Which restaurant would you pick for special occasion on Edge

Karti

We are cruising on Edge in June and celebrating 50th birthday. Which restaurant would you recommend on Edge? We have tried Le Petit Chef already and are not big fans of steaks. What's the best bet: Eden, Rooftop Garden, Magic Carpet?

Rooftop you have to worry about rain and such, we didn't get to dine here due to thunderstorms, so you don't want to chance that...same with Magic Carpet and you only know when you can dine on Magic Carpet when you get on the cruise.

Eden didn't appeal to me pus having the tasting menu (the menu is planned and very very limited)...Le Petit Chef  I would pass as you have to wait for everybody to finish to go onto the next course...I guess it would be the Fine Cut Steakhouse.

Edited by Cruisegirl6
  • Like 1

There is a Chef’s Table offered.  It comes with a hefty price tag, $139, but it might be perfect for a special event.  Fine Cut is noisy.  We haven’t tried it yet (will Tuesday night) but there have been raves about Eden.

Edited by Oville

5 minutes ago, Oville said:

There is a Chef’s Table offered.  It comes with a hefty price tag, $139, but it might be perfect for a special event.  Fine Cut is noisy.  We haven’t tried it yet (will Tuesday night) but there have been raves about Eden.

Will you let us know your opinion of Fine Cut, please?  

Have you tried Eden?

3 minutes ago, mafig said:

Have you tried Eden?

We are going to Eden on Tuesday night so I can’t comment yet.  The menu looks interesting but I’m a bit hung up on the sea urchin.  We’ve dined in Fine Cut twice, one good and one bad experience.  If you go to FC make sure you are away from the Grand Plaza as it can be quite noisy.

25 minutes ago, Oville said:

We are going to Eden on Tuesday night so I can’t comment yet.  The menu looks interesting but I’m a bit hung up on the sea urchin.  We’ve dined in Fine Cut twice, one good and one bad experience.  If you go to FC make sure you are away from the Grand Plaza as it can be quite noisy.

Sea urchin is one option on one course. Just pick the other option.

Just now, Oville said:

Can’t eat lobster.  I’ll probably ask for a veggie substitute or be brave and give it a go.

Would it count as shellfish? You might try stopping by at least a day before your cruise and let them know you can’t eat shellfish and see what they can do. I’m gluten-free and not a huge seafood fan and have been advised to do that - I have it scheduled for the final night and plan to go the first or second day and talk with them so I have plenty of time to cancel if they are not able to accommodate.

We dined a couple of times at the Fine Cut Steakhouse on our Edge December 15th sailing...my thoughts....if I weren't as experienced dining at 4/5 star restaurants I would rate it excellent overall.  BUT, I have dined at numerous fine steakhouses throughout the country and my opinion is that although the steaks were always cooked to perfection and were very tender it lacked the " goodbeef taste" that I generally like in a steak.  I found this more with the NY steak and another evening I did order the filet mignon.  My other half and father in aw had the lamb chops they were very good and cooked perfectly, although we agree, when you dine Celebrity you really don't need to go to specialty restaurants because the food in the MDR is very good....in fact, I found the Manhattan Steak that is offered in the Cosmopolitan menu (you can get this at any of the dining rooms just simply ask for it) was just as good or a bit better than my NY Strip I had at Fine Cut.  The appetizer pork belly did have alot of meat unlike most places would have just a tremendous amount of fat.....the crab cake was not full of filler.  We were pleased with the MDR that we cancelled our third night at Fine Cut Steakhouse.

2 hours ago, mafig said:

Have you tried Eden?

I have tried both.    Eden is good but I would think once and done.   Fine Cut has tasty meals but the ambiance can be rather noisy as their is no noise baffling and many of the tables overlook the Martini Bar.   They have a nice selection beyond just steak.     To be honest I wasn't really impressed with the Specialty Dining on Edge and would have preferred having Muano's

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have tried both.    Eden is good but I would think once and done.   Fine Cut has tasty meals but the ambiance can be rather noisy as their is no noise baffling and many of the tables overlook the Martini Bar.   They have a nice selection beyond just steak.     To be honest I wasn't really impressed with the Specialty Dining on Edge and would have preferred having Muano's

Jim, why once and done at Eden; food, atmosphere or a little of both?  Thanks

Edited by Oville

5 hours ago, Oville said:

