Quantum cruises cancelled

1 hour ago, heatherb1958 said:

And so they should, goes without saying but a FCC as well  to reinstate some confidence with the company wouldn’t cost them anything as half would probably not use it . 

I agree there should, be some kind of compensation. I understand that it's not RC fault, but they are a multi million dollar company and perhaps they shouldn't of left it so late to cancel the cruise. They must know folk are travelling half way around  the world for a Big deal cruise like this. Holiday time is limited and can't always be cancelled so that may be a person's main leave allocation for the year. Not to mention the high cost of changing flights which may not be covered by the cruise company. 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

While I CERTAINLY think 2 days notice of cancellation at a minimum should apply for non - weather related emergencies, I do think that this situation with the HA Westerdam is a wrinkle they were not expecting.  

Royal had a good plan in place and folks were able to get flights changed etc for this trip.  But these new port restrictions are a problem.   I also wonder how many guests sailing would have been able to still pass all of the quarantine rules (not being in China for 2 weeks or flying thru etc).

Its got to be torture for Royal to have Spectrum and Quantum sitting idle over there!!  Hope they can figure out SOMETHING to do with them the next few months!!

Not sure want Quantum's itinerary was going to be but with how the Asian countries are reacting.  I imagine the Quantum would have been impacted for at least some of the port of calls.  This cruise should have been cancelled a couple day ago.  Since they didn't and people traveled, then along a full refund, some amount of FCC should be awarded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Because at the end of the day they get good free PR in return, 

simple .

The Good PR is only free to RC if the FCC's are not used.   If they are used it is costing them the face value of the FCC.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

When was the cancelled cruise due to start?

The 15th.  Originally a Singapore to Hong Kong cruise (9 nights) and then a Hong Kong to Singapore cruise.  I believe they changed it to roundtrip about 2 weeks ago along with adjusting the ports of call.  

Edited by Sail n Snow
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

When was the cancelled cruise due to start?

The first cancelled cruise was due to start this Sat 15/02. We were on that one, had an email late on 30/01 to say HK was cancelled and it was now roundtrip Singapore.  We changed our flights but decided last Fri to cancel as the situation in Singapore was getting worse. Our TA offered a full refund but many didn't which is why so many felt forced to carry on with the cruise. Many UK and Australian  TAs offered this as a package with time spent pre cruise in Singapore.

The next cruise departing 24/02 has also been cancelled, lots of people were doing b2b.

• Like 2

I just saw a you tube video about the ships being cancelled. The commentator gave me pause to think about how long is this epidemic going to be. No one can say. He said it made him concerned for the rest of the cruise industry.  How long will ALL cruise ships be  able to sail before they are stopped. I hope the CDC can get this under control. 

Edited by bjtll
Spelling

This is why it is important to have trip interruption insurance. We have raised various scenarios with our insurance company as we want to be prepared for most eventualities.   We will be cruising in mid March.  Heck, as far as we know, the sky might be falling in by then.  We were told that once we leave our front door and are driving to the airport, if one of our suppliers, eg. airline, cruiseline does not GIVE us what we paid for (e.g, cancels flight, cancels the cruise for ANY REASON, then that is when our trip interruption insurance kicks in.  So if we had already reached our port of embarcation, then and find out that the cruise is cancelled because of coronavirus, (then we get accommodation paid for us to $2000 per person and air fare back to our point of origin).    

We have gotten many FCC credits from Royal Caribbean for various issues and I find the amount has always been reasonable.  One one cruise, I injured myself and got back my entire cruise fare (yes entire) and a FCC for the entire value of my cruise fare as well.  So the powers to be there are pretty reasonable and fair.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fred30 said:

The Good PR is only free to RC if the FCC's are not used.   If they are used it is costing them the face value of the FCC.

Agree. Ships breaks down doesnt sail part of stops or canceled Cruise due to this they more likely provide extras like FCC. Then acts of God, storms and such there is no Guarantee of anything extra inc where ship sails or even if it does. Wonder this considered same... I missed many Ports over yrs,, storms, illness, never got anything. A canceled Cruise due to them redeploying ship to another area, got some FCC if I chose one other ship same week going different Ports. Otherwise only full refund

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, fred30 said:

I would also add that this epidemic is in no way RCI's fault, so I don't see why they should need free PR. I worked in the industry for 25 years, and I'm now a professor of Advertising & PR at a large US university. No seasoned PR pro would suggest the need for such a strategy in this case. The company is already losing a lot of money themselves due to the canceled itineraries. They should not have to absorb any of the expenses of inconvenienced passengers when this isn't their fault. That's what travel insurance is for.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

I would also add that this epidemic is in no way RCI's fault, so I don't see why they should need free PR. I worked in the industry for 25 years, and I'm now a professor of Advertising & PR at a large US university. No seasoned PR pro would suggest the need for such a strategy in this case. The company is already losing a lot of money themselves due to the canceled itineraries. They should not have to absorb any of the expenses of inconvenienced passengers when this isn't their fault. That's what travel insurance is for.

