Mediterranean Cruise

atljb2

We have cruised many times on NCL but never to the Med.  For those of you that have, did you enjoy it, what were you’re likes/dislikes?

Again we are familiar with a lot of NCL ships including Encore which we just sailed.

Yes, already been a few times to the med and also twice with NCL. I didn`t dislike anything. The only thing which one should get used to is that there are not that many beaches near the most ports,especially in the western med. There are beaches but not that many and they are also not that nice as in the carribbean.

In most of the ports there is so much to see that it might become steressfull for some. A ed cruise should not be done for a relaxing vacation cause there is simly too much to see.

It's no different than anything else, except that the travel to sites can be further from the port, so a lot of time is eaten up by travel.  I guess this also leads to higher excursion prices.

Like Rome is 90 min from Civi.  Florence is the same from Livorno.  Positano requires a drive up Naples.

When you are in the Caribbean, whatever you want is always 10 min away.

Some of the ports are pretty small (Dubrovnik, Split, Kotor, etc.) and can be touristy but still very interesting. Despite the warm weather, it is definitely a walk and explore cruise as opposed to a sit on the beach cruise.  

Edited by fastpitchdad

We and three other couples did the NCL 12-day Med cruise in 2015, so the itinerary has probably changed since then.  We were on the Spirit.  We loved this cruise!  We embarked from Barcelona and spent two nights prior to boarding, which was fun. Lots to see and do there, including a beach.  We then sailed to southern France and did a winery tour for the day, with a private van and guide who worked at the one winery.  Had a nice lunch in Cassis.  Then on to Italy, where we hired the Rome in Limo tour company, again with a private van for the 8 of us plus driver/guide, and they planned our days in each port according to what we wanted to see and do.  I highly recommend them.  They know how to avoid the crowds, even getting us in a side entrance to one of the museums one day.  We toured  Florence, Tuscany, the Vatican, Rome, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast with a pleasant stop in Positano.  Then we sailed to Mykonos, Greece, and did a beach day there.  Then on to Istanbul, Turkey, which was discontinued three months later as a port stop due to the political climate and tensions there.  We disembarked in Venice, which was an overnight stay.

It is true that this is a tour-intensive cruise.  However, we did grab an extra sea day by staying on the ship when it stopped at Ephesus, Turkey, which was so nice to have the pool all to ourselves.  It was exhausting but very exciting--the trip of a lifetime for us and our friends.  The Spirit was a fine ship, with the biggest deepest pool I've seen on any ship.  We had the specialty dining package and had wonderful meals, along with the beverage package.  We also were met by our tour guides as soon as we got off the ship, at almost every port but in Mykonos.

Edited by mderaba
spelling

On 2/13/2020 at 2:05 PM, atljb2 said:

We have cruised many times on NCL but never to the Med.  For those of you that have, did you enjoy it, what were you’re likes/dislikes? Again we are familiar with a lot of NCL ships including Encore which we just sailed.

The Med is a great place to cruise. Very historic. A cruise on the Epic is very port intensive. Some historic locations, like Rome, are a long ways from the port, so you start very early in the morning,,, walk until your feet fall off,,, then a long drive back to the ship. 

We have done the Epic to the Med 3 times. 

1 hour ago, mderaba said:

However, we did grab an extra sea day by staying on the ship when it stopped at Ephesus, Turkey, which was so nice to have the pool all to ourselves.

Ephesus of course is not the port.  (Kusadasi or Izmir, likely.)  In any event, for others reading this, touring the ruins of Ephesus is fascinating and a don't-miss imho.   Do a private tour, and be sure to include the Terrace Houses in your visit. 

Excursion days are longer often 8-10hrs. You'll visit multiple sites and have lunch included or on your own. We sailedin early September on the Epic from Barcelona and had a wonderful time in the city and on the cruise. Palma was our one beach day, but we could have had beach time in Barcelona too.

Two of our Gaudi favorites from Barcelona. 

20190831_062330.jpg

20190901_040938.jpg

Edited by Nola26

We have done four cruises that included MED ports.  There is quite a lot to see from one end to the other.

Many cruises are out of Barcelona, others out of Civi-- the port for Rome, others out of Venice (that also visit Adriatic Ports), then some out of Athens and/ Istanbul.   Not sure if any go into the Black Sea, which we did.

The Eastern Med includes the Aegean and the Greek Islands, which are great.  Cruises out of Venice  visit Split and Dubrovnik that are great.  The Western Med will have ports in Spain, France and Italy.  Port that allow you to visit Rome, Florence, Monaco, Nice, Barcelona, Cartagena, Malaga and other ports in Spain.  Some cruises go out into the Atlantic as well and visit Lisbon, Portugal, and islands like the Canary Islands and Madera.

Here are my cc reviews on all the cruises that touched on the Med, that we did.

Spain, Canary Islands and Morocco

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80907

E. Med and Adriatic, NCL Gem

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=70129

Black Sea and E. Med

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=228545

W. Med  NCL Epic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103808

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a message.

We did the 10 day Med Cruise (Greece & Italy) on the Jade last September starting in Rome and stopping in Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Crete, Malta, Sicily, Naples & Florence ending again in Rome.  We had a group of 10 and that would be my only complaint was trying to arrange a few dinner reservations for the group.  

It was very port intensive which is good and bad.  I think we all would have loved more than one port day.  I would stay on the ship in Crete since there wasn't much to do there given the hours, 7am to noon, that we were in port.  I will say that Valletta Malta was beautiful and a complete bonus to the itinerary.  We stayed in a mini suite which we have booked again on the Jewell for Alaska.  The food while not spectacular wasn't bad.  We have found in the last decade we aren't wowed on the ships we have been on, mostly Princess. 

I will say for the price, NCL is a good value, if you need everything to be superior, then possibly not for you.

I find the vibe on the Med cruise is different. You won’t find people wearing flip flops and tank tops to dinner, no drunkiness by the pool like you find on the Caribbean cruises, no lineups for shows, most people are getting ready for excursions the next morning.