Passport expiration question

Tallyfins

There will be 4 of us traveling and 2 of our passports will expire within 3 months of our cruise (Carribean March 2020). As long as they do not expire before we return, should we be OK? One expires in April and the other in June. I know for international travel, most airlines will not let you travel if your passport is expiring within 3 months of your trip.

Thanks in advance,

TF

Remember, while your passport with a short time to expiration will get you back into the USA, it may not allow you to disembark at certain ports of call and you will be denied boarding.

It depends on your ports of call and what the government of each country requires for cruise ship passengers

Martinique is an example of a port where a  passport is required. 

Check your itinerary and the requirements of each port.

• Like 1

From the U. S. Passport Guide website:

Question: We are going on a Caribbean cruise March 6 through March 26. Our passports expire June. Will we be okay or do we need to renew ASAP?

Answer: The answer depends on which country/s you are visiting during the cruise. While most Caribbean countries only require a valid passport, a few require at least 3 or 6 months. Please contact the cruise line for travel requirements.

Here is the link to Foreign Entry Requirements

Personally - I would not travel on a 'soon to expire' passport.  If folks in your party only have to renew...you still have time to do it....it'll just cost more to get it expedited. You've got to do it anyway....I'd get it done.

• Like 3

It isn't necessarily what is "required" as far as expiration dates.

What happens if one of you becomes ill and has to be transported somewhere for care?  Will that location (country, area) allow you in with a soon-to-be-expiring passport?  Will you be able to get on a plane to get home if you spend time at a hospital and your passport expires during that time?

In my opinion, it is really silly to take any kind of UNNECESSARY CHANCES while on vacation - just get the passports renewed before you leave.  Pay the expedited charges, and have peace of mind.

Edited by DinaS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you're a US citizen and taking a closed-loop cruise out of a US port and visiting the 'normal' Caribbean ports 7 day cruises go to then your passport will work. Some of the not 'normal' ports require more time on the passport. Like someone else said, if you have to disembark at a different port it's possible that there might be issues - it's been a while since I researched what the entrance requirements are in the Caribbean vs cruise requirements. I just renew my passport before it has 6 months left (because yes there's plenty of countries that require 6 months left on the passport and NCL requires it for non-US cruises). 

2 hours ago, Tallyfins said:

There will be 4 of us traveling and 2 of our passports will expire within 3 months of our cruise (Carribean March 2020). As long as they do not expire before we return, should we be OK? One expires in April and the other in June. I know for international travel, most airlines will not let you travel if your passport is expiring within 3 months of your trip.

Thanks in advance,

TF

The Caribbean is not a country. It is a region. It includes many countries. They don’t all have the same requirements. Without knowing your itinerary the most anyone could answer is you might be OK. You also might not be OK. You need to be specific on the itinerary. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

The counties in question are -- BarbadosGuadeloupeHaitiMartiniqueSt. BartsSt. Martin (but not Dutch St. Maarten), and Trinidad & Tobago. If you are visiting any of those then you may need a passport to disembark on that island. Worst case scenario is that you will have to stay on the ship in one of those ports. You will never be denied boarding of your entire cruise or ever have any issue coming back to US on a closed loop cruise with a valid passport or (State issued ID and birth cert)

So if you are not visiting any of those then all is good with even a passport that expires the day after the cruise.  As others have noted, its always a good idea to have a passport and you should get it renewed but paying for expedited replacement on a trip where it is not required is a little extreme.

Edited by XuGator
  • Haha 1

Ok - thanks to everyone except the lone smart a$$ geography major. I will work on getting it renewed via expediting. I've had to go the expediting route before, so I am familiar with it.

We are also going to Europe in June (yes, I know that is NOT a country Charles...) and I had planned to get it done before then. This cruise idea kind of popped up out of nowhere last week...

20 minutes ago, Tallyfins said:

Ok - thanks to everyone except the lone smart a$$ geography major. I will work on getting it renewed via expediting. I've had to go the expediting route before, so I am familiar with it.

We are also going to Europe in June (yes, I know that is NOT a country Charles...) and I had planned to get it done before then. This cruise idea kind of popped up out of nowhere last week...

I just got mine renewed - I'd already planned to get it renewed between cruises and then added another cruise but fortunately I still had about 10 weeks so did a regular application and hoped for the best.  I did it over the holidays and even with that, I had it back in just over 2 weeks.  Probably too close for comfort if you are sailing in March, but good to know they are processing fairly quickly.

21 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Good heavens!  It's a closed loop cruise and you don't even need a passport!! As a U.S. citizen you can sail under a certified BIRTH CERTIFICATE and a Government Issued ID ...PERIOD.  Expiration date doesn't apply.

You are correct that the US Government does not require a passport for a closed loop cruise to re-enter the US but even US Customs & Border Protection Dept take the time to include:

"HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement."

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Good heavens!  It's a closed loop cruise and you don't even need a passport!! As a U.S. citizen you can sail under a certified BIRTH CERTIFICATE and a Government Issued ID ...PERIOD.  Expiration date doesn't apply.

Until it is no longer a closed loop cruise due to unforseen circumstances.  Illness, itinerary change and so forth.  If I understand correctly,  a US passport is valid until the expiration date if you are returning to the US.  The date issue has to do with travel to a foreign country - and they make the rules. 

7 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

I heard it is not the case now with the coronavirus. Everyone would need a passport. This is how they can make sure you did not traveled to China. A birth certificate would not work now. If it does work, then why the news of 2 ladies that was going to get married on one of NCL cruise ship received an email about letting them know that their guests would need a passport? NCL policy is wrong. It does not have to be someone from China or traveled to China to get the coronavirus. This time, the coroavirus is tricky is that if one person get better, can get sick again. Isolated for 14 days or more wont work.

10 hours ago, poohdreaming said:

I heard it is not the case now with the coronavirus. Everyone would need a passport. This is how they can make sure you did not traveled to China. A birth certificate would not work now. If it does work, then why the news of 2 ladies that was going to get married on one of NCL cruise ship received an email about letting them know that their guests would need a passport? NCL policy is wrong. It does not have to be someone from China or traveled to China to get the coronavirus. This time, the coroavirus is tricky is that if one person get better, can get sick again. Isolated for 14 days or more wont work.

This is completely inaccurate. DL and birth certificate will absolutely work now on a closed loop cruise. I found the article you are referencing and it pertains to individuals visiting a cruise ship who are not sailing. They would embark for the ceremony and then get off. https://6abc.com/5928770/

Edited by XuGator

I would order a replacement passport on general principle.

However I can't think of any Carib countries that will prevent you from day visits on a cruise ship for passport issues like that.

And the US will allow you back up to the last day without issue.