division of a much larger, worldwide cargo shipping company. Cargo is what provides most of the financial revenue for this company. They can charge less and still generate profits in ways that other cruise lines simply can’t. And they are taking full advantage of their unique position to deliver a product that other cruise lines simply can’t at the same prices. That’s why you see MSC building enormous ships at a record-setting pace, building new terminals and developing a private island while still charging low prices, not only in the Caribbean, but in other markets worldwide. 

From the cruise line’s inception, MSC stated that their primary goal as a family owned company was to make cruising affordable to all, and that they’d be able to provide a much better product at lower prices. From what I’ve experienced when we’ve sailed on MSC, both in the Caribbean and in the Mediterranean, they are delivering on their promise. 

Certainly is an interesting company, that is for sure.  They (or he, depending on your thought process) have certainly injected a ton into building new ships in a short period of time.  We experienced the Orchestra when she first came over and it was certainly bleeding edge into trying to break into the US/Caribbean marketplace.  At the time, I def thought we would not set foot on another MSC ship.  I cannot say that now however.

5 hours ago, Tapi said:

Everyone comments on how MSC is lowering prices because they are “having problems filling up their ships”. But this is not quite true.

MSC Cruise Lines is a very small division of a much larger, worldwide cargo shipping company. Cargo is what provides most of the financial revenue for this company. They can charge less and still generate profits in ways that other cruise lines simply can’t. And they are taking full advantage of their unique position to deliver a product that other cruise lines simply can’t at the same prices. That’s why you see MSC building enormous ships at a record-setting pace, building new terminals and developing a private island while still charging low prices, not only in the Caribbean, but in other markets worldwide. 

From the cruise line’s inception, MSC stated that their primary goal as a family owned company was to make cruising affordable to all, and that they’d be able to provide a much better product at lower prices. From what I’ve experienced when we’ve sailed on MSC, both in the Caribbean and in the Mediterranean, they are delivering on their promise. 

I've never bought that line that a company will borrow from one division to provide price relief in another. Absolutely in a short-term as they try to build a stronghold, but that doesn't last forever. They are still small potatoes in the US and can't afford to raise prices yet. Providing the status match is an attempt to capture veteran cruisers as well. The mega ships certainly provide economies of scale.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I've never bought that line that a company will borrow from one division to provide price relief in another. Absolutely in a short-term as they try to build a stronghold, but that doesn't last forever. They are still small potatoes in the US and can't afford to raise prices yet. Providing the status match is an attempt to capture veteran cruisers as well. The mega ships certainly provide economies of scale.

I agree with you.  All cruise companies have the goal of improving yields, including MSC.  They are a bargain right now in the US because they have to be, in order to fill ships.  Simple as that.  That will eventually change as brand awareness is created, and they hopefully fine tune the product.  They are never going to be super expensive as they are a mass-market brand just like Carnival, so the market for them will only sustain yields at a certain level even when they become more popular.  For now at least, I would highly recommend sailing on them while they are such a bargain.  Don't go expecting Carnival, Royal, NCL, etc.  They beat to their own drum.  Embrace the differences and I think you can have a great time on truly beautiful ships at less than the usual going rate.  

Edited by eroller

22 hours ago, eroller said:

That included dinner at a speciality restaurant for two, a bottle of champagne, a chocolate ship, a MSC baseball cap, chocolate covered strawberries, and some extra amenities like robes/slippers in the cabin and priority boarding/disembarkation.

This is all included with Yacht Club status. As he told me everything I might get as Platinum is included in the YC. WOW you got a balcony cabin with YC for $500, really? Interiors without YC are more than $500. 

17 minutes ago, coevan said:

This is all included with Yacht Club status. As he told me everything I might get as Platinum is included in the YC. WOW you got a balcony cabin with YC for $500, really? Interiors without YC are more than $500. 

$407 to be exact ... and that was for a single!  This was a published rate available to anyone. Most cruise lines charge 200% for singles.  Not MSC.  I sailed with two friends.  The price was so cheap that instead of sharing a cabin, we each got our own.  It was awesome!  

Last year I sailed in the YC.  Of course it was much more expensive but still a great value.  But for $407 all-in for my own balcony cabin, I have no problem spending a dime on drinks and forgoing the YC.  Speaking of drinks, my drink of choice is a Barcardi & Diet Coke.  The total price on MSC including gratuity is $6.90.  It's almost double that on other mainstream lines, especially NCL which gouges you on drinks really bad.  Also MSC only adds a 15% gratuity not 18% or more like other lines.  Another nice thing ... I didn't have to wait 3 deep at the bar to get a drink, and there were plenty of cocktail servers.  

If you're budget conscious, I honestly think the best value at sea right now is MSC.   

Edited by eroller

20 minutes ago, coevan said:

I thought he said he got a standard balcony for less than $500.

i dont think he got the yacht club for that price.

9 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I thought he said he got a standard balcony for less than $500.

i dont think he got the yacht club for that price.

I looked at MSC, but I didn’t like the different levels. Kind of felt like I could only afford “steerage”, LOL! Just not my cup of tea. 

20 hours ago, eroller said:

They are a bargain right now in the US because they have to be, in order to fill ships.  Simple as that.  That will eventually change as brand awareness is created...

When I first sailed on MSC out of Miami, I believed that their low prices was because of what you say, that they needed to create brand awareness in the USA. 

But then we decided to sail on MSC in the Mediterranean, which is their turf and where they already enjoy brand awareness. Their prices were rock bottom there as well, even though we were sailing on their newest and largest ship. It was so cheap, that we decided to splurge on a suite. Even then, it was still cheaper for us to sail the Med in a suite than what we paid to sail in the Caribbean on an American cruise line in a standard balcony stateroom the previous year. Similar accommodations in the Mediterranean on Royal Caribbean would’ve cost over $16K! 

Now I’ve also wondered if MSC is biting more than they can chew, and that their fast paced growth while charging low prices could be setting them up for financial ruin like I’ve seen happen in the travel industry with now defunct companies, but so far, nothing indicates that that’s the case.  Time will tell. 

AC49A75D-539C-49B8-A01C-054A42617483.jpeg

08621CCB-3036-44ED-BD02-B2BB6C88C738.jpeg

3FA3370A-0571-40D0-B24E-F62921E99806.jpeg

Edited by Tapi