Refund instead of FCC

jknc

You're not going to get a full "cash" refund if you're in the penalty phase. 

P.S.  This question has been asked and answered several times in the various "refund" threads.  No need to create yet another thread.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 2

I was thinking about this...

-If cruiser cancels - FCC

-If cruise line cancels - Refund

FCC follows the individual cruiser and applied “wonky” depended on the sale at the time of booking (kids free, 2nd person 60%). If the cruise line cancels- my money comes back to me (I’m paying for everyone).

If the cruise is going, so are we.  Just taking precautions...

15 minutes ago, tropiclvrs said:

Andrew, I know you usually cruise with O for spring break so I was thinking about you guys the other day.  Are you going this year?

Next Cruise for us is October for us. I did toy with booking this week for next week, but as more cases have been reported this last week I decided not too.  We did have Symphony booked for next week but cancelled back in a December. 

Owen has been playing Rep Hockey this year, for the first time ever, and it could have gone until March 20th.  As it turns out his season will end tomorrow night. He is 13 highest in points of 250 players in the league and was on a team that had a 37% win percentage. Friday night he had a 7 point game, 3 goals and an assist. He has done very well. His Rep Ball team has already started practice in February so we have about a month between sports. 

Don't be sad though.  Lord willing we are flying to Maui April 4th for 9 days. Meals, real surfing etc... are all booked. 

• Like 2

I believe the notion of extension of a policy that is inherently designed to make you second guess  canceling is bad practice. Sure on the surface you extend the policy to 48hrs, but this has so many different variables. For example, I have a cruise that I booked almost a year ago this up coming weekend.  I can now get a future cruise credit or a no fee change to rebook in the future.  However, most of the cruises are significantly more currently then what I payed for my cruise.  This discourages me from canceling as I would have to pay a couple houndred dollars extra to reedem my future cruise credit. Which to some of you doesn't seem to be a problem, but for someone who saved up to go on this cruise(my first) it will be the difference between being able to go or not.  There is also the issue that the base fare for pp1 and pp2 will be different and thus making it even harder to find a cruise that fits. I believe that if Royal really wanted to qualm fears and give consumers an option they would offer a full refund, but that is not their purpose they are more worried about their bottom line. 

1 minute ago, joephilly said:

I believe the notion of extension of a policy that is inherently designed to make you second guess  canceling is bad practice. Sure on the surface you extend the policy to 48hrs, but this has so many different variables. For example, I have a cruise that I booked almost a year ago this up coming weekend.  I can now get a future cruise credit or a no fee change to rebook in the future.  However, most of the cruises are significantly more currently then what I payed for my cruise.  This discourages me from canceling as I would have to pay a couple houndred dollars extra to reedem my future cruise credit. Which to some of you doesn't seem to be a problem, but for someone who saved up to go on this cruise(my first) it will be the difference between being able to go or not.  There is also the issue that the base fare for pp1 and pp2 will be different and thus making it even harder to find a cruise that fits. I believe that if Royal really wanted to qualm fears and give consumers an option they would offer a full refund, but that is not their purpose they are more worried about their bottom line. 

And based on your post, you are also worried about your bottom line.  😄

• Like 4

With the U.S. State Department advising U.S. citizens not to cruise at all, I hope Royal will consider giving people with cruises booked in the next couple months a full refund over a future cruise credit. Or, at least extend the rebooking window for applying the future cruise credit into 2022. A comparable cruise over the same time period (i.e., spring break) for a 2021 sailing is much higher than one in 2020, especially if you booked the 2020 sailing before the Perfect Day at Coco Cay was announced. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, joephilly said:

Yes, but my bottom line determines if I as mid twenties first time cruiser decides to cruise with royal again 😉

True, but take a bit of advice from someone (Many here) considerably more experienced than you.  You won’t be getting a better option from any travel provider in a situation like this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, joephilly said:

So don’t cancel, go and enjoy yourself. 

• Like 1

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

So don’t cancel, go and enjoy yourself. 

