Cruising soon? What EXTRA things are you packing?

MaryBethV

14 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

Great idea!  I do have Thieves hand sanitizer but I'm always looking for a good DIY substitute if I can't get the original.  I have the DIY Thieves spray ready to go along with several other Thieves items. 

Thanks.  I'm a chemist so I tend to make/formulate a number of items rather than purchasing them.

• Like 2

I

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

not packing, but if we were going on a cruise where we added BEST2DG - we would be stocking plenty of water/fuzzy water and beers in our room and maxing out the "15" from day one ...🤑

Stocking up might not be a bad idea just in case... If one has the beverage package as a perk and then gets stuck in a quarantine I wonder if they still honor the perk. In any case it doesn't work for room service and I don't suppose the bars remained open.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adam7392 said:

I realize that you are adding some levity to the situation, but if I had to wear such an item on a cruise, I would definitely cancel! 🤦🏻‍♀️😳😉

• Like 3

9 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Make your own hand sanitizer.  One can still find the supplies in stock.  2/3 cup isopropyl alcohol (99%), 1/3 cup aloe vera and 10 drops of essential oil (optional).  It needs to be at least 65% alcohol to be effective so if you can only find 91% alcohol you need to adjust the quantities accordingly.

In our area, this must have become common knowledge because both ingredients are widely sold out. I got the last quart of high-percent iso-alcohol and a pint of After-Sun (aloe vera with a little lidocaine, so my hands may get a little numb).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, travellover39 said:

A digital thermometer and airborne for immune support especially if your flying.

We take the airborne daily already (DH had a cold last week that I managed to not get - so yay!) and will take extra on our cruise.

Extra batteries
Games to play in the cabin - like board games, or cards
Extra toiletries 
Comfortable clothes for sitting around in 
Snacks, like nuts & candy
Downloaded music & moves onto your laptops 

• Like 1

Basic cold/flu meds including cough syrup & pain relievers. My husband caught the flu this past September on a 16 day Crown Princess transatlantic. He was sick for the last 8 days. They gave him Tamiflu for 5 days at a cost of $125 which didn't seem to do much plus $18 for 12 generic Tylenol  and $24 for a small bottle of cough syrup ( a brand from the dollar store). We have learned our lesson about bringing the basics!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LidoLiz said:

When you wipe down/disinfect your airline tray table, arm rests, window shade, etc., don't forget the area that NEVER gets cleaned -- inside the lever pull on your seatbelt, where countless fingers have been!  Easy to overlook.

EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!!     Thank you very much!!!

• Like 1

My wife and I would probably pack an extra suitcase just full of underwear! 😉 Our next few cruises are out of San Pedro, so we can drive up and there is plenty of room in the back of the car. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MaryBethV said:

In light of the Coronavirus and the POSSIBILITY of being quarantined, are you packing anything extra? We are traveling with our two teenagers next month for Spring Break and taking a cruise out of Florida. Our plan is 'no panic, but be prepared'.

Some extra things on my list since our last cruise are:

• more Clorox Peroxide wipes (can kill Noro virus - not sure about Corona) than normal
  • latex-style gloves
  • extra meds (over the counter and any prescription)
  • protein bars
  • both DH and I are bringing our laptops
  • extra reading materials

I'd love to know what other cruisers would suggest. 

If you’re cruising with your 2 teenagers and are worried about being quarantined, you should bring ear plugs or head phones of some sort so you don’t have to listen to the bickering. Also a WiFi plan so they can keep in touch with their friends lol. 

Edited by cruze610
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh dear .. just seen this thread.  Now I know why we won’t be cruising in the near future! 
To be on a ship in such close proximity to thousands of others is really not the best way to avoid coming into contact with the virus.  We have always looked forward to our cruises .. well over 50... but right now can’t imagine contemplating getting on a floating prison.  All the bottles of hand sanitizers won’t prevent you breathing in airborne spread of the virus. Wish you all safe travels but guess the majority of those booked would prefer not to go if given the option.  

6 hours ago, polmcs said:

My wife and I would probably pack an extra suitcase just full of underwear! 😉 Our next few cruises are out of San Pedro, so we can drive up and there is plenty of room in the back of the car. 

Now, THIS is a good idea!

Also, the I don't usually bring my laptop with me, but in this case, I may make an exception. We are a family of healthcare workers, so we have masks, but I am reluctant to bring them. I think they make others nervous and they won't protect us anyway. In fact, the virus can land on the mask and you can spread it as you take it off. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Oh dear .. just seen this thread.  Now I know why we won’t be cruising in the near future! 
To be on a ship in such close proximity to thousands of others is really not the best way to avoid coming into contact with the virus.  We have always looked forward to our cruises .. well over 50... but right now can’t imagine contemplating getting on a floating prison.  All the bottles of hand sanitizers won’t prevent you breathing in airborne spread of the virus. Wish you all safe travels but guess the majority of those booked would prefer not to go if given the option.  

