HAL's Poor Response to Corona Virus

USN59-79

14 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

believe you are talking about the policies offered by some cruise line itself-not nearly as broad or ashigh limits  as the other companies out there. So who is the Homer here? Do your homework .

people take out or don't take out insurance for a variety of reasons. some people self insure for cruises, airplanes, rental cars, etc. even if we hadn't gotten this cruise refunded, we would have spent considerably more buying insurance for all our previous cruises than the cost of this one. costing out whether or not to buy insurance is pretty complex. if a person travels a lot, it may be more cost effective to self insure. only you can figure out what is best for your situation.

on the other hand we always have medical insurance. getting flown home for medical treatment can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. we can bear the cost of missing a trip but paying for medical treatment is a different story.

do the math!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

Again check the policy. I have used a company that will reimburse 100% of the non refundable expense

I   believe you are talking about the policies offered by some cruise line itself-not nearly as broad or ashigh limits  as the other companies out there. So who is the Homer here? Do your homework .. the cruise lines policies are usually verylow limits and offer less  as a % as policies you can find onlineAnd why nickel and dime over maybe a litlle more expensive policy(and not significant, a drop in the bucket) when you are forking over thousands of dollars(usually)mon a cruise? NowTHAT seems silly .. oh well  

Ill admit when I wam wrong.I hav eused cancel for any reason insurance before but it was due to a medical reason and wa scovered 100%

Having been a Hiomer now ans I apologize for using that term before,I still say it is worth having a cancellation for any reason  policy even if it is a little more expensive and covers a bit less ,especially as far out as you booked

1 minute ago, Viv0828 said:

people take out or don't take out insurance for a variety of reasons. some people self insure for cruises, airplanes, rental cars, etc. even if we hadn't gotten this cruise refunded, we would have spent considerably more buying insurance for all our previous cruises than the cost of this one. costing out whether or not to buy insurance is pretty complex. if a person travels a lot, it may be more cost effective to self insure. only you can figure out what is best for your situation.

on the other hand we always have medical insurance. getting flown home for medical treatment can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. we can bear the cost of missing a trip but paying for medical treatment is a different story.

do the math!

True

It is up to every person to decide what he or she needs. 

Having said that I have  been reading cruise critic  a lot of people in the case of their trips being affected by thecorona virus, expecting the cruise line to pay for things the individual should or would have had covered by a GOOD TIP

I got a good independent insurance.  Look at your previous ones purchased and see if they cover epidemic. 

Also, some are reporting that cancel for any reason are not paying either.  So, don't assume that you are the only one who has done their homework.

I am sure you are a nice person, but you should read how your posts appear to be condescending.

2 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

I have  been reading cruise critic  a lot of people in the case of their trips being affected by thecorona virus, expecting the cruise line to pay for things the individual should or would have had covered by a GOOD TIP

i guess i expect a cruise line to take responsibility for their passengers (and crew)

if a cruise is cancelled, i expect a refund and if it is short notice, i expect to get compensated for my transportation as well.

if a cruise is substantially changed, i expect to have a choice between cruising or getting a refund.

if a cruise is in an area that becomes dangerous (medically, physically, or whatever), i expect a choice between cruising or getting a refund.

can't think of any thing else at the moment but i am sure there are other things as well.

i expect trip insurance to cover my issues, not the cruiseline's issues. they should have their own insurance for their own issues.

OK  off my soapbox!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The cruise has been cancelled as well cruise afterwards.  They are working with the US State Department and US Navy because they aren’t able to port anywhere.  You can listen to the Captain speak on twitter under @Lorrain34100.  You can also read it thru Gene Sloan @cruiseLog since he retweeted it.  (He once was the cruise travel reporter for USA Today, now with the Points Guy)

1 hour ago, Level six said:

I got a good independent insurance.  Look at your previous ones purchased and see if they cover epidemic. 

Also, some are reporting that cancel for any reason are not paying either.  So, don't assume that you are the only one who has done their homework.

I am sure you are a nice person, but you should read how your posts appear to be condescending.

Why wouldn't a "cancel for any reason" not pay? What kind of reason doesn't come under "any"? 

