favorite Alaska souvineer

VermeulT

I have more than enough "stuff" in my house - but I'd like to bring back something special and unique from my cruise that starts in Vancouver.  Also stopping in Ketchikan, Haines, ISP, Anchorage, Homer, Valdez and Juneau.

What is something that you've bought for yourself or a gift that you were happy with?

9 hours ago, VermeulT said:

I have more than enough "stuff" in my house - but I'd like to bring back something special and unique from my cruise that starts in Vancouver.  Also stopping in Ketchikan, Haines, ISP, Anchorage, Homer, Valdez and Juneau.

What is something that you've bought for yourself or a gift that you were happy with?

Our very first cruise was to Alaska in '97 and we had next to nothing as far as spending money went.  I came home with three things:  a set of potholders, two white birch wooden salad bowls and a stuffed toy (a jackabou).  I still use the first two items daily and the toy went to the GD.  I wonder what I will bring back this time...

Edited by Spikesgirl
I'm a lousy speller
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hawk1972 said:

Ulus are good. Make good gifts. My favorites are a small totem pole from Ketchikan and a cycling jersey from Sitka.

I got an Ulu for my husband on my last trip.  He is a cooking enthusiast and appreciates it.

What was special about the Cycling Jersey in Sikta?

35 minutes ago, VermeulT said:

I got an Ulu for my husband on my last trip.  He is a cooking enthusiast and appreciates it.

What was special about the Cycling Jersey in Sikta?

Just that it had an Alaska theme. We had rented bikes there and ridden around the city. Bought it at the shop where we got the bikes. It will always remind me of that trip.

Over the years my wife collected so many things sometimes it becomes a blur of when/where, the one thing, a timeless picture is sometimes the most timeless; got many on a picture frame, my computer and of course my iPhone too, those memories are with you and always there.

• Like 2

If you're looking for something useful, I agree that an ulu knife is a good bet.  Plus it's pretty.  And if you get an authentic one, it's locally made.  Anchorage might be your best bet for that.  I don't have a food processor and recently wanted to finely cut up a bunch of almonds.  I'm glad I had an ulu.  

On 2/7/2020 at 8:44 PM, VermeulT said:

Hand painted silk scarf in Juneau. Shop near port,  kind of across from Red Dog Saloon. It looked like a baby clothing place. Zipper pulls from Wm Spear shop upstairs few doors behind RedDog, they have a web site. Taku Smoked Salmon on the dock, great recipe on the box. All in Juneau.  I buy each on every visit to Juneau. 

I have zero interest in that knife, I prefer a good chefs knife.

When we were in Alaska we wanted to make sure that everything we purchased was locally or native made.  When looking at Ulu's we found many made that weren't made in Alaska but did find a few sets that we were able to purchase that we really enjoy as well as provide some as gifts.  

Outside of our Ulu's we bought a hand carved bear in each port we went to.  The carvings are done in a variety of styles and product - different stones, antler, etc.  

• Like 1

Ulu knife and bowl set from the Ulu Factory.  Very useful in the kitchen.  Be sure to get the set and if you go to the Ulu Factory in Anchorage you will be able to see a demo which will help you decide which size would be best for you.  If you don’t get to Anchorage you can buy one made by the Ulu Factory in any port.

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1

Dichroic glass (jewelry) is kind of a regional specialty. Also fidget stones of magnetic hematite (looks like magnetite -- glossy gray-black). I think I bought a Chinese Ulu (!) but am going to bite the bullet and get an Alaska-made one this next trip!

There are often local artists' work for sale, either the actual piece or prints, including note cards or other stationery items.

Mostly memories.   It's been 8 years since I was last there (going again this summer).   Strong memories are still in my head from the glaciers, the port visits, midnight sun on June 20th at Denali.   I do have a scarf from my last visit that I still use.  I still buy Raven's Brew coffee that I discovered and loved in Juneau.

On our very first trip to Alaska we did gold panning just outside Fairbanks. It was fun. When we were done my husband pressured me to buy the locket with "our" gold flakes inside. I did but wasn't sure it would get much use. 

This has turned out to be my favorite piece of jewelry. I wear it all the time.

We went to the same gold panning years later with friends. I took the new gold flakes and had them added to my existing necklace. I now have over $100 worth of gold flakes in my locket.

I now tend to look for unusual jewelry as I know I will enjoy that more than a dust catcher.

• Like 4

We packed ours home in a checked bag. Assume it would have been disallowed in carryon! ETA: no problem bringing it on the ship, which is scanned similar to an airport.

I looked and our not-expensive Ulu was made by the Ulu Factory i.e. Alaskan made.  Yay. Still thinking of a fancy one with an antler handle!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I buy my souvenirs at the native handicrafts store at the Anchorage Native Medical Center - https://anmc.org/patients-visitors/craft-shop/.  It supports the hospital, the stuff is beautiful and fairly priced and you know that all of their stuff is hand made by indigenous peoples.

Just be aware of their limited hours.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:44 PM, VermeulT said:

I have more than enough "stuff" in my house - but I'd like to bring back something special and unique from my cruise that starts in Vancouver. 

If it's unique you seek, an Oosik is a great conversation piece.