Likelihood of Princess modifying their cancel policy

jat1977

5 hours ago, cynbar said:

Jat1977, your post asks for our opinions on what we would do in your situation. If it were me, I would cancel now and ensure getting 25% back. But I have to say , I don't understand why you posted looking for support of the idea that Princess should either refund your money or give you a future cruise credit for the full amount. Why would they do that, when you had a chance to purchase CFAR insurance but chose not to? The cruise you would take in the future precludes them from selling the cabin to a paying customer. Just think of the numbers involved if they let anyone cancel with a full cruise credit. This isn't meant to be snarky, it's just a fact. Anyone who books has the option to forego insurance, purchase regular travel insurance, or buy a CFAR policy. Anything less, you take your chances.

Most  people buy travel insurance covering trip cancellation /interruption . The problem is that those policies are not covering this pandemic  . Thus ,the question then begs should Princess have  told people about this cancel for any reason insurance when people were booking ?  We certainly had insurance but bot cancel for any reason & we were never told that this insurance even existed 

4 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Most  people buy travel insurance covering trip cancellation /interruption . The problem is that those policies are not covering this pandemic  . Thus ,the question then begs should Princess have  told people about this cancel for any reason insurance when people were booking ?  We certainly had insurance but bot cancel for any reason & we were never told that this insurance even existed 

So now you are blaming Princess because you didn't research the insurance that Princess sells?

Once again smdh..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Once Upon A Time said:

Watch tomorrow for new Cancellation Policy.

We are booked on the Emerald out of L.A. in mid-April and am unsure if it is a good time for to go on this cruise given the current environment.  It is not so much the worry of getting sick, it’s more the possibility of the quarantine afterwards.

So for us, this would be welcome news.  However, this is the first time I have heard this news... can you share the information source. 

Thanks Once Upon A Time for your update.

edit - well, before I could hit enter Idahospud had my answer... thanks guys.

Edited by rebeltech8
New info

Just got this regarding cancellation policies.  Once Upon a Time was correct.

Hi everyone,

In light of the ongoing COVID-19 situation, also known as coronavirus, we’re making some temporary changes to our cancellation policy for cruises departing up to May 31, 2020. In addition, we are amending our final payment policy on cruises sailing June 1 through June 30, 2020. We hope these changes will help give your clients peace of mind around final payment decisions and applicable cancellation fees. 

Please find below the applicable departure dates and changes to our standard policies: 

Date of Departure* Benefit
Apr 3 or earlier Cancel up to 72 hours before sailing to receive Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of cancellation fees
Apr 4 – May 31 Cancel by Mar 31 and receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of cancellation fees 
Jun 1 – Jun 30 Final payment moves to 60 days prior to sailing

*Date of departure is from the start date of your cruise or cruisetour, whichever is earlier.

Please note that this applies to new and existing bookings on all cruises and cruisetours, excluding charters, inside final payment for all destinations.

Guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 9 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts:

• $100/$150 AUD per cabin for 3 and 4 day cruises
  • $150/$225 AUD per cabin for 5 day cruises
  • $200/$300 AUD per cabin for 6 day and longer cruises

Future Cruise Credits are non-refundable and may be applied to any new or existing booking not yet paid in full on a Princess cruise departing on or before December 31, 2021. Additionally, the Future Cruise Credit does not have to be used on the same product that was cancelled and is non-transferable. To ensure we cover guests who already made final payment, the revised final payment date means no cancellation fees will be assessed until 60-days prior to sailing.

Please note that while Future Cruise Credits will automatically be applied each guest’s Captain’s Circle account after they have cancelled, the Future Cruise Credit will not be available instantly and may take up to 10 business days to be processed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Every cruise I have booked with Princess I have had to check a box to either accept or decline the insurance. I could not continue with the booking until I did that step.

I book directly with Princess.

If you book directly with Princess then you have been "informed" of this option if you don't think so it is because you are not reading what your are booking. If you book through an agent and have never heard of this option then it is your agents fault not Princess.

Of course for those not in the US this option may not be available but your profile states you are in the US.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ella2 said:

Just got this regarding cancellation policies.  Once Upon a Time was correct.

Hi everyone,

In light of the ongoing COVID-19 situation, also known as coronavirus, we’re making some temporary changes to our cancellation policy for cruises departing up to May 31, 2020. In addition, we are amending our final payment policy on cruises sailing June 1 through June 30, 2020. We hope these changes will help give your clients peace of mind around final payment decisions and applicable cancellation fees. 

