Likelihood of Princess modifying their cancel policy

jat1977

2 minutes ago, cynbar said:

Jat1977, your post asks for our opinions on what we would do in your situation. If it were me, I would cancel now and ensure getting 25% back. But I have to say , I don't understand why you posted looking for support of the idea that Princess should either refund your money or give you a future cruise credit for the full amount. Why would they do that, when you had a chance to purchase CFAR insurance but chose not to? The cruise you would take in the future precludes them from selling the cabin to a paying customer. Just think of the numbers involved if they let anyone cancel with a full cruise credit. This isn't meant to be snarky, it's just a fact. Anyone who books has the option to forego insurance, purchase regular travel insurance, or buy a CFAR policy. Anything less, you take your chances.

I didn't ask for a refund or a future cruise credit. I simply asked what was the likelihood that Princess would follow what the other cruise lines were doing in that regard.  Before I even posted we were well aware that we will lose 75% of our money at this point if we were to cancel, and we have accepted that.  But now the decision becomes whether to get back the remaining 25% or risk losing it to see if Princess modifies its policies.  Because if we take the 25% now, and Princess subsequently decides to allow modifications or cancellations but only for those who have not yet cancelled, then we are in a worse position than if we had waited. 

I certainly don't *expect* anything.  I just wanted opinions on the chances of that ^^ happening as we decide what to do. 

Am I supportive of the idea that Princess could make some accommodations for people without CFAR under these extreme circumstances? Absolutely.  It doesn't have to mean without ANY penalty (i.e. maybe offer a partial credit) and it doesn't even have to be for me.  I'm more concerned about people who are high-risk, like my parents. It would certainly earn Princess a lot of goodwill.

From the business perspective, yes I understand that a future cruise credit would "remove" an otherwise paid for cabin.  However Princess can and likely is selling cabins from cancellations currently. I personally know 2 ppl who are in the process of booking cruises due to low prices (assuredly the result of the virus scare). So some money is being recouped there.  Not to mention that when a company goes "above and beyond" for customers, that almost always leads to repeat business.  The converse is also true, if a company does nothing for their customers while other companies in the same industry offer more, well....people have choices in what companies to do business with.  Again, I am not saying that I or anyone else is entitled to it.  Just offering a reason why I think it could make good business sense for them in the long run. 

• Like 3

It is very unlikely that we will take our cruise in April, but like the previous poster, we are not going to cancel until the dust clears a bit and perhaps Princess changes their policy.  Good chance we just won't show up to check in....but we'll see what happens in the next 30-40 days.

3 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

You are incorrect. Princess insurance is not available to anyone booking after final payment date.

Not true at all.....

If you book a cruise after the traditional final payment date, you have pay the entire payment when the reservation is made so you have to purchase the insurance as part of the cruise fare now, and pay everything now, there is no separate deposit and then final payment.   I did the "mock" reservation today as if I was booking today, and it allowed me to add the insurance in the Options section for putting together the reservation for total pricing since it was a new reservation.  Your statement is true for reservations made earlier, where you make a deposit, and then at some time later, make the final payment.  After final payment date for a specific cruise, everything on new reservations becomes the "final payment", 100% due upon making the reservation. 

We do this all the time, we don't typically book until after the traditional final payment date to take advantage of pricing sales trying to fill the cruise.  On new reservations, you still always have the opportunity to purchase the protection no matter how close to the cruise you purchase the cabin, as long as the cruise is still open for new reservations.

I have attached a screen print of the "mock" reservation I made today as the example, note the Hold Until Date of March 6 for my April 11 cruise, note on the right side the inclusion of the Vacation Protection in the amount of $387.66.

Not trying to argue the point, but it was valid and correct, you can add princess Vacation Protection on "new reservations" that are made after the final payment date has passed.  You are correct in that you can't add it onto an existing reservation after final payment date on reservations initially made before the final payment date.854497466_2020-03-05(1).jpg.214f5db22d8c4ad4122ecb58f89f1814.jpg

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

what is interesting is supposedly people with cancel for any reason insurance from Princess are 100% protected & the insurance fee is  cheap  comapred to wht you paid . The unfortunate part of regular trip insurance is that   pandemics & this corona virus are not covered reasons  . 

We cancelled 2  ,B2B cruises & got penalized almost $1200  .I will at some time go back to Princess & see if they will credit me that money on a future cruise .Should they deny me ,it is simple I &  others will never cruise with Princess or any other Carnival cruise line . It is all about character

2 questions:

(1) did you buy Platinum Insurance through Princess? If from a different company it sounds like your dispute is with them

(2) how did Princess not live up to their part of the contract? How were you led to think that Princess / CCL would cover insurance deductible when pax decided to not travel due to health concerns?

I understand why you cancelled.  If I were your age I might have done the same. 

Edited by Ombud

23 minutes ago, CHB007 said:

Not true at all.....

I know you are not trying to argue...and neither am I....but that policy you can purchase after final payment is not the same policy. Or it least it hasn’t been in the past.  It does not include the  cancellation provisions and only covers on trip sorts of coverage such as medical.  Now, if they have upped the coverages in the last year or so, great, but last time I checked on this it is not the same policy.  If you can find something different, I will happily stand corrected.

