Tipping $ 35.- per day per crew member

weix

I just did the math out of curiosity.   we are tipping $ 14.5 per passenger per day.    lets take the osterdam 1964 passengers tip $14.5 per day  that makes  $ 28478.-  per day.  divided by  812 crew members equals $ 35.- per day.   this is including the captain and officers.   have i got this wrong ?

weix

25 minutes ago, weix said:

have i got this wrong ?

It's my understanding that no officers are included in the pool.  Also, I believe, but am not positive, that the pool is only for the Hotel Department, and not engineering, security, etc.  Third, the beverage staff have a separate pool funded by the 15% service charge, so they are not included in the general pool.

BTW, many of the stewards work a 10 hour day and their base salary is very small. Would you work for $3.50 an hour 7 days a week?

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, weix said:

I just did the math out of curiosity.   we are tipping $ 14.5 per passenger per day.    lets take the osterdam 1964 passengers tip $14.5 per day  that makes  $ 28478.-  per day.  divided by  812 crew members equals $ 35.- per day.   this is including the captain and officers.   have i got this wrong ?

Without commenting on your math, I thought that the officers, (including the Captain), were NOT included in the distribution of the gratuities!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, catl331 said:

It's my understanding that no officers are included in the pool.  Also, I believe, but am not positive, that the pool is only for the Hotel Department, and not engineering, security, etc.  Third, the beverage staff have a separate pool funded by the 15% service charge, so they are not included in the general pool

my understanding is the same as Carol's.

I don't begrudge the crew one dime of what our HSC is.  they work hard and long days and earn every bit of it.

• Like 6

A Cruise Critic article on gratuities.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

A couple of years ago I had a conversation with a cabin attendant (different cruise line) and he said he had turned down an opportunity to work on with one of the premium cruise lines. Although he would receive a higher salary in lieu of tips, he would actually end up taking home less money - this was because tips were not taxable !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weix said:

have i got this wrong ?

Another thing you've got wrong is your assumption that the pool is divided equally among those eligible. Actually the cabin stewards and MDR waiters get about 35% of the pool each, and 30% goes to the "back of the house" people.   So each cabin is paying their stewards about $10 per day, and each 2-man team has about 30 cabins to tend to. $300/day, or $150/man, or $15/hour.

Edited by catl331

5 hours ago, weix said:

weix

Are you trying to say every single worker on the ship is in the tipping pool?  Officers?  Stage performers?  Wipers and oilers in the engineering department?  Yes, I think you have that wrong.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Are you trying to say every single worker on the ship is in the tipping pool?  Officers?  Stage performers?  Wipers and oilers in the engineering department?  Yes, I think you have that wrong.  

I think concession workers such as in the photo gallery and the spa are also excluded, but I don't know if they and the entertainers are included in the 812 figure in the first place. I think they are not counted.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, weix said:

weix

So the captain is receiving about $12,775/yr as his salary?  LOL...yep, lots of details are missing.

12 hours ago, twodjs said:

Weix, if we use the $15 / hour figure calculated by catl321, what was your purpose in starting this thread?

The purpose of the ridiculous posting is to provide an opportunity to gnaw over the tips/gratuities topic for the weekend.  I’m a little guilty now so I’ll stop.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kiwirick said:

Maybe the cruise lines should be paying their employees a decent wage so that they don’t have to rely on tips to survive.

Maybe the cruise lines should double your cruise fare to cover that decent living wage so they don't have to rely on tips to survive. (Remember that a cruise line employee who receives tips gets to keep them. A cruise line employee who receives a decent wage has to pay income tax on earnings - so the cruise line will need to pay him more - from your cruise fare.)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, catl331 said:

I think concession workers such as in the photo gallery and the spa are also excluded, but I don't know if they and the entertainers are included in the 812 figure in the first place. I think they are not counted.

I thought photo gallery and spa persons were contracted, not actually cruise line employees.  I know its that way on several lines....not sure about HAL though.  

52 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I thought photo gallery and spa persons were contracted, not actually cruise line employees.

Right.  That's what a concession is.  Likewise the doctor in the infirmary, and I believe the nurses are not HAL employees.

Edited by catl331