9 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Why wouldn't a "cancel for any reason" not pay? What kind of reason doesn't come under "any"? 

I don't know.  I didn't have cancel for any reason but a few others on all the boards I have read about this have said that.  Maybe it is not covering epidemics. 

Edited by Level six

Just now, Level six said:

I don't know.  I didn't have cancel for any reason but a few others on all the boards I have read about this have said that.  Maybe it is epidemic. 

Sounds wrong to me--not you, the decision of the insurance company. Any reason should be ANY reason.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't know if this was the case, but most CFAR policies require the traveler to cancel at least two days before scheduled departure.  Perhaps the passenger canceled less that two days before scheduled departure??

25 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Cancel for any reason though the cruise lines usually do not generate a refund, only a future cruise credit to be used within the next year.

Just now, npcl said:

Cancel for any reason though the cruise lines usually do not generate a refund, only a future cruise credit to be used within the next year.

That's one of the reasons I don't buy travel insurance from the cruise line. I don't buy cancel for any reason. My main goal in insuring a trip is to get medical and evacuation. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Viv0828 said:

i guess i expect a cruise line to take responsibility for their passengers (and crew)

if a cruise is cancelled, i expect a refund and if it is short notice, i expect to get compensated for my transportation as well.

if a cruise is substantially changed, i expect to have a choice between cruising or getting a refund.

if a cruise is in an area that becomes dangerous (medically, physically, or whatever), i expect a choice between cruising or getting a refund.

can't think of any thing else at the moment but i am sure there are other things as well.

i expect trip insurance to cover my issues, not the cruiseline's issues. they should have their own insurance for their own issues.

OK  off my soapbox!!

Only if your transportation was purchased through the cruise line.  Refunds are limited to money paid to the cruise line.  Though for cancellations within a couple days of departure they are also including future cruise credits and maybe some airline change fees.

Only if you booked in the UK or EU.  Not from the US. Under the US terms they can pretty make all the changes they want.

Depends upon whose definition of dangerous.  The cruise lines have been canceling cruises or moving them out of those areas identified as being dangerous (usually in line with US CDC and state department warnings) with appropriate travel warnings.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That's one of the reasons I don't buy travel insurance from the cruise line. I don't buy cancel for any reason. My main goal in insuring a trip is to get medical and evacuation. 

I am the same way.  Good medical and evacuation policy and use credit card for trip delay and cancellation.

• Like 1

Washington Post reports:

Feb. 6, 2020 at 9:19 p.m. EST

Another 41 people tested positive for the novel coronavirus on board the quarantined cruise ship Diamond Princess in Japan, bringing the total number of cases on the vessel to 61.

1 hour ago, npcl said:

f a cruise is cancelled, i expect a refund and if it is short notice, i expect to get compensated for my transportation as well.

Only if your transportation was purchased through the cruise line.  Refunds are limited to money paid to the cruise line.  Though for cancellations within a couple days of departure they are also including future cruise credits and maybe some airline change fees.

Only if you booked in the UK or EU.  Not from the US. Under the US terms they can pretty make all the changes they want.

Depends upon whose definition of dangerous.  The cruise lines have been canceling cruises or moving them out of those areas identified as being dangerous (usually in line with US CDC and state department warnings) with appropriate travel warnings.

totally disagree. time for cruiselines to take responsibility for their actions or inactions.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Viv0828 said:

totally disagree. time for cruiselines to take responsibility for their actions or inactions.

What I stated were the practices as they currently exist.  We can wish for all we want, but unlikely that we will see much change from current practice and the rules stated in the documents we all agree with when we book cruises.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, npcl said:

unlikely that we will see much change from current practice and the rules stated in the documents we all agree with when we book cruises.

actually we are seeing some changes in the unfortunate current situation.

our cruise fare was refunded and we were offered an amount for airfare which we declined since our fare was totally refunded by united airlines.

most of the time when the itinerary is substantially changed, the cruise line offers some sort of compensation.

and lastly, not paying enough attention to health warnings, helped get the cruise lines into the pickle they are currently in. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, npcl said:

I don't know what cruise line you are talking about....Holland America's "cancel for any reason" is exactly that....

