Tuxedo Rental

Big_G

Hi there, no advice on "Chic night", LOL.

I've bought several Tuxes for my DH on ebay for very reasonable prices, under $100.00, which he customizes with different ties/shirts to use a numerous cruises/occasions and no need to rent. just a thought. 

• Like 1

Packing a suit would be the easiest option.  Men's Wearhouse still has a rental business (either pickup in a local store or have them ship it to a destination).  There are other online vendors you can find via Google who offer similar services, though you have to know your measurements for that.  You can often buy one for the cost of renting one, depending on what style you like.

• Like 2

Just bought a new very nice tux from Joseph A Banks this last week for our cruise on the Equinox next month. It was $179.  To us, “Chic” is still dressing up. We only get a couple of chances a year to dress formally, and take advantage of it.  It’s amazing how many other passengers comment on how well you look while wearing a tux.  Granted, it’s not the most comfortable attire, but it sure is fun to dress formally for a few hours for dinner. The rest of the dinners are in slacks and comfortable button-up shirts. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, ZellBrad said:

Just bought a new very nice tux from Joseph A Banks this last week for our cruise on the Equinox next month. It was $179.  To us, “Chic” is still dressing up. We only get a couple of chances a year to dress formally, and take advantage of it.  It’s amazing how many other passengers comment on how well you look while wearing a tux.  Granted, it’s not the most comfortable attire, but it sure is fun to dress formally for a few hours for dinner. The rest of the dinners are in slacks and comfortable button-up shirts. 

Thanks. I normally rent them from Cruiseline Formalwear and they were delivered to the cabin but apparently they went out of business. It was great not having to pack a complete setup with vest, two shirts,  and shoes. Looks like Chic Night bit into their business model.

Unfortunately, not enough people rented tuxes. And now as pretty much all cruise lines have less formal formal nights, it just wasn't sustainable.

One time I rented a tux for a cruise (versus just wearing a suit), I went to Mens Wearhouse. Went to a local shop to make the arrangements, picked up in the port city, and returned when we got back.

• Like 1

My husband, son and brother in law rented tuxes on our first Celebrity cruise in the Med about 6 years ago.  It was so convenient...they were measured locally, completed a web form, and our room steward delivered them to our cabin on embarkation day.  They have missed that service also, and now bring jackets/suit.  

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 8:42 PM, ZellBrad said:

Our thoughts exactly. We love to dress up when we get the chance and will continue our routine and switch cruise lines if need be. To “each it’s own” to those that prefer not to.

I’ve read several articles about the change and they all maintain that guests can donn tuxedos and gowns if they prefer. 

I just hope that “Chic” does not lead to further erosion of the dress code for evening dining venues.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BelloMundo said:

Our thoughts exactly. We love to dress up when we get the chance and will continue our routine and switch cruise lines if need be. To “each it’s own” to those that prefer not to.

I’ve read several articles about the change and they all maintain that guests can donn tuxedos and gowns if they prefer. 

I just hope that “Chic” does not lead to further erosion of the dress code for evening dining venues.

No need to change cruise lines, people still can, and do, dress formally for the chic evenings.

As long as you are comfortable being in the minority it is all good.

The evenings still have a certain sparkle, just not many actually going to the extreme of a tux, but still enough to notice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

No need to change cruise lines, people still can, and do, dress formally for the chic evenings.

As long as you are comfortable being in the minority it is all good.

The evenings still have a certain sparkle, just not many actually going to the extreme of a tux, but still enough to notice.

That was my understanding Mark_T. Times are changing and on a slippery slope downward, unfortunately. I'm not a shrinking violet, in any way shape or form. "Standing out" is not a problem for us. I rather think that many want to down grade the standards so they don't have to feel bad about "dressing down", some have very practical reasons, like an extended trip with minimal baggage allowances and physical limitations. For us, as long as I have my airline perks and ample luggage allowance, we will dress UP. Too few opportunities to do so now a days and these keep eroding away, that's my concern.

Edited by BelloMundo

On 1/3/2020 at 5:32 PM, ozark74 said:

I wouldn't think there is any need for tux rental since it is now Chic night instead of formal night. 

It's not a "need", more of a "want", a personal choice and allowed. Your/our choice and we will dress formally. Just our thing.

Good to know they went out of business. We have a cruise planned on Royal in March and our daughter's boyfriend was planning to rent a tux. We'll have to make other arrangements now. Our family also loves a chance to dress formally.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kands6191 said:

Good to know they went out of business. We have a cruise planned on Royal in March and our daughter's boyfriend was planning to rent a tux. We'll have to make other arrangements now. Our family also loves a chance to dress formally.

