NCL refuses me to board, question about refund in similar situation

phire

57 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

Actually, any citizen of the USA can travel to North Korea with the approval of the US State Department. I know someone who made the trip about a year ago.

Just like that, huh? I think the North Korean government might actually be the one making admission decisions...maybe?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

A bit like Times Square then!

No....Times Square is like a desert compared to Chinatown.  And the streets are much more narrow.  I probably have more chances of contact with people recently in China (and all kinds of germs) due to "holding the poles" on the subway than the OP and others holding Chinese passports that don't live in densely populated areas.

I apologize if I seemed offensive....it wasn't meant to be.  There is no racial discrimination.  It's "geographic" discrimination and if a Caucasian holds a Chinese etc passport he wouldn't be allowed to board either. 

10 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Just like that, huh? I think the North Korean government might actually be the one making admission decisions...maybe?

No not just like that. According to State Dept. website "Individuals cannot use a U.S. passport travel to, in or through North Korea without a special validation from the Dept of State." 

After that a visa must be obtained in a country that has a North Korean embassy. So it is not easy but it can be done.

23 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

No not just like that. According to State Dept. website "Individuals cannot use a U.S. passport travel to, in or through North Korea without a special validation from the Dept of State." 

After that a visa must be obtained in a country that has a North Korean embassy. So it is not easy but it can be done.

Right...as I pointed out...it isn't just as easy as your first post tried to make it seem. Doesn't really matter what the Dept of State says...North Korea makes the decision (IOW, if North Korea says "no"...you don't get in...no matter what the Dept of State says).

15 hours ago, Love my butler said:

The greater good (health) of the public trumps your 'right' to cruise.  I applaud NCL for taking a hard line and trying to prevent the coronovirus spreading on their cruise ships.

This is a horrible example of discrimination and IMO, anyone who supports it should be ashamed of themselves. 

The OP is being denied a cruise that they paid for due to their nationality. Not based on any factors that actually have to do with them, their recent travel history, their family connections; just saying because you were born in China, even though you don't live there anymore, and haven't been there recently, and may not actually know anyone that still lives there... you can't take you cruise is pure and simple discrimination.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

This is a horrible example of discrimination and IMO, anyone who supports it should be ashamed of themselves. 

The OP is being denied a cruise that they paid for due to their nationality. Not based on any factors that actually have to do with them, their recent travel history, their family connections; just saying because you were born in China, even though you don't live there anymore, and haven't been there recently, and may not actually know anyone that still lives there... you can't take you cruise is pure and simple discrimination.

It is not due to the OP's nationality it is due to the fact that they have a passport from China.  I carry a US passport but if I had been to China in the past month they would deny my boarding,Nothing to do with discrimination.  The cruiseline is looking out for all passengers and their health.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TSUmom said:

It is not due to the OP's nationality it is due to the fact that they have a passport from China.  I carry a US passport but if I had been to China in the past month they would deny my boarding,Nothing to do with discrimination.  The cruiseline is looking out for all passengers and their health.  

Yes, but that travel history is what makes those examples different. Both of you would be denied if you had been to China, which is sensible since the epicenter of this disease is in China. But like you, the OP hasn't been to china so it's irrelevant. She simply was born there, everything to do with nationality.

Just now, sanger727 said:

Yes, but that travel history is what makes those examples different. Both of you would be denied if you had been to China, which is sensible since the epicenter of this disease is in China. But like you, the OP hasn't been to china so it's irrelevant. She simply was born there, everything to do with nationality.

What it boils down to is the fact that the cruise lines are trying to keep this disease from spreading.  I do feel for the OP but also think maybe if they had a passport for the country they are residing in, this case Canada, then they should have a passport for that country.  I know, I already read the reasons why they don't have one but if you want to travel, or plan to travel to or from the country you reside in then why not take the time and $$ to get one.

43 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

What it boils down to is the fact that the cruise lines are trying to keep this disease from spreading.  I do feel for the OP but also think maybe if they had a passport for the country they are residing in, this case Canada, then they should have a passport for that country.  I know, I already read the reasons why they don't have one but if you want to travel, or plan to travel to or from the country you reside in then why not take the time and $$ to get one.

They are, but this reaction is based in fear and has very little do with stopping the spread of disease. Under the guise that a chinese citizen is more likely to have contact with chinese people, they could deny me boarding if i ate at a chinese restaurant last night or if my address is in a "china town" within my city. It's fearmongering mixed with a little xenophobia and not an appropriate response for a company based in the US. 

As far as her passport holder status. i think many people reside in a county when they are a citizen of another. I know there are many green card holders and permanent residents in the US that are not citizens. As long as they reside/work in the country they live in legally I really don't see why it should matter to you or anyone else whether or not they change their citizenship. Maybe she is very proud of her chinese heritage and has considered returning one day and doesn't want to burn that bridge. Whatever it is, it's her choice and entirely unrelated to her ability to travel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeaShark said:

What are you babbling about? A US Citizen has no need for, nor would have, a green card. A Green Card indicates permanent resident status...not citizenship.

Hence the reason I wrote 'US Citizen' with a green card, fully understanding the permanent resident vs citizenship status. This was directly in response to your comment that 'if someone is a "Canadian Citizen" they should be in possession of a "Canadian Passport" ...

If you are going to continue with your high handed attitude, noticed by many who responded to you, then you are gonna have to be smart...and consistent! 😉

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Absolutely on the button, well said.

