Likelihood of Princess modifying their cancel policy

jat1977

With other cruise lines allowing currently booked passengers to modify or cancel their cruises without penalty, regardless of whether they have CFAR insurance, what do you think the likelihood is that Princess will follow suit?  Especially since another Princess ship has been impacted by Covid-19?

Asking because we are currently scheduled on a caribbean cruise leaving March 22.  As of yesterday, our medallions are in the mail and the cruise is a go.  But, we do not have CFAR insurance (only basic travel).  My parents were coming with us.  However, they are in their 70's and have underlying health conditions; my Dad is very high risk for the virus.  We have until Saturday to get 25% back.  My parents want to cancel, but I am trying to decide if we should just cancel now and eat the 75% loss or wait and see if Princess either (a) modifies their policy in which case we could move our cruise and not lose any money or (b) cancels our cruise altogether and we get a refund.  My husband is wanting to wait it out.  

*Please no lectures about the benefits of CFAR insurance.  We are obviously wishing we had purchased it, but hindsight is 20/20 and no one could have predicted this truly rare situation.  This was going to be our kids' first cruise and this is by far the most expensive vacation we have ever planned so I am just trying to decide if we should eat the 75% loss now and at least get a small portion of our money back or try to wait it out to see if we can modify later.   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, resistk said:

IMO cruise lines must deal with these issues in a uniform manner or cruising in general will get a bad reputation.

Could you please explain what a uniform manner means?

We are in a similar situation - scheduled for a 21-day Mediterranean cruise and have until the 14th to cancel at 75% penalty. My only input into your decision is the fact that Princess did take care of people who cancelled cruises in Asia that were subsequently scratched. I would hope they would do the same in the future should more cruises be cancelled, and hopefully, apply the same grace to any change in cancellation policy. Best wishes to you and your family!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Griller said:

Could you please explain what a uniform manner means?

Due to the COVID19 crisis, let passengers cancel without penalty if they want. No one should be pressured by financial loss or worry to take a cruise under these circumstances.  if the cruise lines want to keep running half full that is their option but passengers should have a choice without being financially punished.  This is not a business as usual event, consumers will not forgive the cruise lines so easily, especially if another cruise ship gets involved.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JerrySueW said:

We are in a similar situation - scheduled for a 21-day Mediterranean cruise and have until the 14th to cancel at 75% penalty. My only input into your decision is the fact that Princess did take care of people who cancelled cruises in Asia that were subsequently scratched. I would hope they would do the same in the future should more cruises be cancelled, and hopefully, apply the same grace to any change in cancellation policy. Best wishes to you and your family!

I am sorry you are also in this predicament.  I appreciate the input - that is something to think about.  I know nothing is guaranteed.  But we do have some cases of the virus in Florida and realistically, I think we likely have many more that have gone undetected.  So I think it is just a matter of time before the caribbean cruises are affected.  Best wishes for your travels as well.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, resistk said:

Due to the COVID19 crisis, let passengers cancel without penalty if they want. No one should be pressured by financial loss or worry to take a cruise under these circumstances.  if the cruise lines want to keep running half full that is their option but passengers should have a choice without being financially punished.  This is not a business as usual event, consumers will not forgive the cruise lines so easily, especially if another cruise ship gets involved.

That would be the decent thing to do and would pay off for Princess long term

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Stevie17 said:

We are in the exact same situation. We have a cruise planned on Regal set to sail on March 29th. We have until March 15th to cancel and get 25% back. 

Ugh - you are on the Regal just after us.  I am so sorry others are in this same situation.  😞

45 minutes ago, jat1977 said:

With other cruise lines allowing currently booked passengers to modify or cancel their cruises without penalty, regardless of whether they have CFAR insurance, what do you think the likelihood is that Princess will follow suit?  Especially since another Princess ship has been impacted by Covid-19?

Asking because we are currently scheduled on a caribbean cruise leaving March 22.  As of yesterday, our medallions are in the mail and the cruise is a go.  But, we do not have CFAR insurance (only basic travel).  My parents were coming with us.  However, they are in their 70's and have underlying health conditions; my Dad is very high risk for the virus.  We have until Saturday to get 25% back.  My parents want to cancel, but I am trying to decide if we should just cancel now and eat the 75% loss or wait and see if Princess either (a) modifies their policy in which case we could move our cruise and not lose any money or (b) cancels our cruise altogether and we get a refund.  My husband is wanting to wait it out.  

*Please no lectures about the benefits of CFAR insurance.  We are obviously wishing we had purchased it, but hindsight is 20/20 and no one could have predicted this truly rare situation.  This was going to be our kids' first cruise and this is by far the most expensive vacation we have ever planned so I am just trying to decide if we should eat the 75% loss now and at least get a small portion of our money back or try to wait it out to see if we can modify later.   

We're on the same boat except our Caribbean cruise departs 1 day earlier on March 21st so have up to tomorrow March 6th to cancel to get back 25%.  My understanding is that regardless when you cancel, you will get back the Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses.  Wife thinks we should cancel today but like your husband, I'm more leaning towards waiting it out.  Have you tried calling Princess directly?  The first time I call, they said perhaps customer relations can do something, the second time I call, they just basically said forfeit 75% now or 100% after March 6th.  Wishing all that's on the same boat best of luck whatever you all decide but more importantly, hope everyone stays healthy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

So, don't go to the grocery store, WalMart, Wally World, anywhere there are more than 2 people and you may be safe. No Doctor visit, Dentist, restaurant. Or go on the cruise, live life normally.

i submit us that like cursing be permanently put on a ship, all expenses paid, that way the people scared of us never have to see us again 🙂 

So far, Princess has made no offers to passengers booked on their future cruises.  We are on the March 22 sailing of the Grand Princess and I just asked them for an option to get a credit for a future Princess sailing.    We are 78 and 80 and I explained that we were concerned that some of the crew may be incubating the virus.  The answer was "no".

