Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

49 minutes ago, phil the brit said:

Don't be silly, it is a fundamental necessity for SOMEONE to be on hand to translate conversations. Heck, you could at last resort get a phone translator very easily. There has to be a way to communicate between patient and doctor!

Providing translation services is mandatory in all US hospitals.  The translator must be certified in medical translation (Read “not a family member“). This is usually done through use of what we refer to as “a language line” and this paid service in one of costs embedded in the cost of healthcare in the US (ie no patient is billed when this service is needed, but it is absorbed in the overhead costs of the hospital/provider).

• Like 2

Handing out cellphones is smart (and kind) because obviously Verizon, etc. are not going to work very well on a cell phone network in Japan, and of course the charging cables from N different countries are not all likely to work in Japan either.  Much better than fiddiling around with power adaptors, SIM cards and trying to unlock phones.   

56 minutes ago, phil the brit said:

Don't be silly, it is a fundamental necessity for SOMEONE to be on hand to translate conversations. Heck, you could at last resort get a phone translator very easily. There has to be a way to communicate between patient and doctor!

I agree with you that a translator, ideally a live one, would be ideal if the healthcare provide cannot speak the language the patient does not understand.  Believe me, I am a healthcare provider myself and consider that crucially important.  And as far as I know, younger doctors working in large cities in Japan are most likely to be decent in English.  Are they as good as native English speakers...definitely not.  Should you demand that they should be all completely "language barrier free?"  NO.   I was more offended by someone making a statement that a speculative language barrier as "unacceptable," as an implicit criticism of those healthcare workers who are working hard during this epidemic, some of them with less English skills than others.

11 minutes ago, fragilek said:

I have also read on twitter that a passenger on board swapped  one of their ready meal noddle things for a bottle of wine with a different cabin (FIL's cabin, I have asked how they managed this but they haven't responded).  They put up pictures of their gained wine.  -( no idea how to now post this after the link reminder post). That sort of thing gives me an unease about how strict the quarantine aspects on the ship are.  I  understand that some will argue they sailed together before the lock down so what is the difference now- however, to me there is not only a risk here for themselves but more importantly potentially in the longer term for others.   

Agree. This quarrantine supposedly to protect japan/world, is so imperfect that at the end of 14 days, there would be more risk to japan/world because of now much increased silent ticking bombs (people with virus contracted during this imprefect quarrantine but not showing symptoms yet)

17 minutes ago, Wizpharm2 said:

Providing translation services is mandatory in all US hospitals.  The translator must be certified in medical translation (Read “not a family member“). This is usually done through use of what we refer to as “a language line” and this paid service in one of costs embedded in the cost of healthcare in the US (ie no patient is billed when this service is needed, but it is absorbed in the overhead costs of the hospital/provider).

Hello neighbor!  I agree that we all should provide language translation service to our patients.  I'm a healthcare provider, and I always make the best effort to find a live, in-person translator (instead of a family member) when seeing a patient who do not speak English or Japanese.   I am not sure it is "mandatory," though it should be universal, which has not been the case in my experience.  And the telephone based translation has a lot to be desired.  In my experience, I have had multiple instances of the telephone based translation going very badly.

Actually, there is a company in Indy that provides live translator service to for a huge variety of languages.  I have had a great experience with them.

But that's beside the point.  I am saying that calling the possible/imaginary "language" barrier as "unacceptable," the person who posted it is making a somewhat unsubstantiated claim that somehow there is a language barrier that is compromising care to those in quarantine.  And criticizing those (mainly) volunteers who are putting themselves at risk, most of them not native English speakers, regarding their English skills is unacceptable.

Edited by Psoque
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Maverick61 said:

Don't count on it.

Unless the quarantine on the ship is extended until there are at least a full 14 days of no new cases presenting, Japan would be negligent to let them loose in their country without some additional quarantine period off the ship.

And if Japan lets them off without that additional quarantine period to go to a flight home, there probably is a strong likelihood of a quarantine period in their home country when they land 

EXACTLY

Since qurrantine is imperfect, if Japan allows people off the ship into general population just because there no symptoms then this whole exercise will amount to nothing except creating more time bombs

Situation on ship is very different from those on US military basis

a) Military bases had no presence of virus before quarrantine started. Ship had.

b) Food is prepared and delivered by people who are potential carriers with much higher probability on ship

• Like 1

I also thought it unwise to exchange food/drinks with neighbors because you don’t know who could be infected! I remember in a video days ago, a person above David handed him a banana. You couldn’t pay me to accept food or drinks from another passenger onboard right now. I wish they’d make an announcement to warn against doing that. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Imagine the uproar if the Japanese government had taken just their own citizens off the ship and left everyone else.

Agree. From PR point of view it would not have looked good.

But would have been much more pragmatic approach:

a) Those 1000 represent significant portion of the ship pax count

b) They wud not have whined about room size or bento box or connectivity or language barrier

c) Cud have allowed other countries to do an extremely protected evacuation of their citizens if they chose to do so (US and Aus might have)

With about 1500 people off the ship, even crew cud have been given isolation rooms and this quarrantine wud have amounted to something.

