Rome to Rome cruise

ras8336

We are planning to book a 7 night cruise for late August/early September. Although the cruise starts and ends in Rome, I'm concerned there would not be time to actually do any sightseeing in Rome unless we fly in a day or two before or stay after. Any recommendations and tips would be appreciated. As this is our first trip to Europe we'd like to keep the logistics as simple as possible. 

15 minutes ago, ras8336 said:

We are planning to book a 7 night cruise for late August/early September. Although the cruise starts and ends in Rome, I'm concerned there would not be time to actually do any sightseeing in Rome unless we fly in a day or two before or stay after. Any recommendations and tips would be appreciated. As this is our first trip to Europe we'd like to keep the logistics as simple as possible. 

I would suggest arriving at least a day or two early and / or staying a day or two after if you want to do any sightseeing in Rome.  First of all with arriving, if you are coming from the US you will want to adjust to the time difference and rest a bit from the long flight.  Most flights to Rome are overnight and you certainly don't want to arrive the morning of departure.  Most departing flights are late morning / early afternoon, which also limits any sightseeing time then.

Secondly, the cruise port is about 45 minutes away from Rome so you would have to factor that in with any plans immediately before or after the cruise for any sightseeing.  Departing and ending in Rome is just that, with no planned cruise time there to visit.  As this is your first time there and if you want to see any of the sights you should plan accordingly and spend a few days there - on either side of your trip or both - to see the sights. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

And, in reality, the port is more like 75-90 minutes from Rome.

Thanks for the correction - I underestimated. And traffic, etc. will certainly play into it.  But the point being it does not allow for good logistics first day / last day for much sightseeing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, ras8336 said:

@ras8336

Howdy and welcome to Cruise Critic! emo22.gif 

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum that is for general questions about cruising. 👍 

Since your thread concerns a specific port, I have moved your thread to the  Ports of Call - Europe - Mediterranean - Eastern & Western - Italy Ports forum where it will be on-topic. This is where all things Capri, Florence, Genoa, Naples, Palermo, Portofino, Rome, Sardinia, Sorrento, Taormina & Venice are discussed. Please browse through the thread titles on this new forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.  

Cruise Critic is a great resource and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the  Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Anytime you need to start a new thread on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry. It will help the members to have the information they need in order to help you.

Once you book your cruise, the Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before the cruise. Your fellow Roll Call members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread, especially ones that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, the Roll Call thread for your cruise is the ONLY place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other to save money. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together! emo3.gif You will receive a much better response to your share request if you take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, post an introductory post about yourself, and continue on with more posts to get to know the other members and allow them to get to know YOU first before you post your share request. That is the spirit of our Roll Calls.

To explain our Roll Calls and finding the Roll Call thread for your cruise, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful. So sorry this is such a long post, but we are so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic and just wanted to give you some of the highlights about being a member. emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic,

Most ships visit Rome as a port-of-call. The base travel time from or back to Civitavecchia is something over an hour plus faffing around time, and folk should allow an extra hour of wiggle-time for the return. 

So with up to four hours taken out of their time those on a port-of-call visit will have just 4 to 5 hours  available to spend in the Eternal City.

And that's woefully short.

If you fly in and out same-days you probably won't even see the city, other than perhaps a rail station or distant views from a private transfer.

So yes, to see Rome properly needs a cruise which starts or finishes there.

Give yourselves a minimum of two but preferably three complete days plus any residues of arrival day and disembarkation day.

Pre-cruise is usually best........

- It gives you a window if your flight out is cancelled or delayed. Missing a day in Rome is a shame, missing your cruise is a disaster.

- Jet-lag affects different folk in different ways, but can be a factor.

- Before the cruise is a great prelude to a vacation. But after a cruise, however enjoyable it was, many folk just want to get home.

That said, we've sailed many one-way cruises and enjoyed time at both pre-cruise and post-cruise ports.

And unless awkward vacation dates demand it, splitting time between pre and post-cruise in the same city is unnecessarily  complex and time-consuming.

