New Regent app

tampadee

I just received an e-mail from Regent about their new app.  The app is supposed to allow guests to bring their smart phone and use earphones to be able to hear the tour guide while on an excursion.

Anyone know about this?  Does it work?

Agree with Flossie009. It worked well on the few excursions it was used. I wish it was used more but there was resistance from some passengers and some tour guides.  The resistance was three fold - some people couldn't get it to work, others just weren't prepared to try and some said they didn't get the information so didn't download the app. Regent made a big mistake in not making it easy to download app onboard.  Some tried but the internet didn't always cooperate.  

Maybe there will be less resistance on your cruise. I encourage you to load the app and give it a try. Makes tours more enjoyable as you can hear everything without being glued to the tour guide. 

Curious.  I tried to download this app to my iPad and it is a google play app and not available for Apple devices.  It is not listed in the Apple App Store either.   Am I missing something?  Surely Regent wouldn’t have an app only for android smart phones!  

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I assume you need ear phones for the iPhone to listen to the guide?  Or do they hand them out?  I don't generally travel with those.

Don't think they would do that Gerry.  Would need several different types of headphones as there are quire a few different connectors to connect headphones to the many different smart phones and tablets.  Have to bring your own for sure.  Even iphones now have multiple connectors; the originals had phone jacks but, the newer ones use the lightening connector or bluetooth.

Thats what makes the quiet vox the best way for Regent to go as it is a package with the receiver and headphones.  Plus in our cabin were two charging stations plugged into ships power without taking away available outlets.  We simply put the vox on the charger after our excursions and they were ready to go next day.  Provided by the cruise line is best way to go as small tour operators simply cannot afford the costs for infrequent tours while the shop is constantly having tours and only needs to provide the master box to the guide.

2 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Thanks Dave - I had no idea whatsoever that my new iPhone might have a different ear thing.   I shall have to go to the Apple store and see what they suggest I get.  Hopefully that would also work with the iPad.  We'll see...

Gerry

If your iphone is 7 or above, your lightening power jack is also used for headphones.  You should have gotten earphones with the lightening connector when you got your iphone.  I do know Paige as a 7 and headphones with the lightning connector and I have an XR with the lightning connector headphones so you should have the same thing in your iphone box.  Think it was in the bottom of the box below the packaging so look hard as you probably already have what you need.

You can save money by buying on Amazon or anything other than Apple. The headphones with lighting connector are available many places.   Depending on your usage you might consider bluetooth to avoid the cord and be able to use with other devices.

Don't forget where I live!  Amazon won't ship to Switzerland any more.  We have to use Amazon FR or DE.  The Apple fellow is a 5 mns walk away!!

I didn't look for any earphones when I got the new phone BUT I found the box AND I found the ear phones, neatly wrapped with the lightening connector.  Bless you Dave!

Edited by Hambagahle

2 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Don't forget where I live!  Amazon won't ship to Switzerland any more.  We have to use Amazon FR or DE.  The Apple fellow is a 5 mns walk away!!

I didn't look for any earphones when I got the new phone and all carton gets recycled so they are probably in some paper mill still in the bottom of the box!  Good thing I found all this out before leaving home.

Sorry about that; had no idea Amazon was boycotting your neutral country.   Don't have to use amazon, any mail order would have headphones with lighting connector or if you have old headphones you can buy an adapter from lighting phone jack.  Lots of choices on the internet that do ship to Switzerland.  Hope you and Ken enjoy your cruise.

They aren't boycotting us - they are trying to force us to use Amazon DE and they are supposed to be opening up an Amazon CH.  We'll see.  Anyway - I found them in their lovely packaging and obviously never used.  Will bring them along.  (and get the APP)

Gerry

Thank you, Rally Dave!   A few months ago I discovered I didn’t have an earphone jack in my iPhone 10, so I bought a generic tether that failed in a few weeks so I sent it back.  I then tried 3 iterations of blue tooth earbuds that didn’t fit my ears.  I finally went with cheap but wonderful over the ear blue tooth headphones to use at the gym.  However, I didn’t want to take them on our next cruise as they are too bulky.  After reading your post, I dug through my box of iPhone assessories  from previous iterations of Iphones and, lo and behold, there was an unopened package of earbuds that i had just ignored, thinking they were duplicates of previous earbuds.  I opened them up and, indeed, they had the lightening connection!   Problem solved!  

The problem with that dongle connector if it has that one of course is it tends to get lost, and then you're stuck.  Better if it's a direct lighhtning connector. I'd recommend just getting a pair of bluetooth headphones.  Much more convenient than a wired connection when out and about anyway. In the US you can get perfectly serviceable ones for $30 on the internet or in stores. Do they still have Migros in Switzerland?  I'll bet you can even pick them up there, let alone a phone or electronics store.

Edited by jan-n-john

I would urge guests to read the thread linked in post #2.

I would also suggest that everyone be familiar with opening and closing apps and changing between apps on their phones.  If you plan to use your phone as a camera, you need to be able to switch from the Regent app to the camera on your phone.  Also if you have wired earphones attached to your phone it can sometimes be a bit more complicated to take a photo because of clothing getting in the way of the wires.  

In my experience the app usually worked okay in the background while using the camera.  The app did disconnect on occasion and one needs to know how to get back to the app and try to reconnect or possibly close the app and restart it.  Also need to know how to adjust the volume on the phone easily.  If you are close to the guide you may want to lower the volume because of the sound delay with the bluetooth connection that creates an echo-like effect between the earphones and the guide's voice.

Some travelers were not very familiar with using a phone so had problems using the app and switching to camera mode.  In addition the app screen was sensitive to touch (of course) and people seemed to have trouble accidentally touching the wrong spot and messing up the connection.  

This thread actually brings up a question. I haven't been on a Regent cruise for about 15 months (hope to rectify that in April!) but is there an regent app for onboard the ship now?

We took a Princess cruise last fall and there was a Princess app that was surprisingly handy. Had a ship map, times and venues of all the activities, reminder for booked activities, and your account info and activity.

Does Regent do anything like that now? I was a little skeptical at first if I'd use it but I found on Princess I looked at it a few times daily. Of course, I was perfectly fine without one before and Regent ships aren't that large, but it might be handy nevertheless.

20 minutes ago, slidebite said:

This thread actually brings up a question. I haven't been on a Regent cruise for about 15 months (hope to rectify that in April!) but is there an regent app for onboard the ship now?

Nothing like you described.  The "App" being discussed is strictly a link from your smart phone or ipad to the guide on tours to hear what he says.  For use only on tours, nothing like the Princess App you are talking about.

One very important thing regarding the app for tours is to download the app before you get on the ship. You will never be able to download it once on the ship with the internet on the ship. Most phones come with earphones so make sure to bring them. If you use your phone to take pictures, you can use it while using the app. As one person stated it doesn't disconnect the audio but just go thru the steps you followed to get on it to begin with. On one of the ship channels there are directions about the use of the app. Also, you need to put your phone in airplane mode when using the app, which insures you don't accidently us data. Enjoy 

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to bring this thread back up to see what the experience has been for those that have cruised recently or are cruising now.  A few questions-

• Do all/most/just a few excursions utilize the app?
  • Are people finding it easy to use?
  • Is it utilized by the majority of guests?
  • The email that I received says "We recommend wired headphones over wireless for longer tours."  It would seem to me that wireless would be far more convenient to use, is this recommendation solely to preserve battery life?

Thanks, Bob