Quantum cruises cancelled

We have two sets of friends from the UK currently in Singapore , they flew from  Heathrow  last night, when they landed they found out the cruises on Quantum are now cancelled, they are B2B.

I am just hearing the news now.

They booked  fly cruise packages with separate TAs , going to be interesting how  this all pans out and how each agent handles the situation but for the moment they had pre cruise stays so are ok for accommodations but they will be flying back to the UK ASAP. 

so disappointing for all but safety and health is paramount .

Edited by heatherb1958

We too should have been on this cruise. We would have been on the flight to Singapore when the email came in so same situation as your friends. Luckily we cancelled last Friday after our UK ta agreed to a full refund. We are now flying to Dubai and going on Jewel on Monday instead.

Really surprised that RCL are only offering a refund to those still booked, would have expected some sort of future cruise credit in addition as all the other lines seem to be doing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kernow said:

We too should have been on this cruise. We would have been on the flight to Singapore when the email came in so same situation as your friends. Luckily we cancelled last Friday after our UK ta agreed to a full refund. We are now flying to Dubai and going on Jewel on Monday instead.

Really surprised that RCL are only offering a refund to those still booked, would have expected some sort of future cruise credit in addition as all the other lines seem to be doing.

hi there, love to you and Mark, xx

It was typical of RCI leaving it to the death to cancel. Feel for those who travelled all that way only to turn around and come back. They only found out when they landed, flight did not leave Heathrow until last night . Luckily they are with UK travel agent for this trip, they usually book with a US agent cruise only and do the peripherals themselves, so thank ful they are with a UK one on this occasion. 
With regards no mention of a FCC that is disgraceful, our love affair with RCI is waning even more when I hear that. 

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

hi there, love to you and Mark, xx

It was typical of RCI leaving it to the death to cancel. Feel for those who travelled all that way only to turn around and come back. They only found out when they landed, flight did not leave Heathrow until last night . Luckily they are with UK travel agent for this trip, they usually book with a US agent cruise only and do the peripherals themselves, so thank ful they are with a UK one on this occasion. 
With regards no mention of a FCC that is disgraceful, our love affair with RCI is waning even more when I hear that. 

Royal didn't cause the problem

You think another line wouldn't have canceled?

Refunds should be coming, not FCC

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

But they are not issuing FCC's. They are refunding

And so they should, goes without saying but a FCC as well  to reinstate some confidence with the company wouldn’t cost them anything as half would probably not use it . 

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

What kind of thinking says FCC doesn’t cost the company anything?  It’s lost revenue. Not to mention the food and services one will consume onboard. 

A FCC is usually only a small percentage of cruise fare paid, at the end of the day if a customer uses it they are giving some revenue back rather than lose a customer completely .

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

And so they should, goes without saying but a FCC as well  to reinstate some confidence with the company wouldn’t cost them anything as half would probably not use it . 

What if the FCC stood for frequent car credit.

Don't you think the car company would lose $$$ if they were used?

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 3

So heatherb seems to be saying that it would be nice of Royal to throw in any amount of FCC (with the refund) as a goodwill gesture. I agree. They cancelled the cruise last minute due to circumstances beyond their control, but many people will have travelled a long way and now have to turn around and go home.

I have gotten FCC due to issues I communicated while onboard, on two cruises. Both were nice percentages of my fare and unexpected. I used some; I did not use all. I thought it was very good customer service.

Edited by marci22
  • Thanks 1

Just now, marci22 said:

So heatherb seems to be saying that it would be nice of Royal to throw in any amount of FCC (with the refund) as a goodwill gesture. I agree. They cancelled the cruise last minute due to circumstances beyond their control, but many people will have travelled a long way and now have to turn around and go home.

I have gotten FCC when I didn't even expect it due to issues I communicated while onboard on two cruises. Both were nice percentages of my fare and unexpected. I used some; I did not use all. I thought it was very good customer service.

I understand what you are saying and certainly it’s a good gesture, but it does cost the company money.  To imply it doesn’t is just different. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I understand what you are saying and certainly it’s a good gesture, but it does cost the company money.  To imply it doesn’t is just different. 

I think people sometimes read comments/posts too literally. She says, it doesn't 'cost them anything' in the sense that it costs them little for some goodwill. We all know that it costs 'something'. 

Edited by marci22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

‘Reinstate some confidence with the company’? It’s hardly their fault! Would you rather the cruise went ahead then? My confidence WOULD be reinstated, knowing Royal had done the most sensible thing in cancelling!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

Once again rccl is very slow in making a decision. And not giving any info til practically time of sailing. Very frustrating. 

Yet had they cancelled earlier and the situation changed for the better everyone would be complaining too.  I think this has to do with the Holland Westerdam and not being allowed to dock.  RCI was probably in negotiations with the port of calls but couldn’t work out a deal.  It looks like it maybe longer than these two cruises.  Reading the last line of the letter “The Singapore market remains of great importance to us and we look forward to returning there very soon.“. What could soon mean?

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/55/quantum-of-the-seas-update/?fbclid=IwAR07ozBhDV033lzVQNLsRus9sIeMSROMGO6lr1_2X9nFYKtZHSHwzAvNdrM

Edited by Sail n Snow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Royal didn't cause the problem

You think another line wouldn't have canceled?

Refunds should be coming, not FCC

Celebrity have cancelled Millenium sailing also from Singapore this weekend. They have offered a full refund and 50% future cruise credit. They are the same company. Princess have offered the cancelled Diamond cruises refund plus 100% FCC.

Of course this costs them something but gives great publicity. Many people are now in Singapore with no flight home for 2 weeks. It would have been a nice gesture 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

‘Reinstate some confidence with the company’? It’s hardly their fault! Would you rather the cruise went ahead then? My confidence WOULD be reinstated, knowing Royal had done the most sensible thing in cancelling!

Personally, I think the "most sensible thing to do" would have been to cancel these cruises a week ago - not after people had flown 13+ hours across the world. That part is their fault. A little communication earlier in the week (even if it was to say "we may be cancelling these cruises, watch this space") would have gone a long way. 

• Like 7