Choose a hotel somewhere between Termini station (the cheapest central area) and the Tiber River.

Pre-book such parts of the Vatican city that you want to visit.

Also pre-book entry to the Colosseum to avoid the ticket line. But there'll still be an unavoidable security line.

Most of Rome's sights are walkable. For instance walk across the road from the Colloseum to the Forum, walk north thro the Forum and exit the Forum behind the big white  Vittorio Emmanuele monument ("the wedding cake"), where there's an exit but not an entrance. When you get to the front of Vittorio Emanuele in Piazza Venezia  you'll see why its nickname is the Wedding Cake. From here its a short distance to the Pantheon and Piazza Navone in one direction and Trevi Fountain & Spanish Steps in the other direction.

I'm a great fan of ho-ho buses.

But not in Rome.

Because of their limitations on Rome's road network they pass very very few sights. They also spend 10 - 15 minutes sat at both Termini station and the road by San Pietro Piazza.

Don't waste your time or money.

But if you like a bus over-view, consider a Rome-by-night tour

Have a great time in Rome, and a great cruise

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

7 hours ago, ras8336 said:

Any time we cruise from a port that we have to fly to, we arrive at the embarkation port at least a day early...just to avoid the stress of flight delays, missed connections, etc.  For Europe, we like to fly in at least two days early--adding to our reasons the typical long travel time and major time zone change...We like to have time to acclimate ourselves to the new time prior to starting our cruise...But, more than that, we like to fly in even a longer time before the cruise--in order to have a few days to enjoy and tour the city or region we are flying into--many cruises allow no time to actually see that embarkation or disembarkation city.

If you have never been to Rome, I really recommend flying in multiple days ahead of your cruise...

First know that the port fro Rome is located in Civitavecchia--which is a couple of hour or more drive or train trip from Rome.  For us, we also like to be at the port early00so, we head to Civitavecchia the day before the cruise and spend our last night there--to make the morning of the cruise stress-free.  Therefore, if you can afford to get to Rome (FCO airport) a few days before the cruise, I highly recommend it--For example, if you can arrive in Rome 3 nights prior to the cruise, you can spend two nights in Rome and the third in Civitavecchia, giving you a couple of days to see a little of Rome.

In Rome, I would recommend staying in the area of the Campo de Fiore/Piazza Navona/Pantheon to give you the location most central to the tourist sites.  We have stayed, of late, aty the Residenza in Farnese:

https://www.residenzafarneseroma.it/en/

It's a small hotel in this area with four stars but very reasonable prices.  Others on this board have other recommendations in this area as well.

You will need transportation from FCO airport to your hotel and from your hotel to the port in Civitavecchia,  This summer, we will be using NCC Plus shuttles:

http://www.nccplus.it/

It's a bit costlier than, say, the train...but much simpler since it's door-to-door.  Train is cheaper, but you need to deal with your luggage and with added transportation from the train station in Rome to your hotel and from hotel to train station and Civitavecchia train station to the port.  So, consider trade-offs of cost to convenience.  NCC and other companies (many mentioned on threads here) will also arrange tours in Rome if you'd rather do that than explore on your own.

If on your own, try to fit in visits to the Vatican, the Coliseum and Forum, The Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Piazza Navona along with any other sights that attract your attention doing your research.  I really recommend visiting the Piazza Navona at night.  If you stay in the area of Rome I recommend, you can easily walk to many of these sites or take a short bus ride.  The Campo de Fiore is great for reasonably priced casual restaurants with outdoor seating.

Good luck...

We stayed at the Le Quattro Dame Suites for 3 nights prior to our Holland America cruise last August (Rome roundtrip to Greece and Turkey).  The suite was spacious for my family of 4.  The location was perfect - within reasonable walking distance to The Colosseum, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Step and all the shops in that area.  There was a taxi stand just across the street and it was a short taxi ride to The Vatican.  The hotel offers shuttle services to/from airport and the port at Civitavecchia.  

This is the view of the street just outside of the entrance.

80191143_IMG_53842.thumb.JPG.0d11a3ac24f5e0209e27785686d1f22f.JPG

Walking up to the front door.