We have received 90% of our booking within days.....and it has never been used as a future cruise credit.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rowsby said:

I don't know what cruise line you are talking about....Holland America's "cancel for any reason" is exactly that....

We have received 90% of our booking within days.....and it has never been used as a future cruise credit.....

Agree with you 100%. My credit was processed while I sat in my travel agents office. 
People need to check their facts before speaking.

• Like 4

We are leaving next Sunday, the 16th, for a Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale and I just received 3 notices about not traveling if you returned from Asia within the last 14 days or have been in contact with someone who has.  I believe they are getting all their ducks in a row now.  It also says a full refund of any monies paid to HA will be given if any of that appllies.

We are also sailing on Eurodam through the Canal on February 16th - here's the email from HAL:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION: We are closely monitoring the evolving situation with respect to the new coronavirus that originated in mainland China and wish to reassure you that our medical experts are coordinating closely with global health authorities. As a precautionary measure, any guest who has traveled from or through mainland China, Macau, or Hong Kong, or has had contact with a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) within 14 days of the start of this cruise will not be permitted to board the ship. If this applies to you or your client, please contact us at 1-800-577-1729 (North America) or your country's office to provide proof of such travel and we will process a full refund of all amounts paid to Holland America Line for this voyage. Some ports may impose additional requirements for guests to go ashore. In addition, all guests will be subject to pre-boarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in, as well as other precautions. Requirements are subject to change based on the interests of the health and safety of our guests and crew and any other requirements imposed by local authorities.

Sorry if this has been posted before but since I saw mention of medical evacuation insurance, I thought I'd share what we received from MedjetAssist.  If THEY are suspending service to these areas, I would guess ANY company providing similar service including what you get through travel insurance will do the same:

MEDJET SERVICES ALERT

As of 2/5/2020

Dear Medjet Member,

Please be aware that due to restrictions resulting from the Coronavirus, we regret that MedjetAssist and MedjetHorizon services must be suspended in the following countries:

• China

• Hong Kong

• Taiwan

• Macau

New information and increasing flight restrictions continue to be disseminated from the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and the U.S. State Department. Due to this, Medjet services to additional countries may become restricted in the future.

Thank you for your understanding.

More information on the Coronavirus and official updates on areas affected can be found below:

http://go.pardot.com/e/130221/navirus-2019-nCoV-summary-html/35bxsb/660169481?h=7KmnSbc6_TDsxmMAYtLp9cIdBqECQEbweFIbu3XGaWM

If you are currently in a restricted or partially restricted area, the State Department contact for emergency assistance is linked below: 

coronavirusemergencyUSC@state.gov

Continued updates on Medjet services and any additional restrictions are available on our website. Click the link on our homepage, or click here (and be sure to check back frequently).

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, zelker said:

Sorry if this has been posted before but since I saw mention of medical evacuation insurance, I thought I'd share what we received from MedjetAssist.  If THEY are suspending service to these areas, I would guess ANY company providing similar service including what you get through travel insurance will do the same:

MEDJET SERVICES ALERT

As of 2/5/2020

Dear Medjet Member,

Please be aware that due to restrictions resulting from the Coronavirus, we regret that MedjetAssist and MedjetHorizon services must be suspended in the following countries:

• China

• Hong Kong

• Taiwan

• Macau

New information and increasing flight restrictions continue to be disseminated from the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and the U.S. State Department. Due to this, Medjet services to additional countries may become restricted in the future.

Thank you for your understanding.

More information on the Coronavirus and official updates on areas affected can be found below:

http://go.pardot.com/e/130221/navirus-2019-nCoV-summary-html/35bxsb/660169481?h=7KmnSbc6_TDsxmMAYtLp9cIdBqECQEbweFIbu3XGaWM

If you are currently in a restricted or partially restricted area, the State Department contact for emergency assistance is linked below: 

coronavirusemergencyUSC@state.gov

Continued updates on Medjet services and any additional restrictions are available on our website. Click the link on our homepage, or click here (and be sure to check back frequently).

No, this hasn't been posted before. So, if you get sick, even a non-corona illness, there may not be a way to get home.