RC still offers tux rentals. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/tuxedorental

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

RC still offers tux rentals. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/tuxedorental

Sorry had to laugh at this only because we cruised on Harmony of the Seas 12/1 - 12/7/19. On the "dress up night" I wore slacks, long sleeve white shirt and handsome neck tie. Yes I do remember the days when I wore a tux. Regardless, on this RCCL vessel there were a few men in tuxedos, some in suits, some with shirt and tie but the majority were in just slacks and polo shirt and we watched more than a few in shorts, tee-shirts and reversed ball caps, and two in swim suits and muscle shirts all walk right into the MRD. Hopefully, Celebrity wouldn't let at least the last two enter the MDR that way but, who knows. Do enjoy your cruise!

We took our adult kids on the Allure a year ago and we were some of the few wearing tuxes, that's for sure. Royal definitely has a different crowd than Celebrity.  I've never seen shorts in the MDR on Celebrity and I have actually seen men turned away in shorts and also asked to remove ball caps. We'll be with friends on our Infinity and Edge cruises this month and all the guys will be bringing their tuxes. Can't wait!

• Like 5

20 hours ago, BelloMundo said:

That was my understanding Mark_T. Times are changing and on a slippery slope downward, unfortunately. I'm not a shrinking violet, in any way shape or form. "Standing out" is not a problem for us. I rather think that many want to down grade the standards so they don't have to feel bad about "dressing down", some have very practical reasons, like an extended trip with minimal baggage allowances and physical limitations. For us, as long as I have my airline perks and ample luggage allowance, we will dress UP. Too few opportunities to do so now a days and these keep eroding away, that's my concern.

I mean, part of the reason generic suit and tuxes are not fashionable anymore is that they aren't a great discriminator of class...  The fact that you can get $100-200 tuxes kind of defeats their original purpose of being annoying and expensive so that it was a distinction...

Most people's distressed jeans costs more than that these days.  in-fashion sneakers are more expensive than most people's "dress" shoes.

The point of fashion is conspicuous consumption and be part of the "in" crowd.  Tuxes do none of that anymore.  Suites/jackets kind of do but it's more the fashion of them than the presence or not.

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

I mean, part of the reason generic suit and tuxes are not fashionable anymore is that they aren't a great discriminator of class...  The fact that you can get $100-200 tuxes kind of defeats their original purpose of being annoying and expensive so that it was a distinction...

Most people's distressed jeans costs more than that these days.  in-fashion sneakers are more expensive than most people's "dress" shoes.

The point of fashion is conspicuous consumption and be part of the "in" crowd.  Tuxes do none of that anymore.  Suites/jackets kind of do but it's more the fashion of them than the presence or not.

And your judgmental point is?

We don't need to be part of the "in" crowd. If people want to spend a fortune on ripped jeans, that's their decision and choice. We don't try to be 1 in a million of "followers", ignoring "trends" and "Crowds" has always worked for us as individuals, we rather choose to dress up. Just as it is our decision and choice to dress as we like.

Oh, and on the point of "Class"?

That's not the point, money, clothes and labels can't buy anyone "class", although there are some that believe otherwise. A truly classy individual will make a thrift store find look like a million bucks and look amazing doing it. By the way, I don't "do" sneakers, ever, cost is not an issue, they are just not fashion.

We just enjoy dressing up once in a while and not break the bank while doing it, dress up, we WILL.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by BelloMundo
  • Like 2

I am one of those strange guys that usually brings a Tux along on cruises (including Celebrity).  Both DW and I enjoy dressing-up..even if we are two of the few.  But as much as I enjoy putting on my Tux there is no way I would suggest that a guy spend the money on a rental for a cruise on Celebrity or most other lines.  The reality is that we Tux wearers are now in the minority.  In fact, anyone wearing a tie is in a minority...often in a very major way.  We have been on some X cruises where I would estimate that fewer then 50% dressed up in outfits that even come close to reasonable Chic standards.  It is just the way it is.   For me, wearing a tux costs nothing since I own one and have all the accessories.  But given the current mores I would certainly not buy another tux and now way would I rent for a cruise...except on some Cunard cruises.

One suspects that the company that used to handle the onboard rentals went bankrupt for lack of business :(.  And its hard to imagine there being enough demand for Celebrity (or most other lines) to seek a replacement company.  I, for one, miss those special formal nights when nearly the entire ship was dressed "to the nines" and everyone looked truly fine :).  It made those evenings special and the people watching was superb.   Now, we look at how many folks dress (even on smart casual evenings) and think, "my goodness, they must have been raised by wolves."  To my eye there is nothing sillier looking then a grown man wearing a backwards baseball cap indoors (except in sports bars).  I think they look absolutely ridiculous but each to their own.

Hank

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am one of those strange guys that usually brings a Tux along on cruises (including Celebrity).  Both DW and I enjoy dressing-up..even if we are two of the few.  But as much as I enjoy putting on my Tux there is no way I would suggest that a guy spend the money on a rental for a cruise on Celebrity or most other lines.  The reality is that we Tux wearers are now in the minority.  In fact, anyone wearing a tie is in a minority...often in a very major way.  We have been on some X cruises where I would estimate that fewer then 50% dressed up in outfits that even come close to reasonable Chic standards.  It is just the way it is.   For me, wearing a tux costs nothing since I own one and have all the accessories.  But given the current mores I would certainly not buy another tux and now way would I rent for a cruise...except on some Cunard cruises.

