A brief review for the nonagenarian demographic

sunsetsoon

Now I have a friend in Australia - one in Turkey too. How neat is that!

Before I get serious about the subject of the day - in case you forgot it's Caribbean Dinosaurs - I want to talk a little bit about blogs. It's not that I haven't heard of blogs because I am online a lot but I really don't know what a blog is. One person has suggested Floataway Lounge right here on this sight. That's a better option for me I think. I checked it out and was surprised and delighted that the first thread I saw was sid's Ay Tee El (ATL). He has no idea but he's one of the reasons I finally had the courage to start a thread of my own. I've read several of his reviews and enjoyed them a lot. He moved over to Floataway Lounge when he was urged to keep talking. That's likely what I will do too. Aprille told me she will post a link when it happens. Please don't tell her but I do know how to post a link. On the other hand, sometimes they don't work so maybe I better let a professional do it.

Good morning. It's a lovely day in Tiny Town TX. I know that's true even though it's still dark outside and I haven't checked the weather website. For us nonagenerians, just waking up makes it a lovely day. I put on my compression hose first thing, enjoyed a Fiber One muffin and have a cup of coffee beside me so all is well and we can talk about dinosaurs.

I spent some times yesterday flipping through my Jade scrapbook - let's scrap scrapbook and call it album. Made me happy. I was just a few months into my new painting hobby and was really having fun. It was even more fun when I found out I was going on a cruise. Now I had a mission - paint background pictures of all things Caribbean. I had a favorite picture completed and really, really wanted to use it in my album - even under false pretenses. I'm sure you have already figured out that the picture was dinosaurs.

Okay, I'm going to take time out and pout. I just lost a whole paragraph. Aprille will be calling in a few minutes so I will be back after we have our morning visit.

• Like 15

52 minutes ago, sunsetsoon said:

Now I have a friend in Australia - one in Turkey too. How neat is that!

Before I get serious about the subject of the day - in case you forgot it's Caribbean Dinosaurs - I want to talk a little bit about blogs. It's not that I haven't heard of blogs because I am online a lot but I really don't know what a blog is. One person has suggested Floataway Lounge right here on this sight. That's a better option for me I think. I checked it out and was surprised and delighted that the first thread I saw was sid's Ay Tee El (ATL). He has no idea but he's one of the reasons I finally had the courage to start a thread of my own. I've read several of his reviews and enjoyed them a lot. He moved over to Floataway Lounge when he was urged to keep talking. That's likely what I will do too. Aprille told me she will post a link when it happens. Please don't tell her but I do know how to post a link. On the other hand, sometimes they don't work so maybe I better let a professional do it.

Good morning. It's a lovely day in Tiny Town TX. I know that's true even though it's still dark outside and I haven't checked the weather website. For us nonagenerians, just waking up makes it a lovely day. I put on my compression hose first thing, enjoyed a Fiber One muffin and have a cup of coffee beside me so all is well and we can talk about dinosaurs.

I spent some times yesterday flipping through my Jade scrapbook - let's scrap scrapbook and call it album. Made me happy. I was just a few months into my new painting hobby and was really having fun. It was even more fun when I found out I was going on a cruise. Now I had a mission - paint background pictures of all things Caribbean. I had a favorite picture completed and really, really wanted to use it in my album - even under false pretenses. I'm sure you have already figured out that the picture was dinosaurs.

Okay, I'm going to take time out and pout. I just lost a whole paragraph. Aprille will be calling in a few minutes so I will be back after we have our morning visit.

Thank you,  sunsetsoon for the honorable mention... I'm enjoying your adventure...

• Like 10

Hey Mary.  I, too, had been skipping past your thread for days because I was reading the title wrong.  I thought you said "non-agenda" and supposed it was just an "ordinary" trip report.  But when I saw that this was eight pages long I simply had to find out why.  This is no "ordinary" trip report and was loving every page.  You have brought "JOY" (not the ship) to each and every one of us and I thank you.  Looking forward to more.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 9:48 PM, Aprille said:

I think I was born around 4:00 or 4:30am central time (Dallas). Maybe my mom remembers better than me. As she should! LOL! So we're still a few hours away but thank you for the birthday wishes.