Please find below the applicable departure dates and changes to our standard policies: 

Date of Departure* Benefit
Apr 3 or earlier Cancel up to 72 hours before sailing to receive Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of cancellation fees
Apr 4 – May 31 Cancel by Mar 31 and receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of cancellation fees 
Jun 1 – Jun 30 Final payment moves to 60 days prior to sailing

*Date of departure is from the start date of your cruise or cruisetour, whichever is earlier.

Please note that this applies to new and existing bookings on all cruises and cruisetours, excluding charters, inside final payment for all destinations.

Guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 9 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts:

• $100/$150 AUD per cabin for 3 and 4 day cruises
  • $150/$225 AUD per cabin for 5 day cruises
  • $200/$300 AUD per cabin for 6 day and longer cruises

Future Cruise Credits are non-refundable and may be applied to any new or existing booking not yet paid in full on a Princess cruise departing on or before December 31, 2021. Additionally, the Future Cruise Credit does not have to be used on the same product that was cancelled and is non-transferable. To ensure we cover guests who already made final payment, the revised final payment date means no cancellation fees will be assessed until 60-days prior to sailing.

Please note that while Future Cruise Credits will automatically be applied each guest’s Captain’s Circle account after they have cancelled, the Future Cruise Credit will not be available instantly and may take up to 10 business days to be processed.

Yes, I just got the email myself.  So relieved. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jat1977 said:

Yes, I just got the email myself.  So relieved. 

No relief here on March 7 th Island Princess not included in this policy change and two of our ports are Jamaica and Grand Cayman where ships have been turned away recently 

We will definitely be cancelling our March 29th Regal cruise now...just too risky at this time. This is such a relief, and I will gladly take future cruise credit. This was such a good move on Princess's part.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dog said:

No relief here on March 7 th Island Princess not included in this policy change and two of our ports are Jamaica and Grand Cayman where ships have been turned away recently 

I'm sorry.  I know that must be stressful.  There has been no outbreak here yet in FL (only 4 cases and I think 3 of those were related and recently traveled to Italy).  And my understanding is that the cruise lines have worked out their differences with the Jamaican and Grand Cayman authorities (a Princess ship docked in Jamaica the day after those other ships were turned away). So hopefully your cruise will not be impacted.  Best wishes for your trip. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

I guess not included cuz it is less than 72 hours before departure?

Sorry that you booked Island Princess. At least hopefully you won't have the crowds in the theater - and for ATD and on the ship in general - that i experienced after they butchered that ship. Never again for me, COVID 19 or not.

Edited by frugaltravel
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

So now you are blaming Princess because you didn't research the insurance that Princess sells?

Once again smdh..........

I think it is harsh to blame people when they bought 3rd party insurance. No one could have expected this. Most people buy 3rd party insurance because it has better medical coverage. If they had purchased Princess insurance and had $30K in medical expenses, would you be critical of them not buying a 3rd party insurance instead of Princess? A lot of people buy air on their own which prompts people to buy 3rd party coverage to have that covered.

• Like 3

We have many questions.  On hold with Princess right now.   I have a full cup of coffee, I’m texting with my daughter, and a basket of laundry to fold.  I could be here a while.  But...I’m going in!  No reservation left behind!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

I guess not included cuz it is less than 72 hours before departure?

Sorry that you booked Island Princess. At least hopefully you won't have the crowds in the theater - and for ATD and on the ship in general - that i experienced after they butchered that ship. Never again for me, COVID 19 or not.

I can accept it. I only booked this for Panama Canal,  never been on Island or Coral. 
Happy for those who have been stressing over their health concerns, longer cruises etc. 
I have a call into my TA hoping she can get through to Princess by noon. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bnickle said:

We have many questions.  On hold with Princess right now.   I have a full cup of coffee, I’m texting with my daughter, and a basket of laundry to fold.  I could be here a while.  But...I’m going in!  No reservation left behind!

Keep us posted!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dog said:

I can accept it. I only booked this for Panama Canal,  never been on Island or Coral. 
Happy for those who have been stressing over their health concerns, longer cruises etc. 

When the dust settle go to the Canal on either the Island or Coral, and do the full transit, you will not be disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, dog said:

On Facebook Princess said if you are sailing this weekend to call them regarding cancellation. I think your TA will get the scoop for you.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KeyKeyVT said:

Keep us posted!

35 minutes in:  on hold to possibly the worst Muzak ever.  Each “song” is the first 8 bars of an ‘80s pop song, just played over and over for three minutes.  Dang it.  Either play the full Flock of Seagulls song or just stop.

• Haha 4

Just now, bnickle said:

35 minutes in:  on hold to possibly the worst Muzak ever.  Each “song” is the first 8 bars of an ‘80s pop song, just played over and over for three minutes.  Dang it.  Either play the full Flock of Seagulls song or just stop.

Keep it on speakerphone and mostly ignore the music 😀