One suspects that the company that used to handle the onboard rentals went bankrupt for lack of business :(.  And its hard to imagine there being enough demand for Celebrity (or most other lines) to seek a replacement company.  I, for one, miss those special formal nights when nearly the entire ship was dressed "to the nines" and everyone looked truly fine :).  It made those evenings special and the people watching was superb.   Now, we look at how many folks dress (even on smart casual evenings) and think, "my goodness, they must have been raised by wolves."  To my eye there is nothing sillier looking then a grown man wearing a backwards baseball cap indoors (except in sports bars).  I think they look absolutely ridiculous but each to their own.

Hank

Well put, Just as in today's society, everything is on the downward spiral. Watching as some chose to dress down to "Chic" will be "scary". Every time the standards are lowered, these are further lowered by those that choose to push the limits and ignore the guidelines. I will actively seek cruise lines that uphold the standards and ignore those that keep downgrading the acceptable practices. The classic days of cruising are quickly coming to an end. 

38 minutes ago, BelloMundo said:

Well put, Just as in today's society, everything is on the downward spiral. Watching as some chose to dress down to "Chic" will be "scary". Every time the standards are lowered, these are further lowered by those that choose to push the limits and ignore the guidelines. I will actively seek cruise lines that uphold the standards and ignore those that keep downgrading the acceptable practices. The classic days of cruising are quickly coming to an end. 

I do not want the thread to deteriorate into another of those dress code debates but wanted to respond to your post.  We agree with everything you say.  However, I think that those seeking out cruise lines that uphold any standard will be frustrating quest. Cunard does try to maintain a dress code (especially on their crossings) but not sure it is being evenly enforced.  Otherwise, we cannot think of a single cruise line that would meet any standard.  Even the luxury lines we have cruised, no longer enforces any kind of standard.  Perhaps the "worm will turn" and formal dress will return to the cruise world, but for now, it is a lost cause.   Princess is about the only mass market line to still have "formal nights" but even they do not make any effort to enforce their own dress "suggestions."  

I think what you refer to as the "classic days of cruising" ended several years ago.  Those of us who wish for its return are probably labeled dinosaurs by most other cruisers.  DW and I have two upcoming cruises which involve some very ambitious land plans (before and after the cruises) where we will be moving around on land.   One is on Princess and the other HAL.  I think we will not take any formal clothes (or even anything close) since we need to deal with hauling our own luggage on trains and planes in both Europe and Asia.   It will be the first time, on either of those lines, we do not pack formal wear.  But you also will not find us in the MDR with a baseball cap or wife beater shirt :).

Hank

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I do not want the thread to deteriorate into another of those dress code debates but wanted to respond to your post.  We agree with everything you say.  However, I think that those seeking out cruise lines that uphold any standard will be frustrating quest. Cunard does try to maintain a dress code (especially on their crossings) but not sure it is being evenly enforced.  Otherwise, we cannot think of a single cruise line that would meet any standard.  Even the luxury lines we have cruised, no longer enforces any kind of standard.  Perhaps the "worm will turn" and formal dress will return to the cruise world, but for now, it is a lost cause.   Princess is about the only mass market line to still have "formal nights" but even they do not make any effort to enforce their own dress "suggestions."  

I think what you refer to as the "classic days of cruising" ended several years ago.  Those of us who wish for its return are probably labeled dinosaurs by most other cruisers.  DW and I have two upcoming cruises which involve some very ambitious land plans (before and after the cruises) where we will be moving around on land.   One is on Princess and the other HAL.  I think we will not take any formal clothes (or even anything close) since we need to deal with hauling our own luggage on trains and planes in both Europe and Asia.   It will be the first time, on either of those lines, we do not pack formal wear.  But you also will not find us in the MDR with a baseball cap or wife beater shirt :).

Hank

Hank, well put. I'll be a "dinosaur" till I die, LOL. As I had previously commented, we have great airline perks and willing to pay to have our luggage handled. I respect other's reasons for not dressing up, just don't knock our CHOICE to dress up or lecture us on what constitutes class, not you, of course. Additionally, I expect evening MDR guests to observe the minimum guidelines. Showing up in shorts, tank tops, bathing suits, flip flops and baseball caps is extremely disrespectful. cruise lines should enforce their own rules and turn away those that do not comply. Fortunately, there are a number of Cruise Lines that still maintain elegant dining standards, even if these do not include tuxedos. I will be one of the last hold outs for dress up nights.

We started cruising back in the classical days of cruising (2002) 🙂 when there were two formal and two semi-formal evenings per cruise.  We loved “dressing” for dinner, since we never do that at home.  The advantage of wearing tuxes usually got us free drinks at the bar...or that may have been the drink package...no, I’m sure it was the tuxes. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1