Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

Could California refuse to let the ship dock?  Or, can the Federal Government override the state?  I don't know how many remember the story of the St Louis in 1939 where Jewish refugees were forbidden to dock in Florida and were sent back to Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

I suspect this will be the Grands last voyage, I can't see how Princess would continue on with this old ship.

Maybe better to cut your losses and mothball this ship as the stigma of this episode will remain etched with many future cruisers.

Why?  They will do a complete sanitizing of this ship before next cruise will occur.  The virus can only live so long without people as carriers.  Yes, I agree it will probably be awhile before they use her again and will have to cancel many upcoming cruises, but mothball her? I have a cruise on her booked for June, 2021, and look forward to our trip.

Pooh

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Perhaps this is the person they took off the ship already? I sure hope so.

I think they also took a couple off?

reports from some on the ship on  twitter suggest she has.  but no idea what impact this will have on her getting the next chemo soon, as I imagine they will have to make sure she is not habouring the virus before starting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, I do NOT understand the folks in panic because they're going to run out of their medications today. Why would anyone go on a trip without a few extra days of important medications? That is foolish in the extreme even without COVID19 issues. Lots of things can delay a return to port. 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, npcl said:

could be, but now no efforts at all to limit uri on board. you would not catch everyone but you could get early indication of a problem, potentially limiting spread.

Exactly. Of course you are not going to catch everyone who may get sick but any identification of illness certainly helps rather than hurts.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, arabrab said:

OK, I do NOT understand the folks in panic because they're going to run out of their medications today. Why would anyone go on a trip without a few extra days of important medications? That is foolish in the extreme even without COVID19 issues. Lots of things can delay a return to port. 

A lot of people think that the ship has a huge pharmacy, and some of these people often don't bring enough of their medications, even when there is not a possible epidemic at hand.

• Like 3

Seems like trucks and trailers full of provisions for what would have been the Grands next cruise is pulling up to the terminals in San Francisco.

Sigh. Wonder what will happen to all those food and supplies...

Edited by maizer

27 minutes ago, npcl said:

could be, but now no efforts at all to limit uri on board. you would not catch everyone but you could get early indication of a problem, potentially limiting spread.

With your apparent exposure concerns on board, are you now in self quarantine?

2 hours ago, Pegasus2 said:

The guy who served my drink touched the rim of the mug and put the spoon directly on the counter.

The person serving you was poorly trained/educated. You should have refused to accept that drink and explained why.

Pence said that the ship will dock at a non-commercial port (but did not say when or where) and all of the passengers and crew will be tested. Those who are positive will be quarantined as necessary. Those who are ill will be treated.

But he did not say that anyone would or would not be allowed to leave the ship

• Like 2

1 hour ago, npcl said:

yep a system would not need you to disclose anything, only that you have been cleared. And that would only need to be available to ship.

otherwise let's just continue with no process to contain on ship until all countries shut down cruises.

What ship to you get off today that appeared to have sick passengers disembarking at port?  Sorry I couldn't find your original post

2 minutes ago, caribill said:

Pence said that the ship willdock at a non-commercial port and all of the passengers and crew will be tested. Those who are positive will be quarantined as necessary. Those who are ill will be treated.

He said that yesterday, goodness knows what is taking them so long. 

Edited by debsjc
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, caribill said:

Pence said that the ship willdock at a non-commercial port and all of the passengers and crew will be tested. Those who are positive will be quarantined as necessary. Those who are ill will be treated.

Maybe this time they decided to tell passengers on grand before announcing their status on tv

• Like 1

2 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

I suspect this will be the Grands last voyage, I can't see how Princess would continue on with this old ship.

Maybe better to cut your losses and mothball this ship as the stigma of this episode will remain etched with many future cruisers.

There is absolutely no reason to take The Grand out of commission.   The virus won't live on the ship without people and it will be easily decontaminated.  It is PEOPLE that are the problem, not the ship.

We have sailed on her 3 times, the last time on the 15 day SF to Hawaii and back cruise.  We love her!  We are booked to sail on her to Alaska 5/30 of this year.  

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

And, just what would you have wanted him to say?  

a) Where and when the ship would be allowed to dock

b) That testing kits are available and when the results of those tests would be available by

c) What will happen to the passengers that test negative -- will they be allowed to leave the ship and go home or leave the ship and be held somewhere on land or be forced to stay on the ship for ?? days

• Like 8

Just now, caribill said:

b) That testing kits are available and the resultrs of those tests would be available by ???

c) What will hapen to the passengers that test negative -- will they be allowed to leave the ship and go home or leave the ship and be held somewhere on land or be forced to stay on the ship for ?? days

Perhaps those logistics haven't been determined yet.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

Perhaps those logistics haven't been determined yet.  

Earlier this week we were told that would be one result of the meeting.

At the very least he could have said that has yet to be determined instead of not mentioning it at all.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

There is absolutely no reason to take The Grand out of commission.   The virus won't live on the ship without people and it will be easily decontaminated.  It is PEOPLE that are the problem, not the ship.

We have sailed on her 3 times, the last time on the 15 day SF to Hawaii and back cruise.  We love her!  We are booked to sail on her to Alaska 5/30 of this year.  

The Grand is a fine ship. Much nicer design than some of the newer ships in the fleet. Has a real promenade, indoor swimming pool, window suites, IC, Alfredo's, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caribill said:

b) That testing kits are available and when the results of those tests would be available by

c) What will happen to the passengers that test negative -- will they be allowed to leave the ship and go home or leave the ship and be held somewhere on land or be forced to stay on the ship for ?? days

For a) perhaps they don’t want to announce it so the press doesn’t go camp out there.  As for c) that decision probably rides on the results of further testing.  Based on the numbers there could be several different plans.

Just now, caribill said:

Earlier this week we were told that would be one result of the meeting.

At the very least he could have said that has yet to be determined instead of not mentioning it at all.

It was said they are still talking (negotiating?) with CA governor so obviously not yet decided.

I think it should be taken out of the hands of a local official.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, maizer said:

Seems like trucks and trailers full of provisions for what would have been the Grands next cruise is pulling up to the terminals in San Francisco.

Sigh. Wonder what will happen to all those food and supplies...

Are the trucks still there?

VP Pence could have said:

The Grand Princess will be docked at ???? Location.

Testing of all passengers and crew will start this  afternoon.

Dr “yet to be identified” will coordinate all aspects of care for the Grand Princess

passengers and crew. 

Dr “yet to be identified” will determine the safe dis-embarkation of passengers when appropriate.

I was hoping for this type of press conference.

• Like 4