Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

3 minutes ago, arabrab said:

Might they need to re-supply food/other supplies?  I imagine that they had supplies arranged for San Fransisco before the infection was noted. How many days of extra supplies do they carry? 

Good point. We just have to wait and see.

42 minutes ago, arabrab said:

Might they need to re-supply food/other supplies?  I imagine that they had supplies arranged for San Fransisco before the infection was noted. How many days of extra supplies do they carry? 

They should have plenty of food...ships travel with several days’ extra provisions in case of emergencies.

https://abc7news.com/health/live-coronavirus-updates-princess-cruise-ship-moving-closer-to-ca-due-to-sick-passenger/5906450/

The Grand Princess cruise ship with 21 confirmed cases of coronavirus is moving closer to the coast of California. In video obtained by ABC7, the captain can be heard saying the ship will move 20 miles off the coast of San Francisco south the Farallon Islands due to a sick passenger. He goes on to say that the Coast Guard has been notified about this situation and there could be a possible airlift tonight.

9 hours ago, chipmaster said:

The Diamond just went thru this, hope the leadership in the US and Princess learned a thing or two, but data from Diamond pretty much says isolation on the ship was total failure

I don't think that can be concluded yet, at least as far as passengers are concerned.

Yes, as time went on more and more positive cases were reported, but these were tests that were done for the first time. It is not as if they tested negative on day 5 and then positive on day 12. They just were not tested at all until later in the quarantine period.

So as more tests were run for the first time, more positives were identified. It is impossible to know if they had been infected before or after the start of the quarantine.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kathy49 said:

bear in mind only 45 were tested so that is really high %...same crew that are preparing the meal. Not great.

Many of those tested were those who had already presented some symptoms.

So not a surprise that a number of people showing symptoms did indeed test positive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

So the ship returned on 2/21. The average incubation period is 5 days and these folks are all just getting sick now, 14 days later. This sucker can really hang on. Looks like a 14 days incubation for them.

They are just getting tested now. We do not know how long they had symptoms.

8 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

The President said "If it were up to me, I would be inclined to say leave everybody on the ship for a period of time and you use the ship as your base"

He further explained that if they came ashore, then the USA count of infected would increase, but by remaining on the ship they would not be counted as USA infected.

In other words, do what is needed to keep the on shore total down no matter what might be best of those on the ship.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, maizer said:

I know nothing about ships, is there a reason the ship is using fuel to go in circles rather than anchoring down?

The ship is more stable (and passengers much more comfortable) if it is going a minimum of about 11 knots than if it is sitting dead in the water.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maizer said:

I know nothing about ships, is there a reason the ship is using fuel to go in circles rather than anchoring down?

The ship is more stable (and passengers much more comfortable) if it is going a minimum of about 11 knots than if it is sitting dead in the water.

3 hours ago, maizer said:

The ocean's around 2000ft deep where they are.    That would need a loooong anchor cable (typically 3x the depth, so 6000ft!)

Most ships can only anchor 50-200ft max.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

But I don't know how they are getting tests done...and if there's a way for people to self-administer tests and leave them to be taken (and if we'd trust them to do them correctly)...

Quite unlikely. The tube (or whatever it is) needs to be inserted up a nostril to where it can then point down towards the back of the throat at which point a sample is taken. It is not painful, but it is not pleasant.

I suspect on specially trained medical personnel can do this correctly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Worst scenario...If only 1 lab used and taking 6 hrs for a test, equates to 875 days, long time to be in a cabin.  We don't even want to think about that.  

They can run multiple tests at the same time, so the 6 hours would be for what ever that number of simultaneous tests is.

It would still take a number of such simultaneous tests.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leongcpa said:

Yeah, it looks that way to me, too. I think they realize speed is of the essence and the closest deepwater port is San Francisco. I wonder if they are thinking of docking in Alameda.

If they are headed to San Francisco, it is to offload those who have tested positive so they can get to a hospital. Special tests for this have been set up at the normal cruise ship pier.

After any such unloading (and possible loading of various supplies) the ship would go back to sea and then to whereever the Feds have determined the other passengers can be offloaded.

5 hours ago, lostchild said:

To me, it seems wrong to treat the crew differently than the passengers.  To Princess, the crew are employees and passengers are customers, but to the United States, they should be just people on the ship.   Not sure how they could justify the difference in treatment.   I guess they could say that most of the passengers are Americans and most of the crew are not Americans...

Some of the crew must continue to work to keep the ship running as well as to provide various services (such as meals) for the confined passengers. They cannot be confined to their cabins like the passengers are.

Crew quarters are also smaller which makes it harder to isolate them.

4 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

What, specifically, should the US government have done differently at this point? And why should the government be responsible for this?

a) Geared up to be able to test hundreds of thousands (or more) people for the virus.

b) Arranged for the number of N95 maska that might be needed

c) Prepare quarantine facilities on land to handle thousands of people

d) Appoint someone to be in charge who is a medical professional with an epidemiological or other appropriate background. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2