Studio Stateroom

trbarton

I love them! And Bliss was the first ship that the studios have virtual windows which in my opinion puts them above an inside. It's a good amount of space for one person, great storage. The only thing that really bugs me is the small sink, but it's really only a problem washing my face when water easily gets splashed on the ground. (The bed on the Bliss is also slightly smaller than the studios before it which I didn't like but wasn't a huge thing) I love the lounge and that's mostly for the ice water that's there's ask the time - if you like coffee the free coffee machine is a huge plus and it has snacks too. I also like that the floors are between 678 and the upper decks. 

I took the photo between the shower and toilet. 

20190505_121131.jpg

I've cruised in studio cabins on Epic, Escape and Encore. I like them. They're small, but designed well for efficient use of the space. I was concerned that I wouldn't like the smaller bed on Encore, but I ended up appreciating the additional floor space. The virtual window is a really great addition imo. 

Loved the Studio on the Bliss.  Similar complaint to @smplybcause about the sink, but mine is because I couldn't fill my water bottle from it.

For one person on a typical cruise it's a great cabin, but I'm not sure I'd do one of the 3-week NY-SEA cruises in there.

• Like 1

I love the studio cabins. I haven’t sailed Bliss yet (sailing her in September) but they are great for solo travelers. I think the size is perfect, and the storage is adequate. I had enough room for all my clothes on a 11 day cruise with cold weather clothes packed due to starting/ending in NY. I did think the room could do for more shelves storage for toiletries, especially with the storage around the sink jammed with towels. I think the hallway is very quite because it is keycard secured so there aren’t as many people wandering drunkenly to their rooms. If your studio connects it can be loud depending on how loud your neighbor is. I think the window/picture window keeps it from being claustrophobic. I really love the studio lounge for tea and snack in the morning, and ice water through the day. Also nice is the studio room includes a perk an room choice for not like an inside or whatever where it will be several hundred dollars more for those options. 

I love the studio cabins--they keep me sailing on NCL.  I have mild claustrophobia and worried about the studio cabins at first.  However, after a short "trial" cruise (4 days on the Epic in a studio), I was completely sold.  Now I do at least one 14-15 day cruise each year in a studio. 

• Like 2

Also chiming in to note that luggage fits well under the bed. I brought a 28” rolling duffel and had no difficulty stashing it out of the way.

The desk space (under the TV) is small. Unless you’re planning to actually buy the pricey bottled water placed there, ask the room steward to take that stuff away. I also moved all the promotional junk from the bedside holder to the closet so I could put my phone and tablet there for charging. There are two USB ports below the phone - they’re hidden behind the art show brochure in the photo posted in this thread. 

I would absolutely book another Studio! 

• Like 1

I've sailed both studios and inside staterooms.  I much prefer the studios.  The inside room felt like a closet - cruise line decided that X number of furnishings was appropriate and crammed them in however they fit.  The studio felt more spacious even with lower square footage,  simply because it was designed better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

pricey bottled water placed there, ask the room steward to take that stuff away

I did the same!

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

I also moved all the promotional junk from the bedside holder to the closet so I could put my phone and tablet there for charging. There are two USB ports below the phone - they’re hidden behind the art show brochure in the photo posted in this thread.

I don't use "public" USB ports, I bring my own charging block.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I did the same!

I don't use "public" USB ports, I bring my own charging block.

Ah, but you can use data blockers. You plug your cable into the blocker and the blocker into the USB port. It allows power but no data transfer. Mine are PortaPows ($12 for two via Amazon).

The only drawback is that they’re about an inch long. This is not an issue for USB ports which face outward (Studio cabins, airplanes, airport waiting areas, etc). However, they were too long to use in the Joy mini-suite because the USB ports are on the side of the lighting fixture facing the headboard, and there was barely enough wiggle room to plug in even the naked USB cable. Luckily I had packed a charging block just in case.

• Like 1

I was on the Bliss a couple of months ago in a single room. I had plenty of room for everything (some people, who came to tour my room, commented I had more storage in my room than they did in a regular inside room).  The first day or so, I was a little iffy about the room, but once I got use to the space, I really liked it.  As the others mentioned above, the small sink was my pet peeve also, but since all I did was brush my teeth and wash my face in it, I got by (thankfully, there's a tile floor under it).  Please be aware, the shower is in the corner of the room, not in a separate room. 

