NCL refuses me to board, question about refund in similar situation

phire

33 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Royal Caribbean just updated to say anyone with China, Hong Kong or Macao will not be refused boarding but must pass a screening.  Those who were in any of those places the previous 14 days still denied.

Thanks, although I really prefer a refund instead of letting me go on now.

This is posted on the NCL website. Some countries are not letting Chinese passport holder to disembark. A recent cruise ship was denied by 3 countries to port, it is more than a NCL policy at this point. You might be able to do a claim through your travel insurance company for the flights. 

• Singapore and the Philippines are not currently allowing Chinese nationals to disembark at their ports. Guests with a Chinese passport who are traveling on voyages that disembark in one of these regions will not be allowed on board our ships. If additional port restrictions are put into place we may have to modify this policy as needed.
    • Guests who are denied boarding due to this will be issued a refund.

https://www.ncl.com/travel-alert/coronavirus

3 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Might not matter.  If your passport will be OK, then why would they give you a refund just because NCL depresses you?

because they told me I will be denied and submit cancellation claim, I did and made other plans? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Love my butler said:

The greater good (health) of the public trumps your 'right' to cruise.  I applaud NCL for taking a hard line and trying to prevent the coronovirus spreading on their cruise ships.

I agree.  Although I think it is unfortunate I do believe NCL and other lines are trying to do what is best to keep everyone safe. 

• Like 2

I just heard on the eleven o'clock news that Royal Caribbean lifted their ban on not allowing passengers that hold a passport from China to board their ships. All allowed to board as long as they have not traveled to China recently. Hopefully NCL will lift their ban and it's not to late for you to travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, phire said:

Thanks, although I really prefer a refund instead of letting me go on now.

Don't let a crap-tastic policy ruin your plans...you know where you reside and where you have been/who you have been in contact with.  If you do get to go (and choose to go) I am sure you will have a great time.  If not, well.  You will make the right choice for you.  I am so sorry you have to go through this.  What an awful waste of time and stress for something that is supposed to be fun.  😞

• Like 2

11 hours ago, April42749 said:

You may feel discriminated against....but how does anyone know if you had recent visitors from China?  And if you said you didn't, how could you confirm this?

How does anyone know if anyone has had contact with visitors from China? I guess those in fear should just stay in their homes and have their necessities delivered by amazon.

I enjoy cruising but if I were a germaphobe it would be the last vacation I would chose. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, April42749 said:

You may feel discriminated against....but how does anyone know if you had recent visitors from China?  And if you said you didn't, how could you confirm this?

But that would be the same for any Canadian Citizen, how would anyone know who had visited anyone and what Nationality they were and how could any of that be confirmed or otherwise....this is racism, and it's not pretty!

Edited by hamrag

11 hours ago, April42749 said:

You are absolutely correct.

We have a large Chinatown in NYC...it's very densely populated and you can't walk in the street without bumping into people....

A bit like Times Square then!

10 hours ago, phire said:

How would you confirm you do not work with Asian? It's ridiculous. So all my Caucasian coworkers should be penalized.?

I don't believe anyone is suggesting that but some (me included) are questioning why the OP is being racially discriminated against by NCL.

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

But that would be the same for any Canadian Citizen, how would anyone know who had visited anyone and what Nationality they were and how could any of that be confirmed or otherwise....this is racism, and it's not pretty!

I don't disagree with your point, but if someone is a "Canadian Citizen" they should be in possession of a "Canadian Passport" in which case, this thread would not exist.

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

I don't believe anyone is suggesting that but some (me included) are questioning why the OP is being racially discriminated against by NCL.

The OP is being racially discriminated against? I know you are more reasonable than that...it has nothing to do with race. Anyone, of any race, gender, nationality, etc is denied boarding based on the fact (and ONLY the fact) that they possess a Chinese passport. Sure, the majority of Chinese passport holders are Asian/Chinese. However, if they were white, black, red, etc and in possession of a Chinese passport they would still be denied...nothing to do with their race.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

I don't disagree with your point, but if someone is a "Canadian Citizen" they should be in possession of a "Canadian Passport" in which case, this thread would not exist.

