How do they know you have a drink or soda package?

erin21497

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never cruised on NCL.  My husband and I have the alcoholic beverage package and my 2 kids have the soda package.   Do they give you a card or something to scan?  Or how do they know you have the package?  For the adults, I assume it's the same card used as the room key, but do kids get a card as well?

yes, the kids have a card, and you can also think about whether or not you want your kids to be able to charge stuff to their cards.  You can set it up either way (that they have charging privileges or they don't)... but one thing to consider is the arcade. They can rack up a lot of charges pretty quickly in there, so you might chose to limit them one way or another- I never saw the benefit to not letting them charge since then they'd just have to take my card (or me) with them.  The arcade does sell an "unlimited access" pass which we've found to be a good value.  It works on all the games where you can not win a prize, or tickets for a prize. 

• Like 1

The card will say PBP (Premium Beverage Package) of if you're a raging alcoholic like me, it'll read PPBP (Premium PLUS Beverage Package).  We cruised last August when the PPBP was BRAND NEW and all the bartenders questioned it just about every time I ordered a double Woodford and Ginger....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, erin21497 said:

So the kids each get a card too?

Everyone has a key card. The most important use is to get off and on the ship where security swipes the card and verifies your identity (photo). 

It is also used to enter shows that take reservations (big ships), enter dining rooms, and make purchases. It also identifies your mister station and which lifeboat you will be in (A12 in the example below)

Any packages you have purchased (beverage, dining, spa) are printed On the card

45004A14-8A1E-4B0E-A76F-5C9BA9C89968.png

Edited by BirdTravels

7 minutes ago, erin21497 said:

Thanks to everyone for the info.  One more question -- is there a PIN number or anything you enter to charge to the card?  Just worried about one of the kids losing it and whoever picks it up can then charge stuff to my room.

No PIN number.   If you discover that you're missing a card, promptly report it, and get a replacement.  The missing one will be deactivated.   

I imagine that if you find there are some unauthorized charges as a result, you can ask to have them removed...the security camera's could reveal the identity of who used them, although I doubt that NCL would go so far as to check...

4 minutes ago, bob brown said:

No PIN number.   If you discover that you're missing a card, promptly report it, and get a replacement.  The missing one will be deactivated.   

I imagine that if you find there are some unauthorized charges as a result, you can ask to have them removed...the security camera's could reveal the identity of who used them, although I doubt that NCL would go so far as to check...

Thanks!

1 minute ago, maplevale said:

Kids key card question....

Is there somewhere we can get a hole punched?  Or should I bring a puncher?  I got us lanyards to keep the keys on - hoping it will minimize the chance of a kid loosing it :)

Guest services can punch a hole if desired.

1 hour ago, maplevale said:

Is there somewhere we can get a hole punched?  Or should I bring a puncher?  I got us lanyards to keep the keys on - hoping it will minimize the chance of a kid loosing it 🙂

What about something like this with the plastic card holder?

819GPixtO-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For anyone worried about someone making purchases on a lost card, you have your photo taken when you check in and receive your card. Any time your card is swiped, your photo pops up on the screen. So it is pretty evident if someone is using a card that does not belong to them.

That won't work on arcade games, obviously, but at bars, restaurants, shops, etc., it would be risky to use someone else's card.

Edited by JamieLogical

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

For anyone worried about someone making purchases on a lost card, you have your photo taken when you check in and receive your card. Any time your card is swiped, your photo pops up on the screen. So it is pretty evident if someone is using a card that does not belong to them.

That won't work on arcade games, obviously, but at bars, restaurants, shops, etc., it would be risky to use someone else's card.

Didn’t realize there is a picture attached, that makes me feel better!  Thx

9 hours ago, maplevale said:

Is there somewhere we can get a hole punched?  Or should I bring a puncher?  I got us lanyards to keep the keys on - hoping it will minimize the chance of a kid loosing it 🙂

Unless you're on Bliss, Joy, or Encore there will be a hole punch at guest services. You cannot punch the cards on Bliss, Joy, and Encore as they are RFID. So if you are on getaway too, then yes the cards can be punched. 

• Like 1

Tell your kids to show the card and tell the bartender i have soda package but do not give them the card. They do not have to put soda on their computer billing so they do not need to surrender their key cards. Many cards are mishandle and i have had bartenders put in can of soda which is not on the package and they will charge your key card.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, erin21497 said:

What about something like this with the plastic card holder?

819GPixtO-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

These are fine, but you will really want to get your card punched and not put in the pouch, as you have to swipe your card for every drink and for dinner and such.  Total pain in the butt to take out every time.  My suggestion is to get one that has a break away clip, trust me, it's better than either unclipping the card, or taking the lanyard off over your head.

61e%2BW-sJXCL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Edited by YankeesFan4Life
  • Like 1