The best part was the dedicated lounge.  There were always snacks, water, juice, coffee, and a wine machine in there (yes, you have to pay for the wine). We had nightly solo traveler meets, with a dedicated crew member, who would take names every night for people who wanted to eat as a group in the dining room, and would make the reservations for this, and some of the shows, for the following night.  It was also a great place to hang out and meet people, read, or just relax.

Also, the virtual porthole was great.  It gave you an idea of what the weather was like without having to go outside.  It also makes a great nightlight, if needed. 

Hope this helps with your decision 😊

20190922_124352.jpg

20190922_124401.jpg

20190922_141036.jpg

20190928_232330.jpg

20190928_232409.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jcscv said:

I was on the Bliss a couple of months ago in a single room. I had plenty of room for everything (some people, who came to tour my room, commented I had more storage in my room than they did in a regular inside room).  The first day or so, I was a little iffy about the room, but once I got use to the space, I really liked it.  As the others mentioned above, the small sink was my pet peeve also, but since all I did was brush my teeth and wash my face in it, I got by (thankfully, there's a tile floor under it).  Please be aware, the shower is in the corner of the room, not in a separate room. 

The best part was the dedicated lounge.  There were always snacks, water, juice, coffee, and a wine machine in there (yes, you have to pay for the wine). We had nightly solo traveler meets, with a dedicated crew member, who would take names every night for people who wanted to eat as a group in the dining room, and would make the reservations for this, and some of the shows, for the following night.  It was also a great place to hang out and meet people, read, or just relax.

Also, the virtual porthole was great.  It gave you an idea of what the weather was like without having to go outside.  It also makes a great nightlight, if needed. 

Hope this helps with your decision 😊

20190922_124352.jpg

20190922_124401.jpg

20190922_141036.jpg

20190928_232330.jpg

20190928_232409.jpg

Thanks for your great photos. Very professional. Is the door opposite the shower a storage closet?  I likes the idea of a room for single people & arranging dinner together as a group. 

Thanks to all who have replied. 

Tom😀

3 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Is the door opposite the shower a storage closet?

That's the head, or the WC as some call it.

2 hours ago, coastcat said:

Ah, but you can use data blockers. You plug your cable into the blocker and the blocker into the USB port. It allows power but no data transfer. Mine are PortaPows ($12 for two via Amazon)

For a little more than the cost of 2 of those I have a block that can charge up to 5 devices, and at a higher speed...

43 minutes ago, jcscv said:

I had more storage in my room than they did in a regular inside room

I also found the storage to be surprisingly abundant considering it's for one person.

6 minutes ago, Beachiekeen said:

Can anyone advise how far in advance you have to book one—is it pretty much the day the cruise is released?

No. I've booked a few around 30 days ahead no problem. Of course there are some cruises that sell out of studios. And if it happens to be a popular week for studios the price will go up. 

4 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

No. I've booked a few around 30 days ahead no problem. Of course there are some cruises that sell out of studios. And if it happens to be a popular week for studios the price will go up. 

Thanks. This would be for for my mom for Alaska, although probably not the Bliss. But probably popular still. Such a great cabin, wish more lines offered it.

3 minutes ago, Beachiekeen said:

Thanks. This would be for for my mom for Alaska, although probably not the Bliss. But probably popular still. Such a great cabin, wish more lines offered it.

Alaska can vary. One of my 30 days out once was Alaska on Bliss. (Btw Bliss is the only ship sailing Alaska this summer with studios.) But it was also the first sailing of the season. 

4 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Alaska can vary. One of my 30 days out once was Alaska on Bliss. (Btw Bliss is the only ship sailing Alaska this summer with studios.) But it was also the first sailing of the season. 

Yeah we would be looking at 2022 but those aren’t out yet. I’m seeing some for 2021 so that’s encouraging.

Just now, Beachiekeen said:

Yeah we would be looking at 2022 but those aren’t out yet. I’m seeing some for 2021 so that’s encouraging.

Joy is the only away class that doesn't have studios. If the current history is anything they'll keep two away class in Alaska so they'll be at least one there with studios.