Boarding Denial

Riverside500

11 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@vampiress Good for you to point that out. I have post nasal drip stimulated by eating. People have acid reflux. My wife has asthma-induced cough. We joke about sounding like a tubercular ward. I always worry about Dudley-Do-Wrong pointing at us on the pier and screaming for a haz-mat tent over our heads.

Same here.  My allergies are awful.  

Edited by CynCyn
Spelling- really Apple autocorrect

48 minutes ago, CHUCKIE50 said:

Many people don't know that a common side effect of a frequently used type of blood pressure medication is a dry cough. Look up the side effects of Ace inhibitors. Without a medical history and exam none of us can diagnose a stranger's cough. 

I have been coughing for 30 yrs from BP meds .  I don't even notice that I do it anymore but by wife keeps reminding me.

Edited by Iamcruzin

12 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I got the following notification from Princess two days before boarding Regal on February 2:

CORONAVIRUS TRAVEL ADVISORY

We are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) situation and wish to reassure you that the risk to our guests and crew is low and our medical experts are coordinating closely with global health authorities.

As a precautionary measure, any guest who has traveled from or through mainland China within 14 days of the beginning of this cruise will be denied boarding. This does not apply to Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. If this applies to you or your client, please contact us at 1-800-774-6237 (North America) or your country s office to provide proof of such travel and we will process a full refund of all amounts paid to Princess Cruises for this voyage.

In addition, all guests will be subject to pre-boarding health reporting and screening at cruise check-in, in addition to other precautions being taken. The above is subject to change based on the interests of health and safety of our guests and crew and any other requirements imposed by local authorities.

I hope this answers your original question.  Only what you paid to Princess.  The remainder is what you get travel insurance for.

Adding to the above post: The section "Your health" in the Passage Contract has the following:

If a guest has a condition that We decide may seriously affect the enjoyment, health or safety of themselves or any other person onboard, We can refuse or cancel a booking. Such decisions will be made giving reasonable consideration to Your circumstances and We will advise You of Our decision as soon as possible. Where Your booking is cancelled You may be entitled to a refund.

I realise that the above item in the Passage Contract doesn't say they will refund, but I don't think Princess would have any option but to refund if they wouldn't let someone board.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

That is why you get cruise insurance. Comes with my charge card as a perk.

Just be sure you purchased insurance that covers declared epidemics.

There have been posts on other threads by people who found out they are not covered for declared epidemics.

And not everybody who has insurance has Cancel For Any Reason Insurance.

22 hours ago, Riverside500 said:

Does anyone know if you get a full refund if Princess denies boarding because they think you might be sick?

If you have trip insurance that covers it. Otherwise, no, unless Princess agrees to a refund.

Edited by CI66774

I’ve always wondered at what point a cruise line would deny boarding due to ‘symptoms’.   If I am congested, coughing, and mild fever (aka, the common cold) would I be denied boarding?   My question is for when there is NOT a pandemic happening VS the current situation with coronavirus.   When I look at CV symptoms the look like someone who might have a cold. 🤷‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Postman806 said:

I’ve always wondered at what point a cruise line would deny boarding due to ‘symptoms’.   If I am congested, coughing, and mild fever (aka, the common cold) would I be denied boarding?   My question is for when there is NOT a pandemic happening VS the current situation with coronavirus.   When I look at CV symptoms the look like someone who might have a cold. 🤷‍♂️

...............At least in the beginning stages

41 minutes ago, Postman806 said:

If (normal times) Princess thinks there might be a medical problem when you check in, ship's medical staff would come ashore to evaluate your condition.

After examining the situation, they might:

a) Let you board with no restrictions

b) Let you board but require staying in your cabin until they determine you no longer are a risk to others

c) Deny boarding

Of course all Princess cruisers are not posters to Cruise Critic, but I do not remember any posts saying they were denied boarding due to symptoms at check-in.