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

You should be ashamed of your opinion.  I stick by my post that public health overrides your 'right' to cruise.  Period.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

I just read that Royal Caribbean has reversed the same policy.  Has OP been notified of a reversal by NCL?

Hi, thanks for the notice. I personally would feel humiliated if they refused me by holding a passport, and then lift the ban telling me "yes you can sail now and you cannot choose a refund". I was involved in the roll call count-down, facebook group, and then everyone knew I left the group because I am denied by my passport, and now I am coming back????lol. 

NCL guest relations replied to me through email that my reservation has been cancelled, and I will receive a refund. They did not indicate how much is the refund or I could get any compensation on top of the cruise fare. This department does not have a phone number.

I read other posts that they will receive $300 per person for flight change, I hope that could happen to me. I prefer not to have a vacation now. 

4 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

You should be ashamed of your opinion.  I stick by my post that public health overrides your 'right' to cruise.  Period.

I just hear that NCL is going to lift the ban on their Chinese crew members. hope you will respect them when you see them on board. 

4 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

The opinion of the poster you refer to, and your opinion, are not mutually exclusive.....both opinions can sit comfortably at 'the same table'! 😉

16 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Hence the reason I wrote 'US Citizen' with a green card, fully understanding the permanent resident vs citizenship status. This was directly in response to your comment that 'if someone is a "Canadian Citizen" they should be in possession of a "Canadian Passport" ...

If you are going to continue with your high handed attitude, noticed by many who responded to you, then you are gonna have to be smart...and consistent! 😉

Again...what are you babbling about? I said nothing about a green card...the two statements are totally unrelated. A Canadian Citizen should have a Canadian Passport, a US Citizen should have a US Passport, etc... nothing to do with green cards.

Card4.jpg.707820cfdf6d3c1fdc56006135675cdd.jpg

4 minutes ago, phire said:

Hi, thanks for the notice. I personally would feel humiliated if they refused me by holding a passport, and then lift the ban telling me "yes you can sail now and you cannot choose a refund". I was involved in the roll call count-down, facebook group, and then everyone knew I left the group because I am denied by my passport, and now I am coming back????lol. 

NCL guest relations replied to me through email that my reservation has been cancelled, and I will receive a refund. They did not indicate how much is the refund or I could get any compensation on top of the cruise fare. This department does not have a phone number.

I read other posts that they will receive $300 per person for flight change, I hope that could happen to me. I prefer not to have a vacation now. 

I am really sorry this happened to you.  It was wrong.  Hope you are able to get a full refund, and find another vacation opportunity in the near future.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phire said:

I just hear that NCL is going to lift the ban on their Chinese crew members. hope you will respect them when you see them on board. 

Haha, I actually have some Chinese crew as good friends.  One young lady is going home soon and is very concerned because she lives very near Wuhan and is not sure if/when she will be able to get back on any NCL ship.  Your inference that I have some animosity or hatred for Chinese people is reprehensible.  You should be ashamed.

7 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Again...what are you babbling about? I said nothing about a green card...

Who said you did, certainly not me! When I encouraged you to be consistent, that was to be consistently smart...as opposed to consistently (on reflection I'm not gonna write it, my post would be removed)....but others will know roughly what I really wanted to write!😉

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

I think the part I found odd in their policy (at last as it was yesterday via their Message Centre) was that anyone with a Chinese passport would be denied boarding regardless of the country of residency.  EXCEPT, if the individual was a resident (non-citizen) of the U.S., AND held a green card, AND sailing from and ending at a U.S. port.  Then they could sail:

22051177_ScreenShot2020-02-11at1_21_45PM.thumb.png.575dba06b5f1638750262896bc0229a6.png

So, it doesn't seem particularly fair to me that someone like the OP who has a Chinese passport and is resident in Canada, and will be departing and returning to a U.S. port is banned from travel, but a resident in the U.S. (with a green card) who has a Chinese passport can travel.   

It's NCL's prerogative to institute whatever policy they want, but I can't say I understand how if you have a Chinese passport the scarlet letter is suddenly removed because you are U.S. resident with a green card?  Huh?

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 7:58 AM, FLConnie said:

It seems to me they should be able to verify you have NOT been in China by the lack of current stamps on your passport.  I know that doesn't address the issue, but I would think there are many in your situation.  

I have travel out of the country 22 times using a passport. My passport was stamped only once.

48 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

I think the part I found odd in their policy (at last as it was yesterday via their Message Centre) was that anyone with a Chinese passport would be denied boarding regardless of the country of residency.  EXCEPT, if the individual was a resident (non-citizen) of the U.S., AND held a green card, AND sailing from and ending at a U.S. port.  Then they could sail:

22051177_ScreenShot2020-02-11at1_21_45PM.thumb.png.575dba06b5f1638750262896bc0229a6.png

So, it doesn't seem particularly fair to me that someone like the OP who has a Chinese passport and is resident in Canada, and will be departing and returning to a U.S. port is banned from travel, but a resident in the U.S. (with a green card) who has a Chinese passport can travel.   

It's NCL's prerogative to institute whatever policy they want, but I can't say I understand how if you have a Chinese passport the scarlet letter is suddenly removed because you are U.S. resident with a green card?  Huh?

Exactly, it's discriminatory at best and designed to protect USA residents only.....actually that makes the policy racist IMHO!