Very interested in what you all have to say about Specialty Dining on Edge.  We are booked on it for a March 15 cruise.  We got such a fabulous deal that we bumped ourselves up to Aqua Class.  Our "special deal" also includes 600 OBC, most of which I thought we could use for Specialty Dining, even tho we've heard Blu is good.  Would love to do the Chef's Table (or is it Chef's Market Dinner on X?)  We just did a wonderful Chef's Table on our Christmas cruise on Princess (only really great good we had on that cruise), and that one was $190/couple.  Is the $139 pp or per couple?  Was told Fine Cut is a "must", but is there no place quiet?  DH has hearing issues, and noise on all sides makes conversation difficult.  And finally, can I book ahead at Specialty with OBC?  Afraid if I don't book ahead,  there will be no space left.  Luckily, on the Princess Holiday cruise, I had booked two nights at the steakhouse ahead, as it was all booked up once onboard.  Also, isn't there a specialty that's similar to Sushi on 5?  We've had some nice lunches there on the Silhouette.  Appreciate any advice.  

4 hours ago, Oville said:

Jim, why once and done at Eden; food, atmosphere or a little of both?  Thanks

The food was good but the menu is a pretty much set menu with just 2 choices for each course.   I very much enjoyed it but didn't find it exciting enough to do a second time even as a free dinner.     We were seated near the open kitchen and couldn't see any of the show and at times the loudness of the show overpowered the ambiance.  

Others can comment on the ability to see the show from other areas but it appeared there were only about 1/4 of the seating in a place that could see any of the show.  

To see the show you are much better off just sitting around the railing overlooking Eden and have a drink. 

18 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The food was good but the menu is a pretty much set menu with just 2 choices for each course.   I very much enjoyed it but didn't find it exciting enough to do a second time even as a free dinner.     We were seated near the open kitchen and couldn't see any of the show and at times the loudness of the show overpowered the ambiance.  

Others can comment on the ability to see the show from other areas but it appeared there were only about 1/4 of the seating in a place that could see any of the show.  

To see the show you are much better off just sitting around the railing overlooking Eden and have a drink. 

Jim, thanks so much.  We’ll try to get seats by the window in hopes we can watch the chefs do there thing and a bit of the show.  I may also ask in advance about substitutions.

1 hour ago, Madio said:

Very interested in what you all have to say about Specialty Dining on Edge.  We are booked on it for a March 15 cruise.  We got such a fabulous deal that we bumped ourselves up to Aqua Class.  Our "special deal" also includes 600 OBC, most of which I thought we could use for Specialty Dining, even tho we've heard Blu is good.  Would love to do the Chef's Table (or is it Chef's Market Dinner on X?)  We just did a wonderful Chef's Table on our Christmas cruise on Princess (only really great good we had on that cruise), and that one was $190/couple.  Is the $139 pp or per couple?  Was told Fine Cut is a "must", but is there no place quiet?  DH has hearing issues, and noise on all sides makes conversation difficult.  And finally, can I book ahead at Specialty with OBC?  Afraid if I don't book ahead,  there will be no space left.  Luckily, on the Princess Holiday cruise, I had booked two nights at the steakhouse ahead, as it was all booked up once onboard.  Also, isn't there a specialty that's similar to Sushi on 5?  We've had some nice lunches there on the Silhouette.  Appreciate any advice.  

You can make reservations in advance using the non refundable OBC. I did this for both Fine Cut and Eden.  We board tomorrow and I’ll try to post some menu pix for you.  Katie

19 minutes ago, Oville said:

Jim, thanks so much.  We’ll try to get seats by the window in hopes we can watch the chefs do there thing and a bit of the show.  I may also ask in advance about substitutions.

They have an open kitchen (no window) and you can watch them prepare each dish to order.   Not sure if you can get an idea from this picture but basically a big open counter for serving with the cooks busy on the other side.

The fresh herbs are grown in the blue hydroponic racks on the right

9F0E50C7-71BB-46AF-9FB0-B61F6F72882D.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

17 minutes ago, Oville said:

You can make reservations in advance using the non refundable OBC. I did this for both Fine Cut and Eden.  We board tomorrow and I’ll try to post some menu pix for you.  Katie

Thank you so much Katie!  That would be so helpful.  This Edge Class is a whole new ballgame for us, having only done two Celebrity cruises before on the Silhouette, which we loved.  Must keep open mind.

