Boarding Denial

Riverside500

Thanks for the help.

I’ve been on a number of cruises...the demographic is typically older folks ( like me) who have various complaints but not what one might call “sick”

The cruise lines, and especially Princess right now, are hyper sensitive and boarding refusals will no doubt sharply increase...some for mistaken reasons.

Edited by Riverside500

3 minutes ago, floridian1 said:

i would like to know this too. Also what if only 1 of your party of 4 is deemed sick.

If one is denied boarding...the rest of you would have a big decision to make.

Cancel and stay with the "sick" one?

Leave the "sick" one at the port?

No insurance coverage would be a no brainer for me..."see you when we get back, get well soon". :classic_tongue:

With cancel for any reason insurance, you're a little better off, but still a big decision to make.

• Haha 1

If you are denied boarding for a medical reason (showing symptoms of an illness) your recourse is through your trip insurance. 

If you are asking about a possible illness, or something such as the new travel limitations imposed by the Corona virus, that has a lot of variables involved which might include voluntary reimbursement by the cruiseline, but they are not obligated to do so.  

Travel insurance might provide some relief, but there are limits as to when the policy was purchased and what Specific coverage you purchased.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

I guess you have never been on a cruise ship where people are coughing a lot. Many many people board cruise ships who are already sick.

3 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

If you are denied boarding for a medical reason (showing symptoms of an illness) your recourse is through your trip insurance. 

If you are asking about a possible illness, or something such as the new travel limitations imposed by the Corona virus, that has a lot of variables involved which might include voluntary reimbursement by the cruiseline, but they are not obligated to do so.  

Travel insurance might provide some relief, but there are limits as to when the policy was purchased and what Specific coverage you purchased.

please be careful of stigmatizing people who cough.  there are plenty of reasons people may cough that are not infectious such as allergies and various respiratory diseases.  sure some people you see coughing are sick, but others, like  me, have bad allergies which cause me to cough and tear up and no matter how much i cough on you, you can't catch my allergic reactions to pollen, cleansers, and dust.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2

@vampiress Good for you to point that out. I have post nasal drip stimulated by eating. People have acid reflux. My wife has asthma-induced cough. We joke about sounding like a tubercular ward. I always worry about Dudley-Do-Wrong pointing at us on the pier and screaming for a haz-mat tent over our heads.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

@vampiress and @mayleeman thank you..I have this as well.  I once had to walk out of the room during a muster drill in a coughing fit from the mixture of aftershave and perfume and smoke in the room.  Our station was in Churchill's my allergies/sinuses went haywire...my eyes and nose were running and then I started coughing and had to get out...as I tried to quickly make my exit without disturbing to many I got such dirty looks and heard people making comments of me spreading germs...yet no one said anything to the woman who was eating shrimp off her plate in the buffet, licked her fingers and then picked up the spoon to spoon rice on her plate.  I called a crew member over and asked them to replace the spoon and explained what I had just seen. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It's the people who don't cover their mouth when coughing that gets to me.  Since becoming sick from people coughing behind me in the Theater, I now move to another seat when someone behind me  is  coughing constantly. When the theater sounds like a dog kennel with all the "barking"  hacking,  I'm guessing most are probably sick and it's time to move seats.  I too will have a dry or sinus cough but make sure I have my mouth covered (not with hand) or leave the theater if my coughing continues.  

Agree that excessive perfume or aftershave  in a closed area, can really do a number on you.

Edited by coo359a2
  • Like 8

I got the following notification from Princess two days before boarding Regal on February 2:

CORONAVIRUS TRAVEL ADVISORY

We are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) situation and wish to reassure you that the risk to our guests and crew is low and our medical experts are coordinating closely with global health authorities.

As a precautionary measure, any guest who has traveled from or through mainland China within 14 days of the beginning of this cruise will be denied boarding. This does not apply to Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. If this applies to you or your client, please contact us at 1-800-774-6237 (North America) or your country s office to provide proof of such travel and we will process a full refund of all amounts paid to Princess Cruises for this voyage.

In addition, all guests will be subject to pre-boarding health reporting and screening at cruise check-in, in addition to other precautions being taken. The above is subject to change based on the interests of health and safety of our guests and crew and any other requirements imposed by local authorities.

I hope this answers your original question.  Only what you paid to Princess.  The remainder is what you get travel insurance for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My next cruise isn't until March 22nd and I'm already sitting in Sbux eyes red, nose runny. it's allergy season. So just because I look like I have the flu doesn't mean I have the flu (it's bad here in Walnut Creek CA). The person who just sat down is wearing perfume  ..... I might have to leave. I'm NOT sick. Now imagine that onboard 😡

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

My next cruise isn't until March 22nd and I'm already sitting in Sbux eyes red, nose runny. it's allergy season. So just because I look like I have the flu doesn't mean I have the flu (it's bad here in Walnut Creek CA). The person who just sat down is wearing perfume  ..... I might have to leave. I'm NOT sick. Now imagine that onboard 😡

Well, I’m in the same boat. Nasty cough due to allergies. We are in Concord and also boarding on 3-22. We received a move over offer from our 1-22 cruise. Perfume and after shave leave me gasping for breath. 

Cheers, Denise

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dchip said:

Well, I’m in the same boat. Nasty cough due to allergies. We are in Concord and also boarding on 3-22. We received a move over offer from our 1-22 cruise. Perfume and after shave leave me gasping for breath. 

Cheers, Denise

The Grand in SF .... if so, are you going to be at the Sailaway? I know of 7 from Clayton & PH onboard

My suggestion to those people who suffer from allergies and experience cold symptoms including cough.    Present to your doctor;  ask said physician to write a letter, yes, there will be a cost, explaining that you have suffered from allergies for years and that you presently take whatever (??? meds).  This will also apply people who take certain blood pressure medications who experience a persistent annoying cough.    Bring letter with you and have it ready if you are queried as you attempt to board with your allergy or drug induced coughing.    Try to mitigate..  