Thanks for this post. Really helpful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Its not how the virus travels. You meet way more people at home than on ship. Unless you are travelling to Asia or smth I dont see a problem. The Europe is "clean". Some viruses break outs here and there dont speak for the entire Europe. Just dont spend too much time in crowded places, wash your hands n stuff and you should be alright. You have higher chances of getting hit by a car than getting a virus (corona virus). Dont trust media also. They try to make it a thing while its not. Choose your routes wisely and make sure to have med. kit with you just in case of anything and you should be alright

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Its not how the virus travels. You meet way more people at home than on ship. Unless you are travelling to Asia or smth I dont see a problem. The Europe is "clean". Some viruses break outs here and there dont speak for the entire Europe. Just dont spend too much time in crowded places, wash your hands n stuff and you should be alright. You have higher chances of getting hit by a car than getting a virus (corona virus). Dont trust media also. They try to make it a thing while its not. Choose your routes wisely and make sure to have med. kit with you just in case of anything and you should be alright

Yes but I don't have such close associations with people that live near me. I don't eat meals with them, sit next to them, share an elevator with them breathing on the back of my head, sit on a show longe for an hour while someone next to me is coughing,  etc. 

To me there a hugh difference between the two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruze610 said:

If you’re cruising with your 2 teenagers and are worried about being quarantined, you should bring ear plugs or head phones of some sort so you don’t have to listen to the bickering. Also a WiFi plan so they can keep in touch with their friends lol. 

Now there is someone with solid advice! (We actually do have the 4 device WIFI package and we have trouble getting them to take OUT their ear pods - so I think we will be good.) 

7 hours ago, polmcs said:

Yes! Might even be worth the luggage fee for us. 😂 (joking... will probably just bring some detergent)

3 hours ago, seapals2 said:

I understand this is the way some people feel for various reasons. However, we are looking on the bright side and still (even with the current revised cancellation policy) planning on our trip. Again, our policy is "no panic, just be prepared". There is no reason to panic in our case - honestly the facts just don't support it since the areas we are traveling from/to are not high risk at all and we are not at higher risk because of age or underlying health factors either. We do realize this could change over the next few weeks and really appreciate the options Princess has given us. The options alone really reduce any stress.

Please keep this thread positive and HELPFUL to other cruisers. There have been many great things listed about positive things we can DO/BRING. Thank you!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Just went to the Dollar Tree this morning.  They had digital thermometers for $1.  Picked up a couple to give to folks as well as put in our first aid kit.

Just as an FYI - several months ago while I was babysitting my infant granddaughter (her twin was in the hospital with a high fever), my stepdaughter picked up a digital thermometer from the dollar store for me. It was horribly inaccurate and was registering temps well below normal. We ended up buying one from a pharmacy. 

Perhaps your dollar store ones will perform better but after our experience I realized that when it comes to items that are essential to be accurate, it is worth spending the money.

42 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Just as an FYI - several months ago while I was babysitting my infant granddaughter (her twin was in the hospital with a high fever), my stepdaughter picked up a digital thermometer from the dollar store for me. It was horribly inaccurate and was registering temps well below normal. We ended up buying one from a pharmacy. 

Perhaps your dollar store ones will perform better but after our experience I realized that when it comes to items that are essential to be accurate, it is worth spending the money.

Agree.  I calibrate all thermometers (must be the scientist in me!) before I use them.  Dollar Tree, Target, meat, candy—always check to see how accurate they are and adjust accordingly.  Health (and my grandmother’s penuche recipe!) is too important not to.

Thanks for the caution.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Agree.  I calibrate all thermometers (must be the scientist in me!) before I use them.  Dollar Tree, Target, meat, candy—always check to see how accurate they are and adjust accordingly.  Health (and my grandmother’s penuche recipe!) is too important not to.

Thanks for the caution.

We would have to start a new thread but I would love to learn how to calibrate a thermometer - I am definitely not a scientist. I didn't even know you could do that!

• Like 1

Hand sanitizer is out everywhere!  I did find some at the check out lane at Walmart and on the register at Aldi.

We usually take a few days extra of prescription pills but will take 2 weeks more now.  And I will also take containers or a picture of the labels so that I have the dosage and strength.

• Like 2

The above suggestions are very good.  We will try to bring them as a prevention way.  Also, tea bags regular or with ginger to make hot drink because hot drink is good for your throat or that kind of illness (David Abel mentioned in one of his video)or can get some from the buffet before they ran out.

Edited by ChattTenn

3 hours ago, palolake said:

We usually take a few days extra of prescription pills but will take 2 weeks more now.  And I will also take containers or a picture of the labels so that I have the dosage and strength.

I have had issues with this in the past. My prescriptions don't all run out at the same time even though I take them all every day. I have tried to get them all on the same schedule - Walgreens has called me several times to ask if I want to do so - but it has never happened. I can't always be certain of having an extra 2 weeks of meds available. It makes me crazy. Every time we go on vacation - which is at least twice a year - I have to deal with this stupidity.

• Like 1