So why are 'USA Citizens' with a green card, but not having a USA passport, allowed to board....they are not being discriminated against....aaaahh, wait a minute, NCL are headquartered in Miami so all is good in the US of A....?

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

The OP is being racially discriminated against? I know you are more reasonable than that...it has nothing to do with race. Anyone, of any race, gender, nationality, etc is denied boarding based on the fact (and ONLY the fact) that they possess a Chinese passport. Sure, the majority of Chinese passport holders are Asian/Chinese. However, if they were white, black, red, etc and in possession of a Chinese passport they would still be denied...nothing to do with their race.

Maybe not racially discriminated against but still discriminated against based on nationality.

China towns has been mentioned and maybe NCL can take this a step forward?

Why not ban everyone who has eaten in a chinese restaurant during the last month? And of course everyone who has a friend who has eaten in a chinese restaurant during the last month. Cash customers may be a problem but everyone who has used a credit card in a chinese restaurant can be stopped from cruising.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hamrag said:

So why are 'USA Citizens' with a green card, but not having a USA passport, allowed to board....they are not being discriminated against....aaaahh, wait a minute, NCL are headquartered in Miami so all is good in the US of A....?

What are you babbling about? A US Citizen has no need for, nor would have, a green card. A Green Card indicates permanent resident status...not citizenship.

11 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

Maybe not racially discriminated against but still discriminated against based on nationality.

Nope...try again. Citizenship determines which country issues your passport. Not your race, not your nationality. Someone of Irish nationality could hold a US or a Canadian passport (for example). Nothing to do with race or nationality...this is a health issue. Citizens of the country that is the source of the disease are being TEMPORARILY denied boarding strictly as a health precaution...no matter their race, no matter their nationality, no matter their religion. Stop trying to make it something it isn't.

19 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Nope...try again. Citizenship determines which country issues your passport. Not your race, not your nationality. Someone of Irish nationality could hold a US or a Canadian passport (for example). Nothing to do with race or nationality...this is a health issue. Citizens of the country that is the source of the disease are being TEMPORARILY denied boarding strictly as a health precaution...no matter their race, no matter their nationality, no matter their religion. Stop trying to make it something it isn't.

I think you are confusing nationality with ethnicity. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PRtoCA said:

This is posted on the NCL website. Some countries are not letting Chinese passport holder to disembark. A recent cruise ship was denied by 3 countries to port, it is more than a NCL policy at this point. You might be able to do a claim through your travel insurance company for the flights. 

• Singapore and the Philippines are not currently allowing Chinese nationals to disembark at their ports. Guests with a Chinese passport who are traveling on voyages that disembark in one of these regions will not be allowed on board our ships. If additional port restrictions are put into place we may have to modify this policy as needed.
    • Guests who are denied boarding due to this will be issued a refund.

https://www.ncl.com/travel-alert/coronavirus

I tried, I actually bought cancellation insurance, however I am not eligible because I don't fit in any categories - there is not travel advisory to Miami saying not to go there. So the insurance was no use.

50 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Which happens the whole world over every day.  As am American, try to travel to North Korea.

Actually, any citizen of the USA can travel to North Korea with the approval of the US State Department. I know someone who made the trip about a year ago.

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

Which happens the whole world over every day.  As am American, try to travel to North Korea.

I have prepared everything that can prove I have not travelled to show the at the border. They definitely can still deny me at the border when I take my flight, there is nothing I can do. But there is no such ban by the government yet.

Edited by phire

1 hour ago, vpearlkc said:

I think you are confusing nationality with ethnicity. 

Nope not at all. What I'm point out to people trying to create drama is that it has nothing to do with any identifiable trait (nationality, ethnicity, gender, etc, etc) the qualification for denial here is the possession of a Chinese Government Issued Passport...nothing else.

• Like 1