HAL's Poor Response to Corona Virus

USN59-79

We board the Westerdam on 1 February in Hong Kong; ultimate destination Shanghai on 15 February.  Many ships have cancelled those itineraries, including RCI and Costa.  If you look at the roll call for the 1 February cruise, people are panicking, not knowing whether they should fly to Hong Kong in the next day or two or whether they will be able to fly home from Shanghai two weeks later.  What do we hear from HAL?  Silence.

• Like 2

I was wondering what Seattle is doing about the present Westerdam itinerary - China seems to be "self-quarantining".  We have friends on board, but have not heard from them.

Can you imagine the fun the virus would have on a ship?!

A second case has been confirmed here in Canada - the wife of the first patient.

I would call them and also would call my insurance company.  I think many of us could get a physician's note that we cannot travel to Asia at this time and that may trigger our insurance.  My health issues, though managed in normal circumstances, would not withstand a bad virus.  If you are in the same position I suggest being proactive.

42 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

We board the Westerdam on 1 February in Hong Kong; ultimate destination Shanghai on 15 February.  Many ships have cancelled those itineraries, including RCI and Costa.  If you look at the roll call for the 1 February cruise, people are panicking, not knowing whether they should fly to Hong Kong in the next day or two or whether they will be able to fly home from Shanghai two weeks later.  What do we hear from HAL?  Silence.

what do they say when you call them on the phone?

22 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I was wondering what Seattle is doing about the present Westerdam itinerary - China seems to be "self-quarantining".  We have friends on board, but have not heard from them.

Can you imagine the fun the virus would have on a ship?!

A second case has been confirmed here in Canada - the wife of the first patient.

I was wondering the same thing; I was going to write to you, Ann, but obviously you have not heard from T&M either.

2 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

News is reporting that World Health Organization is having meetings/discussions today.  Possibly HAL is waiting to get their updated announcement.

I would think this has a lot to do with it.  If the WHO declares a medical emergency, which is what is being discussed, then HAL's own insurance would kick in.  If they cancel prior to that declaration they would have to bear all of the costs themselves

33 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I would call them and also would call my insurance company.  I think many of us could get a physician's note that we cannot travel to Asia at this time and that may trigger our insurance.  My health issues, though managed in normal circumstances, would not withstand a bad virus.  If you are in the same position I suggest being proactive.

Excellent suggestion. Even without health issues, passengers should call their insurance company to find out what the company is planning to do about claims related to China travel.

Airlines are waiving change fees for travel changes to Wuhan. So far the State Dept is only saying not to travel to Hubei province, not all of China, but it's worth watching to see if the warning expands. If State says no-go, insurance would have to cover the cancellation. 

I feel sorry for people who did not buy insurance. 

The Costa and RCi cruises which were cancelled were leaving earlier than the HAL cruise of Feb. 1.  

I would expect there to be an announcement after WHO has had their meeting today.

Along with health concerns and doctor visits, another avenue for travel insurance is if there are warning issued.  If the warning is severe enough, you are covered under your travel insurance.

This is a good time for everyone to really review their travel insurance policies.

LIke Vict0riann, I’m concerned about those onboard right now.  With China closing so many places and tourist attractions, the Westerdam, it’s crew and passengers are facing a number of challenges.  I hope they are all safe.

• Like 1

we have some insurance on our credit card that will probably cover part of our costs when we cancel. we too are waiting to see what hal is going to do.

we have medical and evacuation insurance but no trip cancellation insurance. had we bought cancellation insurance for all our cruises, we would have spent more than possibly eating the cost of this cruise.

to each their own. 

• Like 3

Looking at February prices on the Westerdam in Asia and you can get a balcony for as low as $56 a night.

This can't be good for HAL's bottom line.  

(Now would be a good time for a dry dock but what else could they do on such short notice....shift to Australia?)

26 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Looking at February prices on the Westerdam in Asia and you can get a balcony for as low as $56 a night.

(Now would be a good time for a dry dock but what else could they do on such short notice....shift to Australia?)

Westerdam just completed a dry dock. 

That pricing has been in effect for a couple of weeks and it is good.  I wonder if HAL has any takers now that everything is going south?

2 hours ago, bleacher04 said:

I was wondering the same thing; I was going to write to you, Ann, but obviously you have not heard from T&M either.

I don’t think Tony gets on email except for emergencies, but Martha has her iPad and I think she sometimes goes on Facebook when they are in a port.  I don’t use that site.   The news this morning said the Forbidden City and summer palace are closed, so much for touring in Beijing! 

Seattle must be running around furiously trying to make changes.

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I don’t think Tony gets on email except for emergencies, but Martha has her iPad and I think she sometimes goes on Facebook when they are in a port.  I don’t use that site.   The news this morning said the Forbidden City and summer palace are closed, so much for touring in Beijing! 

Seattle must be running around furiously trying to make changes.

I know Tony doesn’t usually get internet.  I do use FB, so I have messaged Martha to see how they are making out.  If she answers me, I’ll certainly let you and Paul know.

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

I know Tony doesn’t usually get internet.  I do use FB, so I have messaged Martha to see how they are making out.  If she answers me, I’ll certainly let you and Paul know.

Thank you.  I imagine, too, that Tony will be emailing his tour guides so he may have to get on line!

I know we had put down a deposit on this particular cruise last summer, then backed out and switched it for a mideast cruise on NCL.   I was not too sure about the switch then... But am smiling now!  (We leave for Rome on the 4th.)   Of course having said THAT, in a weeks time this thing could blow up everywhere, so who knows?????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, perditax said:

what do they say when you call them on the phone?

GOOd question 

IF  HAL has made no   changes, why would they initate such a conversation?  Silence well  could mean,  guest , we are going,,, join us if you wish.  If you don't  wish, sorry.       Maybe that is   the meaning of the silence?   Maybe?

HAve you called  them   ?

What did a phone rep tell you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

One may not be wrong to guess they have  insurance to cover su ch   events/ circumstances?

What do you think, maybe?

Edited by sail7seas

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Who is Tony?

I just heard U.S. State Department  has issued a  travel   advisory  but not (yet) a ban.

There is zip, zero   No   chance I would consider flying to Hong Kong right now

NOt worth taking that sort of risk.  IMO

5 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Who is Tony?

Tony is Sailingdutchy, a number of us have sailed with him and his wife.  They are on Westerdam now, for, I think, at least 3 segments, maybe 4, in the Far East.  Confusion must reign on that ship!