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, fragilek said:

I have also read on twitter that a passenger on board swapped  one of their ready meal noddle things for a bottle of wine with a different cabin (FIL's cabin, I have asked how they managed this but they haven't responded).  They put up pictures of their gained wine.  -( no idea how to now post this after the link reminder post). That sort of thing gives me an unease about how strict the quarantine aspects on the ship are.  I  understand that some will argue they sailed together before the lock down so what is the difference now- however, to me there is not only a risk here for themselves but more importantly potentially in the longer term for others.   

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I also thought it unwise to exchange food/drinks with neighbors because you don’t know who could be infected! I remember in a video days ago, a person above David handed him a banana. You couldn’t pay me to accept food or drinks from another passenger onboard right now. I wish they’d make an announcement to warn against doing that. 

I haven't been following his stuff did nobody comment to him on line that this was very unwise. 

As someone who has both worked in pharmaceutical world of research ( yip I know, more contamination prevention than quarantine, but some of the same measures are used)  also as someone also had to experience full isolation (which I suppose is a  little bit different to quarantine but not that much and again follows similar protocols), a lot of what I am seeing and reading about (1st hand stuff not hear-say) would not support the position that ALL these people  have been in complete  quarantine from each other. 

5 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Hello neighbor!  I agree that we all should provide language translation service to our patients.  I'm a healthcare provider, and I always make the best effort to find a live, in-person translator (instead of a family member) when seeing a patient who do not speak English or Japanese.   I am not sure it is "mandatory," though it should be universal, which has not been the case in my experience.  And the telephone based translation has a lot to be desired.  In my experience, I have had multiple instances of the telephone based translation going very badly.

Actually, there is a company in Indy that provides live translator service to for a huge variety of languages.  I have had a great experience with them.

But that's beside the point.  I am saying that calling the possible/imaginary "language" barrier as "unacceptable," the person who posted it is making a somewhat unsubstantiated claim that somehow there is a language barrier that is compromising care to those in quarantine.  And criticizing those (mainly) volunteers who are putting themselves at risk, most of them not native English speakers, regarding their English skills is unacceptable.

I agree with issues related to phone based translations...based on personal experience.  I also agree with your statements regarding care being provided to DP patients and the need to understand the strain this situation is placing on all healthcare providers and not only the patients.

As for being mandatory in US, it is part of the CMS participation requirements.  I’ve consulted for more than one hospital that has been cited for failure to provide.

Hopefully, it will get a little warmer here in Central Indiana in the next few days!

19 hours ago, brisalta said:

It is a matter of containment. Just think of what would happen if just a few passengers were still in the incubation stage and showed no signs but were allowed to travel home. How many people would they infect on the way?

Totally agree.

But one has to see beyond feb 19.

what happens then?

Are rest of Japan/World more at risk than they were on Feb 5 from DP pax/crew?

Edited by hal2008

1 hour ago, hal2008 said:

With about 1500 people off the ship, even crew cud have been given isolation rooms and this quarrantine wud have amounted to something.

So Japanese, US, & Aussies can quarantine off ship. I know Japanese and US can and are taking them off on priority basis (high risk 1st). Is Australia also taking / quarantining third? Israel was told 'no' but that may change 

Maybe us 'regulars' have nothing significant to add 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Just wanted to make a quick post about the copyright guidelines on here as so many are posting from articles.  I know I always have to refresh myself on the guidelines, if it's not in front of me, I forget.  As I just turned 58 this month, things are getting worse, old age LOL!!

The guideline is copy paste with a link.  No full cut and paste please .   A Press release from Princess is an exception.

There is a link to the guidelines at the top of the page if anyone has any questions or is interested in reading about any other guidelines. 

Thanks everyone and Happy Valentine's Day!

The problem with this is that in a short number of articles we reach a paywall, and need to subscribe to see the latest news.  Inconvenient to subscribe to multiple news sites.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cinlo said:

The problem with this is that in a short number of articles we reach a paywall, and need to subscribe to see the latest news.  Inconvenient to subscribe to multiple news sites.

Yes, that is extremely unfortunate.  

As I have family living in Hong Kong and Singapore, I hit the wall with the Japanese news sites a while ago. 

• Like 1

Princess Cruises in a public relations release stated that the company's internal on-board air filtration systems meet standards of the hotel and hospitality industry, but did not refer to any ISO standards nor to industry association standards. I would like to know what the standards' specifications are. Remember, this is the industry that brought us Legionnaires Disease.  In no way is this comment meant to criticize Princess Cruises handling of the Corona virus situation.

34 minutes ago, cinlo said:

Hence the concept of copyright.  The news providers are a business, if you want their product you need to pay for it.  Posting someone’s content so others can use it for free is theft. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TravlingGato said:

Princess Cruises in a public relations release stated that the company's internal on-board air filtration systems meet standards of the hotel and hospitality industry, but did not refer to any ISO standards nor to industry association standards. I would like to know what the standards' specifications are. Remember, this is the industry that brought us Legionnaires Disease.  In no way is this comment meant to criticize Princess Cruises handling of the Corona virus situation.

It was the HVAC industry that brought Legionnaires Disease with badly designed systems for buildings.

• Like 3