I don't think they have to, but I do think it alleviates disappointment and builds loyalty. They make lots and lots of money. Hard for me to believe offering some small amount of FCC is going to break the bank for them. I guess it's a different story if they're taking the long view that the entire industry is going to be hit hard with more cancellations.

• Like 1

They must indeed be taking the long view as a friend of mine has a cruise booked in late June with RCI and they are offering to let them reschedule with no penalty. This epidemic could cause a major upheaval to the entire industry. That said, I just booked on Liberty for late August, so we’re hoping the worst of it will be over by then. I’m truly sorry for all those affected ❤️🙏🏻

• Like 1

6 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Because at the end of the day they get good free PR in return, 

simple .

No. Basic business sense. Let's say cruise line gives all passengers on the cruise a FCC. Possibly 50% may use the FCC within the guidelines set by the cruise company. That drops revenue for the sailing the customer with the FCC chooses and does not allow another customer to come along and pay full price. "Goodwill" always has a price to the company. But in reality, the price the company is paying out will be off loaded to us, the consumer. Just like when someone steals at the grocery store, eventually, the prices go up for all of us.

There is a whole department of people who gather to make decisions on how to handle special situations. Each company will decide differently, or sometimes not to be outdone by another company, will wait it out and then come up with a better plan, making them the hero in the long run.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gbcruise said:

Let's say cruise line gives all passengers on the cruise a FCC. Possibly 50% may use the FCC within the guidelines set by the cruise company. That drops revenue for the sailing the customer with the FCC chooses and does not allow another customer to come along and pay full price.

If this keeps up no one is going to even be booking, never mind paying full price. They need all the goodwill they can get. 

On 2/12/2020 at 10:51 AM, bjtll said:

I just saw a you tube video about the ships being cancelled. The commentator gave me pause to think about how long is this epidemic going to be. No one can say. He said it made him concerned for the rest of the cruise industry.  How long will ALL cruise ships be  able to sail before they are stopped. I hope the CDC can get this under control. 

You do realize that CDC just covers the United States.  Various countries have their own version and then you have WHO (World Health Organization).  Their are many cogs trying to address the situation at many different layers.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:22 AM, CruiseGirl4ever said:

...The company is already losing a lot of money themselves due to the canceled itineraries. They should not have to absorb any of the expenses of inconvenienced passengers when this isn't their fault. That's what travel insurance is for.

This just in https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/58A63858-0B99-4AA7-8536-8D8837F620D2

So they already know part of the financial hit. Goodwill is ok but they also have a duty to their stock holders to minimize the losses. 

Edited by Sail n Snow
  • Like 1

When China is not reporting accurate information on their cases/deaths how is the rest of the world supposed to know what decisions to make to protect its citizens?  Each day new information comes from China and none of it is good news.  With the WHO and CDC monitoring the situation along with leaders of other countries around the world it is next to impossible for any company to come to an enlightened decision. 

Feel so sorry for those stranded on Diamond Princess and Westerdam.  I think it was prudent for RCCL/Celebrity to error on the side of caution and protect its customers and crews.  

Instead of slamming these companies we should be praying for those sick and dying and those stuck on ships not allowed to dock.

Sad for the cruisers, but I've never held any desire to sail to that part of the world. Ah, the Orient/Asia/China, you can have it....I hope all money is refunded properly and in due time. I hope this COVID-19 doesn't get worse.

Orient / Asia / China - we have done it all!  And loved it.  Culture shock in a lot of places.  Yes, but it certainly makes you thankful for what you have and the country in which you live (Canada for me).  Australia and New Zealand is next (in March).   We have many more cruises booked with both RCL and Princess and flu season ( coronavirus is a version of flu - a little more extreme obviously because of the viral spread) usually ends in late April as things warm up so we will see if temperature changes outcome.  Hopefully, things improve but people really have to stop the large gatherings of celebrating every moment (birthday of a 1 year old, where ten thousand people gather  from second to 10th cousin!!! - Yes I am exaggerating, but certain cultures take these events / practices  a little too over the top).  People are unknowingly gathering too many people together who may have been exposed when they fete one another all too often in these cultures (no I am not prejudiced just realistic).  

17 hours ago, Sail n Snow said:

This just in https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/58A63858-0B99-4AA7-8536-8D8837F620D2

So they already know part of the financial hit. Goodwill is ok but they also have a duty to their stock holders to minimize the losses. 

are you kidding me? financial loss?

Royal Caribbean shared were on alltime high in December and have only slightly lost since. shareprice today is about the same as early December before the Corona thing