Edited by cherylandtk
ETA-I do recognize that adding insurance at post final is a ‘new’ option on the website, so I hope it’s an actual upgrade in coverage...but the main policy posted on the website specifically restricts it to pre-final purchase.

Just got off the phone with Princess, they said the 25% will go back as a future cruise credit while the tax, port and expenses will go back to your credit card.  Is this correct?  I was hoping the 25% will go back to your credit card as well.  Thanks.

Royal just updated their policy effective tomorrow. I snipped all the port  temperature policies out.

If it is decided that we must unfortunately deny you boarding, you’ll receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any precruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment.

And, if for any reason, you happen to have a fever before your cruise, we kindly ask you to not come to the port. Please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately and we will happily provide you with a credit for future travel.

So that's proactive in getting sick people to stay home and better than losing money and much better for those of us that use CSR for insurance. Hopefully other lines in the industry follow soon with some method to keep sick people home.

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

If you can find something different, I will happily stand corrected.

Interesting.  Never thought there might be  different policies.  To check for my own knowledge and education, I went back into the reservation system again just now and did the same mock reservations.  I selected the Platinum coverage (we are elite) and clicked on the "View Details" for the coverage, and it showed the same information as you see for the coverages on an existing reservation, and the first item on the page is the CFAR policy details,  which are:

Any Reason Cruise Credits
Reimbursement provided in the form of future travel credits if cancellation reason doesn't qualify for a cash refund.

Always willing to learn, glad I checked it out just to make sure.  Seems to be the same coverage unless I missed something.  That is what is good about these forums, always learning or verifying information.

40 minutes ago, jat1977 said:

But now the decision becomes whether to get back the remaining 25% or risk losing it to see if Princess modifies its policies.  Because if we take the 25% now, and Princess subsequently decides to allow modifications or cancellations but only for those who have not yet cancelled, then we are in a worse position than if we had waited. 

Personally, unless you're in a suite and that 25% is a significant number, if it were me, I'd hold out. That's my personal opinion on what I'd personally do. If I were in 50% penalty or could perhaps get 75% back now, the decision might be different, but 25% isn't that much unless your cruise fare is high. I'm facing a similar decision, and that's how I'm leaning. In some ways, I feel like we're playing a game of chicken with the cruise line; however, I think there is nothing nefarious or reckless either on their part - I think they're trying to make the best possible decisions with the least possible losses in an impossible situation.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

It is very unlikely that we will take our cruise in April, but like the previous poster, we are not going to cancel until the dust clears a bit and perhaps Princess changes their policy.  Good chance we just won't show up to check in....but we'll see what happens in the next 30-40 days.

This.  We are in the exact same position for our April cruise.  There is almost no chance we will actually go.  We are just rolling the dice in the off chance Princess changes the cancellation policy.  

• Like 2

I do think Princess should offer the option of future cruise credits. Normally, I agree with the argument that one should buy cruise insurance. But we are dealing with an unprecedented public health crisis, and Princess has proven not once but twice that they cannot guarantee their passengers' safety with regard to this epidemic. To encourage people who are in a high-risk group (elderly, compromised immune systems) to travel, or to take their money if they are too afraid to go, is simply unconscionable. 

In addition, these decisions have a public health impact -- if people are infected on the ship they can infect others when they disembark. The governor of California has declared a state of emergency due to Covid-19 and the public cannot afford to allow Princess to be cavalier about public health and safety. There are many other airlines, hotels and cruise lines that are waiving cancellation fees because it is the right thing to do given these exceptional circumstances.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, rjp6902 said:

This.  We are in the exact same position for our April cruise.  There is almost no chance we will actually go.  We are just rolling the dice in the off chance Princess changes the cancellation policy.  

Ditto

I too am on the March 15 Regal sailing. I did not purchase travel insurance and should something have happened to my health that would not allow me to sail, I was prepared to take the financial hit. While I believe that Princess has little to no control over the Corona Virus situation, I do believe that they have control over the cleanliness of their ships and the potential for this to exacerbate any viral outbreak should it occur. This inspection appears to have just occurred on February 5, 2020:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/02/articles/disease/regal-princess-flunks-usph-sanitation-inspection/

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/cruise-ship-failed-its-health-inspection-with-44-violations.html

The Corona Virus situation, coupled with the contents of this report, do lead me to believe that Princess should afford some options for folks booked on the Regal to sail at a later date, on a ship with a better health report. I should not need travel insurance to protect me against this.

6 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

Ditto

Us too.  Our cruise is for April 25th and going by Princess website they would charge 25% cancellation fees.  For 42 - 15 days out  it changes to 50% fee.  I don't so much fear catching the virus, I worry about being quarantined on a ship or in a foreign country half way around the world.  I also do not wish to bring it in to my community.  Our travel insurer has stated in the news paper recently that they will not cover any claims relating to the virus, even if you paid for the policy before December like we did.  We will also lose our non-refundable ezi air bookings.