Also, for anyone denied boarding onto the ship because of a cough or cold like symptoms,  I doubt trip interruption insurance would cover your flight home.    My understanding which is pretty limited is that trip interruption will only cover you if a physician states that your medical condition prevents you from sailing and, hence, you would need to return home if you had flown into the port.  If Said medical condition is acute and grave and sudden, you would be putting yourself in medical peril boarding and sailing for the whatever number of days, I see trip interruption working in that respect and also covering the cost of the cruise fare and air. 

A simple cough and the ship  denying you boarding because of it, you will have no recourse to insurance and you will be paying for your flight home.  Whether the cruise line give you a future cruise credit or refund I guess is at the discretion of the cruise line but from the many posts, it appears that they may well give you the cruise fare at least back.    We need to actually here from a guest who is denied boarding because of a cost to be able to gage what the cruise lines are doing with said guests in terms of compensation.  I am sure we will eventually.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pink845 said:

My suggestion to those people who suffer from allergies and experience cold symptoms including cough.    Present to your doctor;  ask said physician to write a letter, yes, there will be a cost, explaining that you have suffered from allergies for years and that you presently take whatever (??? meds).  This will also apply people who take certain blood pressure medications who experience a persistent annoying cough.    Bring letter with you and have it ready if you are queried as you attempt to board with your allergy or drug induced coughing.    Try to mitigate..  

Also, for anyone denied boarding onto the ship because of a cough or cold like symptoms,  I doubt trip interruption insurance would cover your flight home.    My understanding which is pretty limited is that trip interruption will only cover you if a physician states that your medical condition prevents you from sailing and, hence, you would need to return home if you had flown into the port.  If Said medical condition is acute and grave and sudden, you would be putting yourself in medical peril boarding and sailing for the whatever number of days, I see trip interruption working in that respect and also covering the cost of the cruise fare and air. 

A simple cough and the ship  denying you boarding because of it, you will have no recourse to insurance and you will be paying for your flight home.  Whether the cruise line give you a future cruise credit or refund I guess is at the discretion of the cruise line but from the many posts, it appears that they may well give you the cruise fare at least back.    We need to actually here from a guest who is denied boarding because of a cost to be able to gage what the cruise lines are doing with said guests in terms of compensation.  I am sure we will eventually.   

When my wife ended up in the hospital the day before we were to cruise. One very important part of the info for the insurance company was a form her doctor had to fill out indicating that it was his opinion that she was not in any condition to take a cruise. Plus other medical info for the reason. Also indicating that I was required to be with her. Otherwise only one refund. We did get the port charges and tax, and the drink purchases refunded in a day or two. Not the cost of the basic cruise.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I got the following notification from Princess two days before boarding Regal on February 2:

We are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) situation and wish to reassure you that the risk to our guests and crew is low and our medical experts are coordinating closely with global health authorities.

As a precautionary measure, any guest who has traveled from or through mainland China within 14 days of the beginning of this cruise will be denied boarding. This does not apply to Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. If this applies to you or your client, please contact us at 1-800-774-6237 (North America) or your country s office to provide proof of such travel and we will process a full refund of all amounts paid to Princess Cruises for this voyage.

In addition, all guests will be subject to pre-boarding health reporting and screening at cruise check-in, in addition to other precautions being taken. The above is subject to change based on the interests of health and safety of our guests and crew and any other requirements imposed by local authorities.

I hope this answers your original question.  Only what you paid to Princess.  The remainder is what you get travel insurance for.

This week’s is a bit different...

We're monitoring the situation with the coronavirus that originated in mainland China, and our medical experts are working with global health authorities. As a precaution, anyone who has traveled from or through mainland China, Macau or Hong Kong (including airport transits), or has had contact with a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) within 14 days of the start of this cruise will not be allowed to board the ship. If this applies to you or your client, please contact us with proof of this travel for a full refund of the amount paid to Princess Cruises. All guests will also be subject to pre- boarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in. Due to changing circumstances, it is possible that authorities in the countries on your cruise may change their entry requirements on short notice. Please check all entry requirements prior to your arrival to the ship to ensure you are not impacted. Guest passports will be scanned to verify compliance. False responses on forms will result in immediate debark at the next opportunity, and you may face legal consequences. We may change requirements to safeguard guests and crew.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, idahospud said:

This week’s is a bit different...

We're monitoring the situation with the coronavirus that originated in mainland China, and our medical experts are working with global health authorities. As a precaution, anyone who has traveled from or through mainland China, Macau or Hong Kong (including airport transits), or has had contact with a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) within 14 days of the start of this cruise will not be allowed to board the ship. If this applies to you or your client, please contact us with proof of this travel for a full refund of the amount paid to Princess Cruises. All guests will also be subject to pre- boarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in. Due to changing circumstances, it is possible that authorities in the countries on your cruise may change their entry requirements on short notice. Please check all entry requirements prior to your arrival to the ship to ensure you are not impacted. Guest passports will be scanned to verify compliance. False responses on forms will result in immediate debark at the next opportunity, and you may face legal consequences. We may change requirements to safeguard guests and crew.

Good for Princess!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

The person who just sat down is wearing perfume  ..... I might have to leave.

I know about that one. It's amazing how much scent some folks dump onto themselves. I get an immediate headache when someone like that sits down near me in the theater.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Guess wrong. Almost every cruise has the hackers/coffers...

Many people don't know that a common side effect of a frequently used type of blood pressure medication is a dry cough. Look up the side effects of Ace inhibitors. Without a medical history and exam none of us can diagnose a stranger's cough. 

• Like 2