• Like 1

Interesting.. I was on the Regal Princess sailing on Feb 2 from Fort Lauderdale and neither my husband or I received any notification in advance about the Coronavirus. They did ask us upon embarkation if we had traveled to mainland China within the past 2 months

• Like 1

Both I and my little one have asthma and cough frequently...and perfumes, after shaves, cleaning products etc are the biggest culprit.  I often do not attend shows because I walk in and smell so many scents intermingled that I know I will do nothing but cause a disruption...and everyone around me will think I am ill.  I have had people say things about our then not quite two year old on prior cruises...she was not sick at all, she has a terrible allergy to several tree pollens and something was driving her asthma crazy on one trip.   When I say she’s allergic and asthmatic I tend to get an uh-huh or an oh, sure type reaction.. Sigh. It’s true...and if one of us were ill we’d simply stay in our cabin, enjoy resting, maybe stepping out onto our balcony and having tea and soup delivered.....we’d make the best of things.   Why is it that everyone assumes the worst of others nowadays?   I truly believe most other passengers would be responsible

as to being denied boarding, I think given the current climate and all of the associated precautions, a note from my doc and her pediatrician isn’t a bad idea.  Thanks for the suggestion!!

The cutoff point appears to be a temperature above 37.5°C and you will be refused boarding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

9 hours ago, medsed said:

I often do not attend shows because I walk in and smell so many scents intermingled that I know I will do nothing but cause a disruption...and everyone around me will think I am ill.  

May I make a suggestion?

Pre-treat with your rescue inhaler when you know you'll be in a situation that will trigger your asthma/cough.

• Like 2

giving others unsolicited medical advice when you are not their doctor is not a good idea. 

i was taught perfume is for me and shouldn't be normally smelled by others, and certainly shouldn't linger when i leave. i wish more people had that understanding as well. i wear perfume and perfume oils but i make sure its not a cloud around me and you should only smell it if i invite you into my personal space. i've lately been using a scent locket, which doesn't seem to be overpowering to others, but i also only put a drop of oil in the wool pad and do not soak it.

Edited by vampiress

14 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

May I make a suggestion?

Pre-treat with your rescue inhaler when you know you'll be in a situation that will trigger your asthma/cough.

I hate the jitters that the inhaler gives me...so unless I am really, really, really wanting to see a show it’s just not worth it....but it does help

On 2/12/2020 at 7:30 AM, Riverside500 said:

Does anyone know if you get a full refund if Princess denies boarding because they think you might be sick?

According to the earlier release you get full refund if you have passed through or visited China and provide them with evidence of such.

Those denied due to potential illness - Nope. 

I believe the logic is that travel insurance does not pay for denied boarding due to previous travel, but it does pay for denied boarding due to illness.  If denied boarding I would make sure and get a signed document detailing that denied due to illness from the cruise line.

If you have any reason to believe you have a chronic, non-infectious cough or other symptoms of any infectious disease, I would strongly suggest you get a letter from your doctor’s office indicating that you are safe to travel. Make sure the letter is on the doctors letterhead.

This will not guarantee you access - The cruiseship can do whatever they think is best, as they should – but it will make it easier for you to justify being allowed to board. 

Remember, Princess and all the cruise lines want you on board as well as everyone else – it’s how they make their money.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:15 PM, CynCyn said:

Same here.  My allergies are awful.  

My wife often sneezes explosively! It is really, really, really loud. She's not sick but it sometimes startles the heck out of me and anybody else within 500 miles or so. 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2020 at 7:49 AM, vampiress said:

giving others unsolicited medical advice when you are not their doctor is not a good idea. 

i was taught perfume is for me and shouldn't be normally smelled by others, and certainly shouldn't linger when i leave. i wish more people had that understanding as well. i wear perfume and perfume oils but i make sure its not a cloud around me and you should only smell it if i invite you into my personal space. i've lately been using a scent locket, which doesn't seem to be overpowering to others, but i also only put a drop of oil in the wool pad and do not soak it.

Sadly, there are others who don't see things that way...

image.jpeg.a04760f35708f6dffe9b9bff8cf9b866.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5