No more Michael Jackson show????

cruisinCLT

44 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

Was it your first time? Its nothing to compare to regular MSC shows.

No.

We have cruised on MSC four times, most recently on the Seaside in October and the Mera on Dec. 8. Have cruised all the lines and have 85 cruises overall.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:02 PM, Sea Viewer said:

Hi, was on a 4 day on Divina in December  and there was a Queen  show called the show must  go on. I really  enjoyed  it, but then I'm  a long time  Queen  fan. The lead singer had Freddie  Mercury's mannerisms  exactly  right.

Divina also had Tina Turner show if I remember correctly. It too was very good.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:37 PM, grandgeezer said:

I beg to differ, we've been on all the major cruise lines and  the Seaside shows were second only to the ones on RCL's Oasis class ships.

The shows on Norwegian, Princess, HAL, and Celebrity weren't even close.

I have to agree.   We've left some shows on the above mentioned lines and didn't' go to some of them, either.  We thought EVERY show we saw on the Divina far better!  The only show on another line I really enjoyed was the ice skating on RCI.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 11:54 PM, SirWolf said:

Cirque Du Soleil at Sea is exclusively on MSC ships. 

I do not believe this statement is accurate. NCL was the first to offer Cirque shows. They even built the big tents on the breakaway class to accomodate. They call it 'cirque dreams' so they are no longer paying royalities for the name, but for all intents and purposes, it's the same show. Celebrity offers it on several ships also. 

I beg to differ, we've been on all the major cruise lines and  the Seaside shows were second only to the ones on RCL's Oasis class ships.

It's nearly impossible the generalize cruise lines anymore. One must be specific to class of ship. For example, NCL Breakaway (and B+) class spends more on entertainment than Oasis class and their broadway productions are fantastic. Rock of Ages, legally blonde, etc.. will hold up against Mama Mia, Cats, etc.. 

MSC shows don't even use live entertainment (it's canned). Their shows are also quite short at 30 minutes or so. Both are cost saving measure. Now, I would agree that shows on medium and small classes of main stream lines (jade, spirit, etc) are lacking, depth. MSC has talented entertainers, but each show has an oddly resemblance to the shows the night before. Other thank MJ, it's all pretty much the same show, different night. 

As a side note, for the most part, HAL doesn't even offer nightly shows anymore. Instead they are putting their money into live music venues like BBKing and Rolling Stones rooms. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do not believe this statement is accurate. NCL was the first to offer Cirque shows. They even built the big tents on the breakaway class to accomodate. They call it 'cirque dreams' so they are no longer paying royalities for the name, but for all intents and purposes, it's the same show. Celebrity offers it on several ships also. 

Statement is based on publications from

1.) MSC Cruises

Link: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Partnerships/MSC-Cruises-Cirque-Du-Soleil-Partnership.aspx

2.) Cirque Du Soleil

Link: https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/other-activities/cirque-du-soleil-at-sea

The production shows Cirque Du Soleil at Sea

are exclusively on MSC Cruises ships.

Similar confusions of Cirque Du Soleil shows

are in Las Vegas, NV.

Le Rêve is often mistakenly thought to be a

Cirque Du Soleil show since they perform

similar acrobatic acts.

The shows KÀ, Michael Jackson ONE, Mystère,

O , Zumanity and The Beatles LOVE are

Cirque Du Soleil production shows.

5 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

Statement is based on publications from

1.) MSC Cruises

Link: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Partnerships/MSC-Cruises-Cirque-Du-Soleil-Partnership.aspx

2.) Cirque Du Soleil

Link: https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/other-activities/cirque-du-soleil-at-sea

The production shows Cirque Du Soleil at Sea

are exclusively on MSC Cruises ships.

Similar confusions of Cirque Du Soleil shows

are in Las Vegas, NV.

Le Rêve is often mistakenly thought to be a

Cirque Du Soleil show since they perform

similar acrobatic acts.

The shows KÀ, Michael Jackson ONE, Mystère,

O , Zumanity and The Beatles LOVE are

Cirque Du Soleil production shows.

I 'think' we are saying the same thing. Other cruise lines offer the Cirque experience without paying royalties to the formal name. As mentioned, NCL calls their shows "Cirque Dreams," and while those shows don't carry the same name as Cirque Du Soleil, for all intents and purposes, they are the same show. 

BTW, I just clicked the link. It looks like MSC isn't using the exact same name either as they are calling the shows "Cirque Du Soleil At Sea" which technically makes it a Different brand. If cruisers want to see a Cirque type show, plenty of lines offer the experience. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

BTW, I just clicked the link. It looks like MSC isn't using the exact same name either as they are calling the shows "Cirque Du Soleil At Sea" which technically makes it a Different brand. If cruisers want to see a Cirque type show, plenty of lines offer the experience. 

For my understanding Cirque Du Soleil at Sea is 

a direct cooperation between Cirque Du Soleil

(Canada) and MSC Cruises.

The production shows are staffed and licensed

by Cirque Du Soleil (Canada).

These shows are not just “Cirque” shows but

authentic Cirque Du Soleil production shows.

That makes a huge difference in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

For my understanding Cirque Du Soleil at Sea is 

a direct cooperation between Cirque Du Soleil

(Canada) and MSC Cruises.

The production shows are staffed and licensed

by Cirque Du Soleil (Canada).

These shows are not just “Cirque” shows but

authentic Cirque Du Soleil production shows.

That makes a huge difference in my opinion.

I can respect that the brand name makes a "huge difference to you." 

I've been to three land based Cirque du Soleil shows and was totally underwhelmed by the two on Meraviglia.  In my opinion MSC has basically moved the acrobatic aspects usually found in the main theater shows to a different venue and added a charge.  The knock off Cirque Dreams shows on NCL were more entertaining.

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SchoolNurseMom said:

Polly~ I see that you are in Canton? I live in Ball Ground and work at Avery Elementary! Small world!

We'll be on Seaside in February.

Hi! My daughter goes to Free Home ES, and my son to Creekview 🙂 

Seaside shows better than NCL? You’ve got to be kidding!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Seaside shows better than NCL? You’ve got to be kidding!

I scratched my head on that one too.

While I'm not happy with NCL, the shows are pretty good.  IMO the shows, as people said years ago before we did our first MSC, on MSC are a tough situation because they have to span several languages so while quite visual they just don't have the oomph.

7 hours ago, dexddd said:

I scratched my head on that one too.

While I'm not happy with NCL, the shows are pretty good.  IMO the shows, as people said years ago before we did our first MSC, on MSC are a tough situation because they have to span several languages so while quite visual they just don't have the oomph.

or the budget...... NCL/RCL pay huge money for licensing on their big productions. MSC has to save money somewhere to keep offering us such excellent pricing. :).