In contrast to this, Viking has already offered us the option to change to any cruise, river or ocean, in the next 2 years.  More than fair.

It's time for Princess to step up and do the right thing.

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, tk-4 said:

We're on the same boat except our Caribbean cruise departs 1 day earlier on March 21st so have up to tomorrow March 6th to cancel to get back 25%.  My understanding is that regardless when you cancel, you will get back the Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses.  Wife thinks we should cancel today but like your husband, I'm more leaning towards waiting it out.  Have you tried calling Princess directly?  The first time I call, they said perhaps customer relations can do something, the second time I call, they just basically said forfeit 75% now or 100% after March 6th.  Wishing all that's on the same boat best of luck whatever you all decide but more importantly, hope everyone stays healthy.

I called Princess last night and more specifically asked about my parents' situation.  I asked whether they were allowing people with underlying health issues who were high risk for the virus (proven by a doctor's note) to cancel or modify.  I was told no, that only people with CFAR insurance can do so.  Otherwise, it is get hit with the 75% penalty now or risk not recouping anything later.  My parents are not going on the cruise regardless due to their status as high-risk for the virus.  I was trying to decide whether, if we wait it out, I should try and convince them to wait it out too in the hopes that Princess will modify their policy sometime in the next week or two so we could just move the trip altogether.   I hope you make a decision that is good for you and your family and that you stay healthy as well.  

Edited by jat1977
Wanted to change the wording

I totally agree it's time for Princess to step up and do the right thing here.  I'm debating what to do for a cruise in June out of Rome.  I called Princess and asked what's the status of the Enchanted Princess and they said the ship is still on time, is that true or not.  Money is due tomorrow for that cruise and I'm worried about putting down that type of money for it to either be cancelled or Italy is out for travel.  Right now they have Italy on their travel ban list so what's going to happen if that is still the case come June, what happens if the ship isn't delivered in time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

So, don't go to the grocery store, WalMart, Wally World, anywhere there are more than 2 people and you may be safe. No Doctor visit, Dentist, restaurant. Or go on the cruise, live life normally.

I am pretty sure I am not going to get quarantined at my local grocery store if someone has COVID-19.....but on Princess....it is almost certain.....I think it is practical for people to want to alter their plans now.....

• Like 11

Got this yesterday from our TA.  Posted it on the main Cruisecritic board and it was removed.  

Hello Kevin,

I called princess again today regarding your cruise cancellation.  You will be getting $503.60 back (includes sales and port tax not Future Cruise Deposit) within 10-15 days.  You will be able to submit a claim for the remainder of the balance.  If the claim gets denied, you will be able to request a future cruise credit for the full amount of your cancelled cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I am pretty sure I am not going to get quarantined at my local grocery store if someone has COVID-19.....but on Princess....it is almost certain.....I think it is practical for people to want to alter their plans now.....

Yes, that is our concern.  We are not worried about the virus itself as my husband and I are healthy as are our kids (who apparently have the best chances against it anyway).  But the disruption to our daily lives (missed school for the kids and my husband who is a teacher) if we got stuck on a boat for weeks is not something I want to chance if there is a way around it.  Plus we have connecting interior cabins booked and while being stuck in two cabins is better than one, I can't fathom being stuck in the equivalent of two small hotel rooms without windows with 3 kids for two weeks straight.  🤪 

21 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Got this yesterday from our TA.  Posted it on the main Cruisecritic board and it was removed.  

Hello Kevin,

I called princess again today regarding your cruise cancellation.  You will be getting $503.60 back (includes sales and port tax not Future Cruise Deposit) within 10-15 days.  You will be able to submit a claim for the remainder of the balance.  If the claim gets denied, you will be able to request a future cruise credit for the full amount of your cancelled cruise.

Did you have basic travel insurance?  And the suggestion is that you file a claim with the travel insurance and then when it gets denied, you can ask Princess for a future cruise credit?

Or did you have CFAR insurance?  That would make more sense to me since you mentioned getting a cruise credit for the full amount of your cancelled cruise.    

Edited by jat1977

1 hour ago, resistk said:

then I want a refund of all the CFAR insurance we have purchased over the years and never used a single time, not even a visit to the on board doctor 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, resistk said:

So it's not OK for a passenger to take a financial loss, but it is for the cruise line?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, voljeep said:

then I want a refund of all the CFAR insurance we have purchased over the years and never used a single time, not even a visit to the on board doctor 

I understand that argument, but my question is, why wouldn't Princess do what Viking is doing and just offer a cruise credit (not a refund) for people who are currently scheduled to depart in the next month or two during the peak of the virus?  Princess would still keep the money and passengers would still get to cruise . . . just at a later date.  I would say that is a win-win situation as Princess won't lose money and they get to keep goodwill among passengers.  Plus Princess could then resell the now-freed-up cabins to people who are willing to take the risk.  

Edited by jat1977
  • Like 9

It seems as though Princess could at least allow passengers in the highest-risk group (over 65) to either cancel or re-book. They will need all the goodwill they can get when the concern over this virus finally fades (whenever that may be).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mek said:

So it's not OK for a passenger to take a financial loss, but it is for the cruise line?

Cruise lines depend on consumer goodwill and spend millions on marketing to get that "love."  Being viewed as profit oriented in a crisis sounds like a good way to lose consumer confidence.

• Like 3