20190807_142857.thumb.jpg.e5a69cdabbeb281a96e07c993ebca97a.jpg

One of the room

20190807_161250.thumb.jpg.7069da19b87411c700316a498b5c97bc.jpg

Bedroom area of the suite (it has another queen-size sofa bed)

20190809_090746.thumb.jpg.1a657a19b983daeebc3ff6bbdbfd1254.jpg

The view looking out from the room.

• 3 weeks later...

ras8366:

October 2018 was our first trip to Europe. We stayed 3 nights pre-cruise in Rome and we were busy

tourists! I planned it out and we loved Rome! Please, stay at least 3 nights pre-cruise!

After TONS of research, we stayed in the Campo de Fiori area and loved our location. 

We took private transportation from FCO into Rome. DH basically crashed on the bed (we flew

from Washington State). for a few hours; but my Aunt and I hung out on the rooftop bar with drinks while

we enjoyed the lightening and thunderstorm. Later, we walked to dinner.

The next two days we did LOTS of touring. We are returning in September 2021

Come in early, get over your jet lag...Stay at least 3 nights in Rome before your cruise.....and if you can stay after as well think about a train to Florence and fly from there home....Or if you can stay after go to the Amalfi coast for a few days and fly out of Rome.

49 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks,   I will plan on an hour.  Have you ever stayed at a hotel near the airport?

Yes, the Hilton at the airport. Nice hotel, excellent buffet breakfast, and as the hotel is part of the airport, it doesn't get much more convenient. Recommended here frequently.

CruiserBruce; thanks I looked at the Hilton and will book it.   They have free shuttle downtown and like you mentioned; very convenient to the terminal.  Although I am flying Delta which is in terminal 5; and that terminal is separated from the rest of airport. I am a Lifetime Diamond so should be no problem getting a free breakfast. Have a great day

Edited by AF-1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

CruiserBruce; thanks I looked at the Hilton and will book it.   They have free shuttle downtown and like you mentioned; very convenient to the terminal.  Although I am flying Delta which is in terminal 5; and that terminal is separated from the rest of airport. I am a Lifetime Diamond so should be no problem getting a free breakfast. Have a great day

Since about 2 years ago, Delta is now in Terminal 3 at FCO.

Well if that is true then we can walk to the terminal from hotel.  The airport website said Delta was terminal 5;  no biggie. We will find correct terminal have several months till we deaprt

On 2/22/2020 at 4:57 AM, ras8336 said:

Are you sure that this cruise has not been canceled? Are you Italian? As far as I am concerned, Italy closed all its borders including ports. And it doesn't receive any ships either. Maybe it does not apply to its own ships and citizens. I dont know. But in any case, I am sure you will have to go through a few checks before you can get on board. Also be aware that if there are foreigners traveling with you, the ship has high chances of being denied back to Rome. Just saying    

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

Are you sure that this cruise has not been canceled? Are you Italian? As far as I am concerned, Italy closed all its borders including ports. And it doesn't receive any ships either. Maybe it does not apply to its own ships and citizens. I dont know. But in any case, I am sure you will have to go through a few checks before you can get on board. Also be aware that if there are foreigners traveling with you, the ship has high chances of being denied back to Rome. Just saying    

I am not seeing any evidence cruises are canceled out to August or September, when the OP is asking about. The furthest out cancellations I am hearing is July 1, and that is just for cruises out of Vancouver.

7 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I had a good laugh when I saw your question asking if I'm Italian! 

Anyway note that my original post is from 2/21 which is 3 weeks ago. By the way - my original question was answered satisfactorily by other posters the same day. A lot has changed since then. At that point, I believe Italy only had one virus case reported. I wouldn't (and can't) go there near term, but note that I said my plan was for a late August/early September timeframe which is 5-6 months from now. Border closings today are entirely irrelevant to that timeframe and cruises that far out are still scheduled. That said, we have not yet booked a cruise.  I do see that prices have come down over $200 per person since 2/21 for at least one itinerary/date we have been considering!