Norwegian Priority Access

sdere96

Has anyone tried Norwegian's Priority Access program?  Cruising out of NYC in March and wondering if it's worth the extra $$$ to ensure quick check-in and boarding given we are traveling with my 2 year old son.  Sailed out of NYC in February 2019 and check-in was a breeze (best it's ever been in NYC) and we then walked right on the ship, but this could have been a fluke as other times its been nearly an hour+ wait just to check-in.  Curious to know others experiences with this new program or with check-in in NYC.

• Like 1

I just conducted a brief poll with 24 respondents. Average wait time for NYC NCL non priority cruisers was....1 - 1.5 hours 46%; 30 min - 1 hours 25 %. Do a search of the NCL boards, there are several reviews and experiences pertaining to P/A.

Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoobCroozer said:

I just conducted a brief poll with 24 respondents. Average wait time for NYC NCL non priority cruisers was....1 - 1.5 hours 46%; 30 min - 1 hours 25 %. Do a search of the NCL boards, there are several reviews and experiences pertaining to P/A.

Good luck!

What was the average wait time asked? 

- Boarding? Makes a huge difference if you get there at 9am and boarding begins at 1130am

- Ship? Makes a difference if it's the Breakaway or Dawn

We need to know the complete question you polled and the complete answers provided in order to have any of your info be useful. 

3 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

- Boarding? Makes a huge difference if you get there at 9am and boarding begins at 1130am

We need to know the complete question you polled and the complete answers provided in order to have any of your info be useful. 

I would be curious to know as well.  Although the ship can sometimes be counterintuitive.  You would think bigger ship longer wait but that is not necessarily always the case.  We waited close to an hour to check in for the Gem, but only 20 minutes to check in for the Escape.  This could be due to multiple factors such as our arrival time (9:30 am for Gem versus 11:30 am for Escape), less check-in lines open for smaller ships, or the check-in line the agents directed us to (it seemed they may have graciously directed us to a shorter line when checking in for the Escape after seeing we were traveling with a one year old).

8 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

It was generic average wait time for ncl nyc for non priority non handicapped non latitude pax.

It was not a scientific poll, didn’t include time of year, how many ships in port, size of the ship or if there was a full moon. Was asking the same question as op basically, except with her good experience previously in nyc mine was unpleasant. I understand there are many many different scenarios plugged into the poll, and as I write this I now see how meaningless it was.

:)

3 hours ago, sdere96 said:

Has anyone tried Norwegian's Priority Access program?  Cruising out of NYC in March and wondering if it's worth the extra $$$ to ensure quick check-in and boarding given we are traveling with my 2 year old son.  Sailed out of NYC in February 2019 and check-in was a breeze (best it's ever been in NYC) and we then walked right on the ship, but this could have been a fluke as other times its been nearly an hour+ wait just to check-in.  Curious to know others experiences with this new program or with check-in in NYC.

How do you book priority Access? Is it only offered to some?

37 minutes ago, HeatherLynne said:

How do you book priority Access? Is it only offered to some?

It was offered to me as an Add On during check in, but I read only 25 cabins can book. Not sure how this is monitored or enforced but perhaps offered to all until 25 have reserved it and then no longer offered?

• Like 1

Do a search of this board for "NoobCroozer"'s survey & accompanying comments from a bunch of us.  You'll get all the info you'll need to make an informed decision.  My 2 cents:

1) If you're concerned about time-to-board at the NYC cruise terminal your solution is VERY simple: get there AFTER 1PM.  You'll beat the initial boarding scrum and your experience will be MUCH less stressful.

2) IMHO based on the above I do NOT think at $179/cabin the so-called "Priority Boarding" is worth the extra $$. 

Truth-be-told, as a Platinum Latitudes member who has EARNED the Priority Boarding perquisite I very much resent NCL's cheapening of this perq by "selling" it in this fashion.  Again, my 2 cents.

Hey NCL, why not just offer Platinum & Platinum Plus Latitudes level on a per-cruise basis?  Say $999/pax for Platinum and $1299/pax for Platinum Plus?

Edited by tomk3212
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, tomk3212 said:

Do a search of this board for "NoobCroozer"'s survey & accompanying comments from a bunch of us.  You'll get all the info you'll need to make an informed decision.  My 2 cents:

1) If you're concerned about time-to-board at the NYC cruise terminal your solution is VERY simple: get there AFTER 1PM.  You'll beat the initial boarding scrum and your experience will be MUCH less stressful.

2) IMHO based on the above I do NOT think at $179/cabin the so-called "Priority Boarding" is worth the extra $$. 

Truth-be-told, as a Platinum Latitudes member who has EARNED the Priority Boarding perquisite I very much resent NCL's cheapening of this perq by "selling" it in this fashion.  Again, my 2 cents.

Hey NCL, why not just offer Platinum & Platinum Plus Latitudes level on a per-cruise basis?  Say $999/pax for Platinum and $1299/pax for Platinum Plus?

I agree with the cheapening of my Platinum plus perk and everytime I see posts about buying Priority and boarding before Platinum and Platinum Plus it really bothers me to think people buying are more important to NCL than those with loyalty.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

I agree with the cheapening of my Platinum plus perk and everytime I see posts about buying Priority and boarding before Platinum and Platinum Plus it really bothers me to think people buying are more important to NCL than those with loyalty.

