Ocean view deck 4 or 6?

Werangels

3 hours ago, Werangels said:

Wow!  I feel a little churlish now debating over my far smaller amount!

You shouldn't feel that way at all.  I am amazed myself when I see those numbers. I'm paying about $333 per day an entire cruise on the Reflection for an 11-day cruise in Aqua Class this November and that same amount only represents the difference between an Oceanview and a Veranda (V3)  on Azamara's Japan cruises.  I love the balcony cruises and I admit that I got hooked on them on the mass market lines, but I also understand the value of a dollar.  I certainly don't begrudge those who want to spend that money for the veranda though.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brindlebury said:

Great topic, thank you.

What about the non-obstructed ocean views 6004 and 6005?  Has anyone recently stayed in them? They appear on the deck plans to be quite large.

Yes, they are great. There are 4 the same, two on 6 and two on 7.  The window is round, but very large. They are huge cabins. The space that is the veranda in the next door cabin is incorporated into the cabin. We had one on our last cruise and now have them booked for our next two.

57 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Yes, they are great. There are 4 the same, two on 6 and two on 7.  The window is round, but very large. They are huge cabins. The space that is the veranda in the next door cabin is incorporated into the cabin. We had one on our last cruise and now have them booked for our next two.

Thank you so much for this.  

Because there are only 4 of them, it seems difficult to find any actual information, so this is very helpful, especially the size of the window. I normally would take a balcony, but will be traveling solo on the cruise(s) I'm contemplating - and with a very high single supplement, the oceanview is my only option this time.

50 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

We have had one of these larger OV's (6004)  as well but we did find them very noisy so have reverted to a midship OV on deck 4 for our June cruises.

Yes, I worried a bit about this.  But the added interior square footage seems a plus.

It appears that 6004 has a connecting door to 6002. Could you hear the occupants next door?   

I think if you are solo the benefits of extra space may be wasted.  Everything is just a bit more spread out but the furniture etc is just the same.  Anchor chain and thrusters often very noisy but I dont recall any noise from the suite next door.  

They are also more expensive than the other OV.s.

• Like 1

I have also had one of these cabins. Think ours was 6005 or it could have been 7005, can’t quite remember...we were with a group of friends including Mrs Miggins and several of us booked them. They are most definitely significantly bigger than other OV cabins as they incorporate the veranda space into the cabin. However....would I trade that increased space for the noise levels from the anchor chain and bow thrusters? No, I wouldn’t if I were travelling solo! There is plenty of space for one person in an ordinary OV cabin. If there were two people I might consider it if you don’t mind being woken up very early, especially when tendering. 

There was no noise at all from the suite next door...but maybe that was because our friends were in it and they are quiet considerate people! 😄

Edited by Lottie A

7 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

You shouldn't feel that way at all.  I am amazed myself when I see those numbers. I'm paying about $333 per day an entire cruise on the Reflection for an 11-day cruise in Aqua Class this November and that same amount only represents the difference between an Oceanview and a Veranda (V3)  on Azamara's Japan cruises.  I love the balcony cruises and I admit that I got hooked on them on the mass market lines, but I also understand the value of a dollar.  I certainly don't begrudge those who want to spend that money for the veranda though.  

I think when we retire and are not restricted to ‘x’ numbers of days holidays per year, more cruises and less balconies will be the way forward 😉

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Werangels said:

I think when we retire and are not restricted to ‘x’ numbers of days holidays per year, more cruises and less balconies will be the way forward 😉

I think we're more likely to M class on Celebrity because they do some nice itineraries and do them for less.  I am six years away from formal retirement today.  The M class ships and R class ships will be 25 years old, and hopefully, still sea worthy.  If we do Azamara, it will definitely be in the Oceanviews.  I also hope to be in Florida and out of the cold of Massachusetts too. 😎

• Like 1

i was in 6036 for a 10 day cruise and actually enjoyed it. It is situated between lifeboats so there is plenty of light and was great for one person. Not sure it would be that great for two people, although the use of space is very good. I saved over $2,500 compared to a balcony so it was definitely worth it.

I am in a veranda in May, and it is only costing me about $320 per day for a V2 balcony, (single occupancy) including an excellent deal for singles. I think double occupancy would be only about $250 per night pp. It even worked out cheaper than a RCCL Baltic cruise at the same time, plus consider the difference between sailing on RCCL and Azamara...priceless..

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 8:12 PM, Werangels said:

We used to cruise exclusively in balcony cabins, but now we decide on a cruise by cruise basis.  The veranda cabins on our Norway cruise in July are £2200 PER PERSON more than the OV 😳 .... it’s simply not worth that much more to us. 

Hoping to bid for an upgrade though 😉

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 6:21 PM, hubofhockey said:

I have 4003 for a cruise. What is wrong with these low number cabins?  I figured they would be isolated from noise other than when anchor dropped, but that's not a big deal.  Also, how much bigger are the picture windows compared to portholes?  Is there a big difference?  Oh, we had a suite on our first Azamara cruise, but prices on this one prevent me from even booking a veranda.  Hoping to bid on an upgrade, but who knows if that will even be available.

We had 4005 on our first Azamara cruise and hated it.  Lots of movement, all the docking and anchor noise, and hearing the show every night in our cabin.  Never, ever again!

51 minutes ago, hiccups said:

We had 4005 on our first Azamara cruise and hated it.  Lots of movement, all the docking and anchor noise, and hearing the show every night in our cabin.  Never, ever again!

I'm moving it tomorrow.  Somewhere from 4045 to 4051.