Mass Cancellations on Riviera

kitty9

13 minutes ago, newlondon said:

workstocruise, We are on the same cruise and are going. As I wrote on another thread today's NYT has an article in travel section which convinced us!

Do you have a link to the article you read? What did it say?

8 minutes ago, LynneD said:

Here in Canada, our health officers are actually saying not to cruise at this time....

The US CDC and State Department are also doing the same.

COVID-19 and Cruise Ship Travel

Key Points

• CDC recommends travelers, particularly those with underlying health issues, defer all cruise ship travel worldwide.
  • Sustained community spread of respiratory illness caused by COVID-19 has been reported in many countries.
  • Cruise ship passengers are at increased risk of person-to-person spread of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
  • Older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/covid-19-cruise-ship

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

I would like to see a link to the NYT travel article so I could read it as well. Or perhaps show it to my adult kids. They are adamant We should cancel.  There are a lot of health professionals in our family who all say postpone your cruise till this gets better. Ugh!

1 minute ago, workstocruise said:

I would like to see a link to the NYT travel article so I could read it as well. Or perhaps show it to my adult kids. They are adamant We should cancel.  There are a lot of health professionals in our family who all say postpone your cruise till this gets better. Ugh!

perhaps it is this article?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/travel/update-coronavirus-cruises.html

Thank you RJ2002. I did read this, but tbh there wasn’t anything in this article that would make up my mind to definitely go. As I said earlier, it’s not the passengers on either the planes or the ship itself, but the ports are where we all interact with the locals and most places now have some type of outbreak of the virus.  It’s just the chance you take and hopefully things will be better by the time this cruise sails.  That’s what I’m hoping for!

5 minutes ago, workstocruise said:

As I said earlier, it’s not the passengers on either the planes or the ship itself but the ports are where we all interact with the locals and most places now have some type of outbreak of the virus

How can you say this after what has happened on the Diamond and Grand Princess?

Are you saying that it’s the ports these ships visited rather than fellow passengers/staff that are to be blamed for the epidemics on those ships?

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

No no, I’m not saying that at all.  I just feel that with all the precautions the airlines and cruise lines are taking, it’s probably safer than before.  But no can control what or where you go or do once in port.  We do our own things most times when we get off the ship, and even though we might be very careful there has been occasions when we’ve returned from Europe with some type of mild stomach virus that popped up after we got home so no telling where we picked it up. I’m also not saying we should all cancel and stay home.  That’s for each person to decide that, certainly not me.  I want to go on my cruise, I just have family that are concerned about the timing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

How can you say this after what has happened on the Diamond and Grand Princess?

Are you saying that it’s the ports these ships visited rather than fellow passengers/staff that are to be blamed for the epidemics on those ships?

It is interesting that with the magnitude of cruise lines currently (or since January) sailing the world that to date (other than the river cruise in Egypt) only the Princess line has had COVID-19 outbreaks. 

24 minutes ago, workstocruise said:

There with you.

I usually respect my adult kids' opinions about my courses of action. This time I'm ignoring them and cruising.

I love driving, but if I was continually fearful about the associated risks I wouldn't drive. I take care of my car, wear a seatbelt, go in for eye examinations- do what I'm able to mitigate the risk.

I love to cruise, I'm healthy and I'll do what I can to mitigate those risks as well.

2 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

It is interesting that with the magnitude of cruise lines currently (or since January) sailing the world that to date (other than the river cruise in Egypt) only the Princess line has had COVID-19 outbreaks. 

Now 3 Princess ships have virus related issues and cancellations: Grand, Royal, and Regal. The problem all come from transferring Grand crew members to both the Royal and Regal. And Carnival ships in Long Beach are being delayed due to virus hysteria. So glad I don't cruise until late June. IF I am balee to cruise.

Absolutely I agree with you.  They are just thinking if one of us gets sick, we’ll wind up in a European hospital somewhere and they’ll have to come get us.   We travel a lot and until this happened, they have never asked us to cancel a trip. Oh well, I hope we all get to travel and look back on this and laugh.

All well and good with the no self serve as long as people follow that rule.  I can’t tell you how many people I have seen touching food with their bare hands in Waves and Terrace.  Just saw one guy pick up three pieces of fruit, and putting them back in the bowl, not using the tongs.  I’ve seen people picking up the sliced meats and cheese in Terrace with their fingers. One woman picked through the bread and rolls until she found one that suited her—-using her hands. 

9 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

All well and good with the no self serve as long as people follow that rule.  I can’t tell you how many people I have seen touching food with their bare hands in Waves and Terrace.  Just saw one guy pick up three pieces of fruit, and putting them back in the bowl, not using the tongs.  I’ve seen people picking up the sliced meats and cheese in Terrace with their fingers. One woman picked through the bread and rolls until she found one that suited her—-using her hands. 

Unfortunately, I am neither surprised nor shocked.

Did you say anything to either of those people? I know, it’s not an easy decision to make but a little easier in this “climate”.

• Like 1

Yes, I did but they give you this look that basically says FU.  

Heck, there’s a man on board who walked into Jacques without a reservation, but demanded to be served.  They very politely told him they were fully booked.  He demanded to see the Captain——didn’t happen, so he pushed his walker to the first empty table and plopped himself down and refused to move.  His poor wife was so embarrassed, but they did serve him. 

Edited by kitty9

Now the U.S. State Department has issued this statement, "U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship."  It goes on to say, "This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships."   Finally, "While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities."

We had planned to go on 3/11 but this is a pretty stark statement - stay off cruise ships.  We still have until Monday afternoon to decide.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

Kitty9,

I am on the ship on 3-11. If I see any of this happening I will make sure everyone knows what they did. I have a loud and deep voice and not afraid to use it. I will also demand the ship throw out the food they contaminated. I have done it before. 

Its time for everyone to shame these idiots.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Highseasquest said:

Ricka47,

I am thinking the cutoff will be 1pm eastern time for cancellation as that is embarkation time. 

It does say 48 hours before departure in the email that I received:

"If you are departing between March 10th and September 30th of this year, you may cancel up to 48 Hours prior to departure and we will issue a Future Cruise Credit for 100% value of the cruise fare you paid."