If NCL allowed people to purchase things like Vibe ahead of their cruise, there would be no need to buy this perk. NCL could offer Haven and Platinum/Platinum Plus/Ambassador guests the Vibe option 120 days out and everyone else 100 days out. That way, you would cut down on people running to board the ship and creating chaos. And it would give people a little peace of mind prior to their vacation

• Like 3

Just now, dshefter said:

If NCL allowed people to purchase things like Vibe ahead of their cruise, there would be no need to buy this perk. NCL could offer Haven and Platinum/Platinum Plus/Ambassador guests the Vibe option 120 days out and everyone else 100 days out. That way, you would cut down on people running to board the ship and creating chaos. And it would give people a little peace of mind prior to their vacation

That would be a good way to handle it but people would be upset because the Haven/Plat/Plat Plus and Ambassador guests would buy most of the Vibe passes.  When we were in the haven I saw no need for a Vibe pass but I have read that Haven guests want to be assured of having an adult only area therefore the purchase Vibe passes.  

4 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

That would be a good way to handle it but people would be upset because the Haven/Plat/Plat Plus and Ambassador guests would buy most of the Vibe passes.  When we were in the haven I saw no need for a Vibe pass but I have read that Haven guests want to be assured of having an adult only area therefore the purchase Vibe passes.  

Why would you want a Vibe pass if you are in The Haven. You already have a private pool area, private restaurant and bar. That would seem like a waste of $$$$. Another way to handle would be to give a discount on Vibe to Haven/Platinum/Platinum Plus/Ambassador guests and the regular rack rate for others. Offer everything 120 days out. And the ship could hold a certain number of passes for embarkation day. They sell 300 on the Encore, and not everyone uses it at the same time. Probably could sell 400-500.

38 minutes ago, dshefter said:

Why would you want a Vibe pass if you are in The Haven. You already have a private pool area, private restaurant and bar. That would seem like a waste of $$$$. Another way to handle would be to give a discount on Vibe to Haven/Platinum/Platinum Plus/Ambassador guests and the regular rack rate for others. Offer everything 120 days out. And the ship could hold a certain number of passes for embarkation day. They sell 300 on the Encore, and not everyone uses it at the same time. Probably could sell 400-500.

As I said because at times the Haven can be filled with kids and people want to have the escape of Vibe.  I did not have Vibe passes when I was in the haven but on another cruise in a regular cabin I was lucky to get Vibe passes and there were Haven guests in Vibe enjoying the adult atmosphere.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 2:33 PM, NoobCroozer said:

It was generic average wait time for ncl nyc for non priority non handicapped non latitude pax.

It was not a scientific poll, didn’t include time of year, how many ships in port, size of the ship or if there was a full moon. Was asking the same question as op basically, except with her good experience previously in nyc mine was unpleasant. I understand there are many many different scenarios plugged into the poll, and as I write this I now see how meaningless it was.

🙂

I decided to purchase for March 2020 cruise on Bliss out of NYC as arriving at port later in afternoon to avoid lines is not an option due to our need to ensure we get parking at the port.  I, like you, have had not so favorable waiting experiences at NYC port.  Not necessarily waiting to board but moreso waiting in long check-in lines (way longer than what I have experienced in Boston or Miami).  Figured I would give the Priority Access a try this time if it means we can avoid an hour check-in line wait with an energetic toddler who will likely be extra impatient after having just endured a 4 hour car ride.  I will see how it goes and if not a good experience I will forgo in the future.  I can report back on how my experience was with it after the cruise.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:10 AM, dshefter said:

The OP and I travel with small children.  I don't care about Vibe or anything else, but it's a little challenging to wait with small kids for boarding/tenders.  So I'd consider purchasing the priority access just to avoid having to wait with my kids.  

On 1/16/2020 at 7:15 AM, tomk3212 said:

truth-be-told, as a Platinum Latitudes member who has EARNED the Priority Boarding perquisite I very much resent NCL's cheapening of this perq by "selling" it in this fashion.  Again, my 2 cents.

I understand your frustration as someone who has "earned" Platinum but NCL allowing passengers to purchase the perq is no different than someone's child being the 3rd or 4th passenger travelling free for 10 years and when turning 18 they automatically get Platinum status.  My 2 cents as well. 

On 1/16/2020 at 9:01 AM, TSUmom said:

it really bothers me to think people buying are more important to NCL than those with loyalty.

Um you do now that's how companies work. They need new money whereas loyalty is no guarantee of money coming in nor whether a specific customer is actually profitable. Offering perks for pay is close to pure profit where someone could get loyalty by sailing nothing but fire sale fares and purchase nothing extra on board likely costing the company money. This is why a lot of airlines added in a revenue component to their loyalty program not just number of flights. 

Companies often make a lot of their profit off their high dollar items and their cheaper ones sometimes even operate as a loss. Cruises are likely the same. They would rather someone cruise Haven once instead of sailaway inside 5 times. 

Wherever the next recession comes if occupancy rates drop companies will probably shift focus back to their loyalty programs. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 8:01 AM, TSUmom said:

it's  my understanding that people who buy Priority board after haven and platinum

On 1/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, dshefter said:

It's the nature of greed...to want more for the sake of wanting more. 

12 hours ago, esm54687 said:

I understand your frustration as someone who has "earned" Platinum but NCL allowing passengers to purchase the perq is no different than someone's child being the 3rd or 4th passenger travelling free for 10 years and when turning 18 they automatically get Platinum status.  My 2 cents as well. 

Wow, didn't know that! Or are you just saying it WOULD be like them doing that?

41 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Wow, didn't know that! Or are you just saying it WOULD be like them doing that?

It is exactly what happens...... thousands of Platinum/Platinum Plus/Ambassador Latitude members are just waiting to turn 18 who have spent ZERO on cruise fares