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They have an open kitchen (no window) and you can watch them prepare each dish to order.   Not sure if you can get an idea from this picture but basically a big open counter for serving with the cooks busy on the other side.

The fresh herbs are grown in the blue hydroponic racks on the right

9F0E50C7-71BB-46AF-9FB0-B61F6F72882D.jpeg

Thank you Jim, I’m going in with an open mind.  We will be there while we are still in port, San Juan.

One more question and I’m sorry if I’m pestering you, did you and Iain have lunch in the Le Grande Bistro?  Thanks, Katie 

Edited by Oville

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree 110%  

They are missing at least one specialty restaurant and the ones that are left are more crowded as a result.  My experience was loud and shouty in Fine Cuts, plus it was hard to book on sea days.  We did like Fine Cuts but not as much as Muranos due to the ambience/noise.

We actually liked the menu in Eden, but thought that the entertainment was rather strange.  Eden was much quieter than Fine Cuts and the view out the back was the equal  of Tuscan Grill.

Of course when I say this I get attacked by the Edgies.  LOL

Whenever we book Celebrity we do all specialty restaurants.

Edited by NMTraveller

30 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I agree 110%  

They are missing at least one specialty restaurant and the ones that are left are more crowded as a result.  My experience was loud and shouty in Fine Cuts, plus it was hard to book on sea days.  We did like Fine Cuts but not as much as Muranos due to the ambience/noise.

We actually liked the menu in Eden, but thought that the entertainment was rather strange.  Eden was much quieter than Fine Cuts and the view out the back was the equal  of Tuscan Grill.

Of course when I say this I get attacked by the Edgies.  LOL

I’m not sure you would find many disagreeing with you regarding the Speciality Restaurants.

Edited by Oville

We ate at Eden and thoroughly enjoyed our meal.  I was actually feeling a bit under  the weather that night but I still tasted everything and each course was outstanding.  Neither my husband or I consider ourselves adventurous eaters, but we loved every course.  Watching the preparations in the kitchen was like watching artists at work, I found it mesmerizing.  We also enjoyed the entertainment during the meal, interesting and different.  It was a lot of fun.

We also ate at Fine Cut Steakhouse and the food was very good.  I found the noise from the music  playing outside to be very loud.

I liked both but I thought that Eden was more special.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

We ate at Eden and thoroughly enjoyed our meal.  I was actually feeling a bit under  the weather that night but I still tasted everything and each course was outstanding.  Neither my husband or I consider ourselves adventurous eaters, but we loved every course.  Watching the preparations in the kitchen was like watching artists at work, I found it mesmerizing.  We also enjoyed the entertainment during the meal, interesting and different.  It was a lot of fun.

We also ate at Fine Cut Steakhouse and the food was very good.  I found the noise from the music  playing outside to be very loud.

I liked both but I thought that Eden was more special.  

Thanks, now I’m really looking forward to Eden.  Katie

EDEN is not an outdoor restaurant. The restaurant part in EDEN is far aft, diwn some stairs..great views.  All indoors 

There is an EDEN cafe and you can take food outside .  That is not a dinner venue.

We tried to get   " dinner on the EDGE" but there was a waiting list.. They never tell you where you are on the list...so it must go to VIPs, suite guests or  very lucky folks. On our ABC cruise it was offered twice...late  nights in port.

On APEX, we'll try Fine Cut..hopefully they made it quieter 

18 hours ago, Oville said:

Thank you Jim, I’m going in with an open mind.  We will be there while we are still in port, San Juan.

One more question and I’m sorry if I’m pestering you, did you and Iain have lunch in the Le Grande Bistro?  Thanks, Katie 

Hi Katie -

I am sure you will enjoy Eden.    Make sure you come hungry as the meal is rather large.   The service was excellent.  

We did not eat at Le Grand Bistro but often ate lunch at The Eden Cafe (free).    The have a nice selection of sandwiches and soups and some of the best brownies you will ever taste.    Many never find this hidden gem until 1/2 way through the cruise.    They have 2-3 cafe tables and a nice outside dining area on the adjacent deck.