Was the President's Day Sale a real thing?

sunlover12

Last weekend O was advertising a President's Day sale on their website for select cruises.  I was interested in possibly booking one of those. I looked at the price of that particular cruise before, during and after the advertised dates.  They're the same.  The one benefit that you may have gotten was a cabin upgrade however the highest level cabin you could be upgraded to was a Concierge Veranda.  They were also advertising free O Life which should be a savings of $300 per person for a 10-day cruise.  Not true.  The price is the exact same price today as it was last weekend.

Anyone else book one of these cruises during the President's Day sale and actually get a benefit?   I'm a little disappointed in O for sneaky advertising practices. 

12 minutes ago, vlthom said:

Yes....but you could only obtain the discount by using a TA or calling O directly.  The fares were adjusted on the invoice.  And we did indeed receive a discount.  An A2 was priced as B2.

I called O directly and booked it during the "sale". I knew I was out of luck about the cabin upgrade because we like the Penthouse Suites.  That's fine, but the invoice does not show any kind of discount about the O Life.  What's very disappointing to me is that if I booked the cruise today I would not be paying one more dime than booking during this "President's Day Sale".  

1 minute ago, sunlover12 said:

I called O directly and booked it during the "sale". I knew I was out of luck about the cabin upgrade because we like the Penthouse Suites.  That's fine, but the invoice does not show any kind of discount about the O Life.  What's very disappointing to me is that if I booked the cruise today I would not be paying one more dime than booking during this "President's Day Sale".  

Is it possible that some itineraries were on sale while others that sell well were not?

Just asking.

13 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Is it possible that some itineraries were on sale while others that sell well were not?

Just asking.

There were 32 cruises that were included in this sale. I'm assuming they are cruises that don't sell well. The cruise that I booked was one of the 32.   Not every itinerary was included. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Just asking.

Bingo!!

When interested, I always call and ask my TA if there’s a special offering being made on a particular cruise in which we’re interested. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  My TA typically gives me a lot more insight into the “ Sale” than what is apparent on the website.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Just asking.

That is true.....just like when you get the weekly ads in the mail....They feature cruuses that are not selling well    Same for the " sale"

It appears all the sales I have seen are focused on the slow sellers..... and that is an ongoing  thing they disguise as a "Sale"

Good marketing.... crummy results for consumer

2 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

I got a flyer from my TA and the PH's were definitely included in the Category upgrade. We must have gotten different flyers. 

5 hours ago, ORV said:

I got a flyer from my TA and the PH's were definitely included in the Category upgrade. We must have gotten different flyers. 

If I recall the flyer stated something to the effect that not all cruises or cabin levels were included in the promo.

I wanted a PH and was told the cruise was included, but the highest upgrade was  B2 to A3 There were A1 , A2,  P1,  P2 available  and A3  which was a guarantee.  Tried another cruise and virtually the same thing except B1 to A2 guarantee was available.

It is possible that maybe one PH in all of included cruises was available when the flyer was printed.

I had another promo from a different line that was 30% off. CC boards showed in November the cruise line raised all prices by 30% and have had a continuous 30% promo labeled as a Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas, New Years... Valentines Day,  and Presidents day sale. The expiration date is always extended to the next Holiday..

I normally would not consider this line but seeing a unique itinerary in our specific time slot  I booked, not sure if I got the Valentine or Presidents Day special

• Like 1

I do think that the benefits of that offer were probably in all the extras.

I didn't call to confirm, and it was very very confusing!

But, the cruise before the one we have on consideration was included in those limited sailings.

The extras could have really added up.

And, the think I noticed is that it didn't just say. "TWO FOR ONE FARES, including round trip airfare".  The usual language.  But said specifically, in addition,  "including two for one airfare".

So, in addition to a lot of confusion, how this would have worked out if we had decided to book this, as well, as a consecutive (B2B) voyage, made it even more complex and confusing!

Our TA called us about the PD sale, and we saved almost $3,000 total on a PH on our already booked cruise, without compromising any of the benefits.  We had only minutes to decide as our TA didn't know how long the limited number of sale PHs would last.

Edited by 1985rz1

19 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

So, in addition to a lot of confusion, how this would have worked out if we had decided to book this, as well, as a consecutive (B2B) voyage, made it even more complex and confusing!

Yes, these are confusing and complex transactions with hundreds of variables and dozens of options.

Why else would the Cruise Lines pay the freight for your use of a Travel Agent who can guide you through the process?

In short, you don't need to know how to do it, you only need to know what you want!  Let the Agent guide you.😉

I do wish Oceania  would stop with the  advertising  2 for 1 fares

No one really pays 1 advertised  fare for 2 pax 

The Brochure rate is an inflated price to make you think  the actual   prices are a good deal

When did anyone actually pay the brochure rate

Another joke  is

"With OLife Choice*, our limited-time inclusive package, enjoy Roundtrip Airfare* and Free Internet plus choose one:"

This offer has been around  for many years  ..it is not "time limited " 

yes  they can with draw the offer at any time  but when was the last time they did that??

It is insulting to their  paying pax

JMO

• Like 2

Sales are often time limited and certain categories of cabins are very limited. Not hard to grasp!

Case in point are those that want to come here to ask if a particular upgrade offer “ is worth it”! Talk about it a couple of days to learn the offer is gone! 😂😂

“While supplies last” should be a presumption on every sale and every cruise.

On highly popular, once per year cruises, I’ve seen PH3 and above sell out via TA pre-sells before a cruise is actually released. The TA sometimes even had allocations and couldn’t fill all their pre-sells! What do you think happens to those that refuse to use a TA or can’t make up their mind? Always next year!

58 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I do think that the benefits of that offer were probably in all the extras.

34 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Our TA called us about the PD sale, and we saved almost $3,000 total on a PH on our already booked cruise, without compromising any of the benefits. 

I should have said that the savings were totally on the cruise fare, not only any extras.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I do wish Oceania  would stop with the  advertising  2 for 1 fares

No one really pays 1 advertised  fare for 2 pax 

The Brochure rate is an inflated price to make you think  the actual   prices are a good deal

When did anyone actually pay the brochure rate

Another joke  is

"With OLife Choice*, our limited-time inclusive package, enjoy Roundtrip Airfare* and Free Internet plus choose one:"

This offer has been around  for many years  ..it is not "time limited " 

yes  they can with draw the offer at any time  but when was the last time they did that??

It is insulting to their  paying pax

JMO

Say it ain't so.....................P T Barnum once said  " you will  never loose money underestimating the average persons intelligence"   There are still a lot of people who think of nothing buying cars and such at full list price....They are oblivious not only to the fine print...but un aware it even exists!  Other line rather than over stating the list price understate theirs that $ 399 a week cruise , when all is said and done can suddenly become $1200-1600

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Haha 1