Online Checkin

wowzz

6 minutes ago, Cruising Nomads said:

Wowzz. Hope you are not relying on the rugby to be shown on the cabin tv as Sport 24 will be screening live premiership football.

I wouldn't worry... 

Mrs W will put her foot down and he will be listening to a Jazz trio somewhere.. 

😊

Andy 

2 hours ago, Cruising Nomads said:

Wowzz. Hope you are not relying on the rugby to be shown on the cabin tv as Sport 24 will be screening live premiership football.

I was hoping that the rugby might be shown in one of the bars. 

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I wouldn't worry... 

Mrs W will put her foot down and he will be listening to a Jazz trio somewhere.. 

😊

Andy 

Fortunately wild horses won't get Mrs W to a Jazz trio.  Now,  if Mr Springsteen was playing,  that would be a different matter!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just used online check-in for my cruise departing 11th March, as well as printing off my e-ticket. My boarding pass shows my arrival time as 2:30 pm, whereas my e-ticket shows it as 13:00! I suppose I'll just choose whichever time I prefer! The e-ticket also has a section on "Transfer from airport to ship", which isn't very clever seeing that the cruise departs from Southampton.

• Like 1

I got a link to online check in a few days ago for our Oceana cruise on Sunday.

Not sure how it works and, as we have priority boarding anyway, wont bother with it.

Had already printed our luggage labels and e-tickets so we will try to turn up just after noon on Sunday and book in using the old method.

We were selected for online checkin for our cruise on Oceana a couple of weeks ago. Filled in all the necessary information prior to departure. 

Our official check in time was 2:30. We arrived at the terminal just after 11:30. Waited around 20 minutes to check the car in with CPS,  as there was a bit of a back log as they dealt with the first influx of cars. 

Then walked straight to a check in desk in the terminal, where our passports were checked, and our photographs taken, which were then linked to our waiting cruise cards.  Probably took 3 minutes in total. Then through security, and on to the ship. From the time we entered the terminal to sitting in the buffet with a glass of something cold took no more than 20 minutes.  

Much quicker process than Priority Boarding.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

We were selected for online checkin for our cruise on Oceana a couple of weeks ago. Filled in all the necessary information prior to departure. 

Our official check in time was 2:30. We arrived at the terminal just after 11:30. Waited around 20 minutes to check the car in with CPS,  as there was a bit of a back log as they dealt with the first influx of cars. 

Then walked straight to a check in desk in the terminal, where our passports were checked, and our photographs taken, which were then linked to our waiting cruise cards.  Probably took 3 minutes in total. Then through security, and on to the ship. From the time we entered the terminal to sitting in the buffet with a glass of something cold took no more than 20 minutes.  

Yes, but the important question is 'Were you able to watch the rugby?' 😄

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I did our online check-in last night ready for joining Oceana on Sunday.   It was very easy to do so now I wait to see how much difference we will see compared to previous port check-ins.

Do you know if this is still a trial or is everyone on board able to check in online? I'm interested to see how they cope with a ship full as opposed to a select few on a trial.

3 minutes ago, kenhem said:

Do you know if this is still a trial or is everyone on board able to check in online? I'm interested to see how they cope with a ship full as opposed to a select few on a trial.

My impression is that it is still a trial, as in our case, we were "invited" to take part. Hopefully it will be rolled out to everyone, as it must be a quicker process than the current, somewhat outdated procedure. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Did they take your photo Wowzz or did they scan it from your passport like they did ours?

Andy 

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We wondered how long it would take until they realised none of us look like our passport photos. 

In ours, I look dead and Michelle looks like Myra Hindley!! 😊

No wonder they changed it... 

Andy 

The problem of course, is that you have no idea what the photo they take looks like,  unless you try and sneak a glance at the screen when you embark!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The problem of course, is that you have no idea what the photo they take looks like,  unless you try and sneak a glance at the screen when you embark!

We only realised they had used our passport photos when a helpful drinks waiter showed us our order on his ipad to confirm our order was correct. 

Andy 

They didn't take our photos at the desk when we used on line check in a couple of weeks ago, and I was most impressed with the whole process. I didn't time it but I reckon it was no more than 15 mins from dropping our bags to being on board. The only slight snag I had was I couldn't print the boarding passes from my iPad and I had to log on using the PC to get them, but I'll be ready for that next time.

23 hours ago, wowzz said:

OK, but on our last cruise, we had Priority Boarding as we are Caribbean.  Walked to the desk, did all the usual and on the ship within about 20 minutes, so don't see the difference?

25 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

OK, but on our last cruise, we had Priority Boarding as we are Caribbean.  Walked to the desk, did all the usual and on the ship within about 20 minutes, so don't see the difference?

Jean, I suppose it depends what you mean by "doing the usual ". Apart from showing our passports and having our photo taken, we did nothing at all. It certainly took a lot less than 20 minutes. 

I suppose it just means that the process takes longer if you have Priority Boarding than if you do online check in.

Would agree with Jean that with priority booking the 20 minutes includes getting through security and onto the ship.

If you still have your passport(s) scanned and photos taken then the only difference seems to be that I will have to register my credit card (all of 30 seconds).

26 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Would agree with Jean that with priority booking the 20 minutes includes getting through security and onto the ship.

If you still have your passport(s) scanned and photos taken then the only difference seems to be that I will have to register my credit card (all of 30 seconds).

Which is longer than it took us !

Once it is rolled out to all Pax, it may not mean that each party is dealt with a lot quicker than now but the collective experience will probably be a lot quicker.  Thirty seconds is nothing to us as individuals but when dealing with over 5000 pax on Iona and her sister-ship it will shorten the overall time for boarding.

It is also at least one thing less to have to scrabble around in your bag trying to find the wallet/credit card etc.  One way or another, it has to be an improvement.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Once it is rolled out to all Pax, it may not mean that each party is dealt with a lot quicker than now but the collective experience will probably be a lot quicker.  Thirty seconds is nothing to us as individuals but when dealing with over 5000 pax on Iona and her sister-ship it will shorten the overall time for boarding.

It is also at least one thing less to have to scrabble around in your bag trying to find the wallet/credit card etc.  One way or another, it has to be an improvement.

Totally agree. To be honest,  I'm surprised that P&O didn't pre-authorise credit and debit cards years ago. Waiting to do so until check in adds another time constraint to the whole process.

• Like 1