NCL Escape 4 person balcony sofa bed... have I just doomed my entire vacation?

Adia4ous

The OP stated that having four in the cabin was the only way to afford the cruise. Enough said. 
It’s good that some here are being encouraging and offering helpful suggestions regarding making the bedding situation more comfortable.
OP, I think it will likely work out.

Try to think about all the fun you’ll have on the cruise!🌞

15 minutes ago, Mira28 said:

The OP stated that having four in the cabin was the only way to afford the cruise. Enough said. 
It’s good that some here are being encouraging and offering helpful suggestions regarding making the bedding situation more comfortable.

Well said.

Think you’ll be fine. Sounds like you are good friends (or family?) and will be fine with beds and bathroom. As they always say you’re in the cabin to sleep, shower, and change clothes. I did a small inside years ago with 3 teenage sons and we had a blast. The cabin got messier than with only two, so I tipped our room steward very well.

Enjoy your cruise.

8 hours ago, BostonGal35 said:

4 adults in a balcony room concerns me personally not from a bed perspective but from a bathroom perspective.  i could not do it, but many do.  

Also where does the 207 sq ft come into play. Isn’t that balcony included to come up with that much space.

my husband and i can barely share one bathroom much less 4 adults. 

This is doable. The twin sofa is much more "bed-like" than it appears in the photo. A couple of things and suggestions:

• Your steward will turn the sofa into a bunk bed when s/he turns down the room. The cushion is removed from the back, so the lower bed becomes an absolute twin bed, as does the upper bunk. The upper bunk has its own light which is great if you have a nighttime reader (though it might still be annoying for others in the room if the light is on!)
  • As others stated, ask for a mattress topper for the two twin beds, if you deem them to be uncomfortable. I tried out the lower bed and found it to be quite comfortable.
  • Under the "bunk bed" are two drawers which are great for clothing storage for those guests. There's also a cupboard under the mirror in the room, which fits folded clothes nicely. We managed to fit clothing for five people in a four person room, so it's completely doable.
  • Stick your suitcases under the bed to free up room.
  • The bathroom/shower situation will be your only real "issue". We didn't find it to be an issue when we went, as we were all naturally on different schedules. Some early risers, some who slept in, some who preferred a shower later. I'm guessing anyone who uses the gym could also elect to shower, there.
  • Bring "poo-pourri" or another bathroom spray for the washroom. Mandate usage. Trust me. As someone else stated, get to know the closest public washrooms as well.
  • Don't get the continental breakfast delivered to your room. With that many people in a room, the dishes take over! Just go hit up the buffet or restaurant for your AM coffee/etc. 🙂
  • If there is an issue with "fairness" surrounding the beds (ie: who gets the bunks and who gets the regular bed) you can ask your steward to re-dress the beds with clean bedding halfway through the cruise and simply switch spots. 🙂

I've done this with two adult-sized teens, but have considered doing this with another couple (using 3rd and 4th guest sail free) who couldn't otherwise afford to cruise with us. So I do think you can make it work, for sure, as long as your mindset is positive and you have realistic expectations. The room WILL be a bit crowded, but if you think of it as just a place to sleep, and not a place to hang out, you'll be good!

Edited by NikkiDee-Canada
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Cancel ???

Consider some alternatives

Are you in the Final Payment period (120 days to sailing) ?

No doubt you are with sailing weeks away - cancellation penalties

are a terrible way to solve this - - -

Consider adding an Inside cabin is somewhere close by -

If the ESCAPE is not sailing 100% FULL possible to discuss a deal

Yes it will cost for the second cabin but not as much as the balcony

Then you can solve the comfortable bedding and bath occupancy issue

Cost versus Comfort and Space

Get room keys for all to come and visit each other - share the balcony cabin

If no inside cabin is close by consider a move to another balcony with an inside close by

Don't give up easily on that vacation and above all avoid the unpleasant cancellation penalties !

A note about storage-

We found on a Breakaway cruise that the steward used the drawers under the sofa to store extra bedding.

It may be different on the Encore,but I would not rely on that space for any personal item storage.

The closet on the Breakaway was small, a bit cramped for DH and me to hang clothes,but maybe we tend to over-pack. Part of the closet was difficult to get to because of the side of the  sofa being placed alongside the closet.

i am in agreement with other posters. Think about booking an interior room for two of the four people. Keeping cost in mind, perhaps you could rebook with two inside cabins instead of the one balcony cabin. 

Hope it works out for you.

On 1/22/2020 at 1:59 PM, Mira28 said:

I don't necessarily think that it is enough said.  There may be options for the OP that they have not considered.   For me personally, I would try to call. They may be able to get a second cabin for a similar price, especially since a lot of prices are falling.   The only time I did 4 to a room of that size, it was super, super cramped and chaotic. And that would get rid of any concerns about sofa beds