I'm going to try to get her set up on a blog soon. Musings of a Nonagenarian. Or whatever she wants to call it.

I'm checking out cruises and leaning towards the Mexican Riveria cruises on the Bliss once the 2021 dates become available. 

We loved the Mexican Riviera cruises on the Bliss that we did in 2019 and on the Star in 2018, both in the spring.  We found NCL's excursions in these ports to be well done (we did tours rather than beach days).  On disembarkation, we do excursions from the ship to LAX because we get a tour on the way to the airport and don't have to manage luggage, and we had a great guide on the Los Angeles Overview & Farmers Market.  

On 2/21/2020 at 3:18 PM, JennVT said:

Ms. Mary I am looking forward to your next review!

Or perhaps you could start a post in the "Float-away Lounge" section of CC and do some non-cruise reviews? I know I for one would love to hear about the DQ re-model.

^^^

I was about to suggest the same thing!  

AND, I was about to ask Deedle to make/construct/whatever a meme for "I didn't let it ruin my vacation/cruse"

Since I saw her on here...

N

16 hours ago, rmandmm said:

Thank you so much!! Will do!

Another Texan here... in San Antonio, I love the River Walk, but it's nice to escape to the King William District, look at the gorgeous old homes from the early (mostly) German settlers, and then walk back to the tourist area along a much quieter stretch of the San Antonio River. While you're there, check out Boozy's Creamery is you're so inclined at 711 S St Mary's St. 

Mi Tierra is great, especially for breakfast, although I love the lights at night, too. I also like to eat at Lone Star Cafe overlooking the River Walk. I always get their fried mushrooms with cream gravy. 

Okay I'm back - and I haven't been pouting all this time. I started a load of laundry before Aprille called - we always visit for half an hour or so. Then I turn on the porch light - that's the signal for my sister and BIL to come over for conversation and coffee and to pick up his mail - yes I really do have a sister and there is a family resemblance but that's about it. My glass is always half full and her glass is empty. We can talk about that another time. I'm determined to talk about Caribbean Dinosaurs for the next few minutes. Actually, the conversation is more about cheating in your album - and I do hope many of you make albums of your vacations. They are the best souvenir ever - except maybe for the bobble head I got on the Jade but that is for another chapter. I can't seem to get focused so I will take a deep breath and try again.

Caribbean Dinosaurs

quote from my Jade album - I did a lot of online research on Caribbean birds, flowers, drinks, beaches and dinosaurs. I have to confess I found nothing on dinosaurs but this is my favorite painting so I had to get it in the album even under false pretenses. It works for me unquote.

So I immediately began plotting and planning to make it work. It would of course be a double spread. If any of you want definitions let me know but in the meantime I will talk fast. I'm getting a little tired of this subject myself. The left page was just my painting of colorful dinosaurs roaming around on an island that featured a palm tree and a volcano. I chose a real photo to use on the right hand page. It was just a small island we had sailed past - no scenery. I painted a tiny blue dinosaur on one end of the island and a tiny palm tree on the other. I painted a tiny volcano in the middle. I got lucky and found a sticker of a tiny cruise ship and affixed it at the bottom of the photo - perfect.

And then the captain made this announcement:

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. This is your captain speaking. Some of you have asked why we aren't docking at the small island on our port side. I have been advised there are hostile dinosaurs on the other side of the island so for your safety we are sailing on to Roatan. Have a nice day."

Full disclosure - I knew no one would believe this story and that was okay. I was just having fun.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

On 2/19/2020 at 9:03 PM, sunsetsoon said:

I'm feeling restless tonight. It's taking more time for my body, mind and life to get back to normal this time. I wake up each morning feeling the ship's motion. I wake up after a long nap thinking it's morning. And I find myself drinking more water than I usually do.

