HAL's Poor Response to Corona Virus

USN59-79

5 minutes ago, eurolady said:

It is unconscionable that HAL has yet to make a decision on our Feb.29 sailing.😱

I agree.

We also know now that they made a horrible mistake on the FEB 1 cruise that I should have been on.

Since we made the right decision and cancelled instead of being stuck like the passengers are now, we are not getting a refund.  

I feel for all the passengers, I really do.  But I also think that passengers that cancelled should get a refund.  I surely don't want future credit because I will never step on another HAL cruise after the way they have handled this.  

But, good luck eurolady, I am sure you will get a refund.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

No, this hasn't been posted before. So, if you get sick, even a non-corona illness, there may not be a way to get home.

Yes, so it makes me wonder why I paid so much for trip insurance and they won't cover the cancellation or cover if I got sick and needed evacuation like I paid for.  This is just a bad, bad situation.  

2 minutes ago, Level six said:

Yes, so it makes me wonder why I paid so much for trip insurance and they won't cover the cancellation or cover if I got sick and needed evacuation like I paid for.  This is just a bad, bad situation.  

We all buy insurance in good faith that it will be there for us when we need it.  None of the insurers are doing this to be spiteful - they're doing it because their hands are tied at the moment.  As far as trip cancellation, unless you buy Cancel For Any Reason policies (we personally do not), they are not required to reimburse you because you "might" get sick and therefore don't want to travel.  Not trying to be the bad guy here, just stating fact. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, eurolady said:

Just received an upgrade offer for this sailing LOL😂....HAL is really out of touch with reality.😠

Haha, I love it.  When I called HAL after the FEB 1 cruise was sailing, the rep asked how I was enjoying my cruise!  They did not even know I had cancelled.  I made my husband check the card to see if they were charging grats.  

HAL is a mess.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Level six said:

I agree.

We also know now that they made a horrible mistake on the FEB 1 cruise that I should have been on.

Since we made the right decision and cancelled instead of being stuck like the passengers are now, we are not getting a refund.  

I feel for all the passengers, I really do.  But I also think that passengers that cancelled should get a refund.  I surely don't want future credit because I will never step on another HAL cruise after the way they have handled this.  

But, good luck eurolady, I am sure you will get a refund.  

I know it's probably a lot of aggravation, but might be worth it to keep plugging away at them, to contact any local consumer advocate services TV stations sometimes offer, etc.  Publicizing that you rightly cancelled before the trip and now they aren't giving you your money back -- even though they are refunding others -- might get you something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

No, this hasn't been posted before. So, if you get sick, even a non-corona illness, there may not be a way to get home. 

Yes, you are correct.

I would hope, at this point experienced  travelers (such as many of us here on CC) take all this info into consideration when choosing  to continue traveling

Right now, I am watching a cargo plane chartered by U.S. state department, bringing about 300 citizens home fro m  China.     theyfirst stopped in Vancouver and are now safely landed on  U.S.soil--    California.  I imagine there are many VEry  happy   Amercans  on that plane, to  be safely safely 'home.

Edited by sail7seas

1 hour ago, Level six said:

If there's no evacuation service, there's nothing insurance can do. They can't make a Learjet materialize out of nowhere. I can understand why the medjet people won't handle flights from China. Disinfecting that plane would be VERY difficult.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If there's no evacuation service, there's nothing insurance can do. They can't make a Learjet materialize out of nowhere. I can understand why the medjet people won't handle flights from China. Disinfecting that plane would be VERY difficult.

I agree.  I am not saying it is wrong. 

I am just saying I wonder what my insurance did cover since it is not paying for cancellation, etc.  I'm just sad because we paid a lot for our insurance and it seems pretty useless now.  Just venting and sad.  

When we travel, we cannot possibly foresee every possible problem that might arise.  All we can do is provide for ourselves in the best (for us) possible way  If you   cannot know, things will happen and know you did your best  in advance to prepare...... you might wish to travel limited amount  as a means to gauge your tolerance

• Like 3

There is a very informative C.C. Board written by insurance experts on the ins/outs of cruise insurance. It's called Cruise/Travel Insurance under Cruise Discussion Topics. It also explains CFAR policies, the timeline requirements to buy and to cancel so you will be covered, and the differences between what you receive based on the type of CFAR purchased. They also suggest that if you trying to get something refunded or reimbursed from any vendor that it isn't usually helpful to tell the vendor that you will never again do business with them (even if that is your intent).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eurolady said:

Just received an upgrade offer for this sailing LOL😂....HAL is really out of touch with reality.😠

IF that wasn't so pathetic ON  HAL's part, one could  find it ridiculously 🤣 FUNNY

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

There is a very informative C.C. Board written by insurance experts on the ins/outs of cruise insurance. It's called Cruise/Travel Insurance under Cruise Discussion Topics. It also explains CFAR policies, the timeline requirements to buy and to cancel so you will be covered, and the differences between what you receive based on the type of CFAR purchased. They also suggest that if you trying to get something refunded or reimbursed from any vendor that it isn't usually helpful to tell the vendor that you will never again do business with them (even if that is your intent).

Why would any business spend time and effort  trying to satisfy you if you have declared are finished with them, before you even begin stating your case?

2 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Why would any business spend time and effort  trying to satisfy you if you have declared are finished with them, before you even begin stating your case?

That was exactly their point.

Maybe a more successful approach might be, "I'd like to keep doing business with you, so how can we work this out so we're both satisfied?"

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

That was exactly their point.

Maybe a more successful approach might be, "I'd like to keep doing business with you, so how can we work this out so we're both satisfied?"

Very tactful and a far better approach.  Anyone hearing those words would think this person is reasonable, diplomatic and worth trying to keep s a cudsotmer,  IMO  Do  't we all prefer a positive way of looking at things?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Level six said:

I agree.  I am not saying it is wrong. 

I am just saying I wonder what my insurance did cover since it is not paying for cancellation, etc.  I'm just sad because we paid a lot for our insurance and it seems pretty useless now.  Just venting and sad.  

Well if you get a covered reason as listed under the policy then you are covered.  Just don't expect it to pay for reasons that are not covered.  

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Very tactful and a far better approach.  Anyone hearing those words would think this person is reasonable, diplomatic and worth trying to keep s a cudsotmer,  IMO  Do  't we all prefer a positive way of looking at things?

Good approach, but customers services's hand are pretty much tied at this point.  One could try a letter to senior management, but I would not expect much.  Maybe a small response of some kind on a future cruise.

I have spoken to HAL's hotline twice a day....each time I call I get a different person and a different response...most are clueless (hangup and callback if you get anyone named Annie😲)....each time there is a different answer to the same questions or the conditions are a different rendition....nothing is offered in writing....almost all calls require hold time while the person on the line goes back to a supervisor.    I am shocked at the lack of and quality of customer service displayed.