We had a Globus land tour booked pre-cruise.  Globus announced this week that they will give 100% refund if you cancel 30 days or more prior to departure.  We are currently 40 days out so we will get all that money back, blessings to them and to Alla tours who will give us a 100% refund on our 2 day St Petersburg tour.

Once things settle down again we will look at booking another trip.  We will for sure book with Globus and Alla tours again.

Everyone, do what is best for your circumstances and if you do decide to cruise have a most wonderful time and stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, LAnn said:

I do think Princess should offer the option of future cruise credits. Normally, I agree with the argument that one should buy cruise insurance. But we are dealing with an unprecedented public health crisis, and Princess has proven not once but twice that they cannot guarantee their passengers' safety with regard to this epidemic. To encourage people who are in a high-risk group (elderly, compromised immune systems) to travel, or to take their money if they are too afraid to go, is simply unconscionable. 

In addition, these decisions have a public health impact -- if people are infected on the ship they can infect others when they disembark. The governor of California has declared a state of emergency due to Covid-19 and the public cannot afford to allow Princess to be cavalier about public health and safety. There are many other airlines, hotels and cruise lines that are waiving cancellation fees because it is the right thing to do given these exceptional circumstances.

I completely agree. thank you for a well written post.

• Like 1

I run a few short term rentals.  Right now, the big booking companies are letting guests cancel accommodations with even strict cancellation policies.  Some host are upset they are losing money, but I’m thinking I cannot afford to have guests quarantined in my houses.  If a guest is a little sick, but traveling because they already spent the money they are more likely to infect their accommodations and those around them. I’ll take the short term hit on slow business over a disaster.

I think some cruise lines are thinking like the other hosts, that they will have half empty ships if they allow cancellations.  And other cruise lines like Seaborne and Viking are thinking more like myself, that a full ship with folks that shouldn’t have been cruising will require them to refund everyone on that quarantined ship, offer them another free cruise, and refund all on the cruises that have to be cancelled to clean up the ship. And that would cost more than a few less than full cruises. 

Also, those with the easy to cancel policies will continue to get bookings as this crisis goes on, and once it’s under control those cruisers will all show up.  While those with the strict cancellation policies will have less people booking, as they are afraid to sign up for a trip that three months from now they think is unsafe.  

The final piece of the puzzle is PR.  Unfortunately, it will be awhile before the Princess Cruise name is not associated with quarantined ships.  The high end cruise lines don’t want that type of PR.

• Like 4

I am in final for a 28 day April cruise that does not involve flying.

I have a second long Mediterranean cruise in August which involves Italy, a long flight, many ports that could turn ships away should things continue.

So far I am keeping the first as I watch on a day to day basis, probably cancelling the second.

FWIW, here's how I look at it - none of us lose $$ if we cancel a cruise as that money was already paid. But, we will lose an experience we looked forward to. 

That helps me to make the best sensible decision.

• Like 1

Watch tomorrow for new Cancellation Policy..   Princess will allow us to cancel our March 28th cruise up to 72 hours prior to sailing with 100% Future Cruise Credit..  It appears that this applies to anyone.. insurance or not.  This is for sailings April 3rd or earlier..   April 4th to May 31st.. cancel by March 31 for 100% FCC...  June 1 to June 30  Final Payment will be moved to 60 days prior to sailing.. 

Edited by Once Upon A Time
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Once Upon A Time said:

Watch tomorrow for new Cancellation Policy..   Princess will allow us to cancel our March 28th cruise up to 72 hours prior to sailing with 100% Future Cruise Credit..  It appears that this applies to anyone.. insurance or not.  This is for sailings April 3rd or earlier..   April 4th to May 31st.. cancel by March 31 for 100% FCC...  June 1 to June 30  Final Payment will be moved to 60 days prior to sailing.. 

This would be welcome news. We leave on March 21st.

26 minutes ago, Once Upon A Time said:

I certainly hope this is correct!  I have clients on the 3/29 Grand Princess sailing who definitely do NOT want to go (if she even sails).  If you have inside scoop, it's one that I'm happy to hear, for my client's sake.

13 hours ago, Griller said:

That would be the decent thing to do and would pay off for Princess long term

I have to add this. It’s not related to the virus but related to Princess doing the right thing.  Not even the necessary thing but more going above and beyond.   
during super storm sandy in 2012, we were booked on the Caribbean Princess to go to Bermuda out of NY. We knew that with the storm of the century approaching, we would not be going to Bermuda.  Princess didn’t say what the plans were till everyone was on board. Even then all we were told was “we’re going north”. We didn’t know what that meant.  I thought that it at least meant we would go to Nova Scotia or Canada somewhere.  I didn’t know till 36 hours after boarding that we would arrive in Boston Harbor and get stuck there for nearly a week. I won’t get into all the details of the cruise unless someone asks but I will say that princess stepped up to the plate and hit a home run. We were refunded all of our money and we got 50% of what we paid towards a new booking.  Totally not something they were required to do but they did.  They stepped up.  And that is  just 1 of the many reasons why I’ve continued to sail Princess.