I have one more memory to share before I turn out the lights. Marty was really disappointed that we would be setting sail  after dark. He had looked forward to standing on the balcony and seeing all the sights as we sailed down the Mississippi. It turned out to be a good time for me. Disney has started sailing out of NO. Not sure when they started but I know TK, our driver, was surprised and didn't even know about it. We drove past the Disney dock and saw the building and the ship so it was really happening.

Marty was pouting - just a little bit - and I was urging him to not let it ruin his vacation when we heard a ship's horn - a very unique horn because it was playing "when you wish upon a star". We all rushed to the balcony and watched the Wonder sail away. It was a beautiful sight. Glenn and I were on that ship for our very first cruise. I love the happy memories I have of Glenn when I go on a cruise. We had 40 great years - never mind we were married for 67 years. They weren't all great. And this is where choices become important. I choose to remember the good times and there were lots of those. Glenn wasn't perfect but he was special. I'm not perfect either. I know because one time he said to me - quietly and not in anger - "I'm the only man in the world that would put up with you". I choose to believe that what he was really saying was "I love you".

Okay, I'm through being sentimental - at least for now. It's 9 PM in this tiny Texas town and this nonagenarian is going to bed.

I happened to find your blog and I can't quit reading it.  Same as others, laughing, crying and smiling as I read.  I sure wish you were at my dinner table on our cruise coming up around the Panama Canal.  Love your writings!

• Like 1

I'm in my jammies and ready to read for a couple of hours. Must say I'm a little disappointed I haven't heard from any scrapbookers. I have lots more to tell you about scrapbooking and probably will anyway. I took classes 25 years ago and I have really improved the way it's done. I call it "freestyle scrapbooking". Maybe that's why I like cruising on NCL ships so much. Freestyle works really well for me.

I'm going to bake muffins in the morning - about 5 AM. The wet ingredients are measured and in the fridge and the dry ingredients are measured and sitting on the cabinet. So it won't take long to throw everything together. I haven't decided whether to add bananas or orange marmalade. The recipe doesn't call for either one but I do freestyle baking too. For me, a recipe is only a suggestion.

I'm not ready to make the move to Floataway Lounge quite yet but I have decided to use the title suggested by Samstress - More musings by Ms. Mary. I added the Ms. because I like it.

I haven't been keeping up with the news lately but caught up today - not good at all. This coronavirus is really scary and will surely affect a lot of our cruising plans. But if necessary, we can just hang together here on CC and I can tell you 90 years worth of stories. Some of them will probably be true.

• Like 18

11 hours ago, sunsetsoon said:

Must say I'm a little disappointed I haven't heard from any scrapbookers. I have lots more to tell you about scrapbooking and probably will anyway. I took classes 25 years ago and I have really improved the way it's done. I call it "freestyle scrapbooking".

Good morning, Mary. I am a scrapbooker, too. I don't do it with photos and scissors and glue anymore, now I use photo book companies like MixBook or Shutterfly. I used to do paper, but I would have have to get everything out on the kitchen table and my girls wanted to "help," and it was a big fiasco. Then I went to digital scrapbooking with PhotoShop, and now I just use the resources available with the photobook companies. They have lots of backgrounds, "stickers" and embellishments or you can scan your own (or find them on the internet). 

I do a book for every cruise or vacation. Our British Isles and French Open cruise on Celebrity two years ago was over 100 pages. If my inlaws go with us, I order two copies and have one sent to them. 

JoAnn

• Like 1

Am I the only one that wants to see pictures of a Caribbean Dinosaur? Pretty Please??

Ms. Mary - I used to sell for Creative Memories, a scrapbook company. When I say sell, I really mean buy to keep my status as a seller until I gave up. I therefore have a ton of supplies & would be happy to send you some. Please message me if you're interested.

In fact, if anyone here is interested, please let me know. I am not interested in selling... I would like to give stuff away.

• Like 2