As a young person with no prior health concerns this is my train of thought. But I am concerned about being stuck and not able to disembark ect. I was also playing devils advocate and advocating for a position that I have not seen taken on this board. My question is simply is Royal doing enough? Is their policy good for someone who wants to cancel a cruise, but in essence would loose money doing so? Normally I agree that this would be on the consumer as they agreed to terms ect. But if we are actually trying to prevent the spread of this it would make some sense for the consumer to not bear the economic hardships brought on by doing the right thing and listening to the state department. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joephilly said:

Yes, but my bottom line determines if I as mid twenties first time cruiser decides to cruise with royal again 😉

It is too bad that your first cruise is in the middle of this mess.  I can understand your frustration but cruise lines do not offer cash refunds in cases like this, it is future cruise credits, if anything at all.  Just understand that the cruise line did not have to start this cruise with confidence policy, they could have just said, you have a contract with us and if you don't cruise, you lose.  If you do decide to cancel, the 48 hours to cancel is really closer to 3 days prior, not two, so don't wait too long and miss out.  If you decide to sail, stay healthy and have a blast!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, joephilly said:

As a young person with no prior health concerns this is my train of thought. But I am concerned about being stuck and not able to disembark ect. I was also playing devils advocate and advocating for a position that I have not seen taken on this board. My question is simply is Royal doing enough? Is their policy good for someone who wants to cancel a cruise, but in essence would loose money doing so? Normally I agree that this would be on the consumer as they agreed to terms ect. But if we are actually trying to prevent the spread of this it would make some sense for the consumer to not bear the economic hardships brought on by doing the right thing and listening to the state department. 

As a old person who has done over 50 cruises, I have never seen a cruise line offer to let you cancel before 48 hrs and get a future credit. ... as some other have mentioned to you, this is very generous, you just want more.

Lots of us in the same position, except I'm almost in the age range to worry. My thinking is so far rcl hasnt had a virus instance or problem and texas only had a few with the virus who are cured, and I intend to be careful.

Be glad you arent in the age range to worry.

I've been on a carnival cruise with a bunch of first timers and we missed a port due to high waves. They marched around demanding a refund and the fact their contract they agreed to said all carnival would do is refund port taxes..... well they weren't having it.

Sometimes experience and knowing what is wasted effort and what is a good deal helps. Enjoy your cruise. I plan on enjoying mine. Wouldnt cancel unless there is no other option.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, joephilly said:

I'll just re-iterate, you're young and honestly?  If you're careful, you will not get the virus.  It is not as easily transmissible as the flu because it does take contact, but the virus does appear to live on surfaces for a long time.  Take precautions for that (there are good suggestions here on how to do that).

I know the State Department is saying to not cruise but I don't get that.  Hundreds of ships with thousands of passengers have sailed since January and only two have been adversely impacted (well, three, but the Holland America ship didn't have anyone get the virus).  We've seen baggage handlers and quite a few others associated with flying contract the virus and no one is saying to not fly.  I've never gotten sick on a cruise (we are quite careful about hand washing and sanitizing), but I have gotten a cold after flights.  So many times.  (Could just be the dry air, but it has happened.)

The thing is, cruising is going to get hammered.  And I think a lot of it is unjust.  I don't see wholesale closing of hotels, amusement parks, restaurants, etc.  Cruise ships have a lot of people, but they do a good job with cleanliness, better than sports venues and concerts.  And those events have many thousands more in attendance.

We have to see how this shakes out.  I and the 11 eleven others for our May cruise are sailing.  If the ship goes, we're on it.

Me thinks the real danger isn’t the cruise but flying to your cruise. There’s no screening in place for those getting on airlines and they’re refusing waive fees for those who booked prior to March. 

1 hour ago, Luxurycruise2 said:

-If cruiser cancels - FCC

-If cruise line cancels - Refund

If the cruise is going, so are we.  Just taking precautions...

Kind of why I'm waiting until the last possible minute for my 29th March cruise on Liberty.  For me, there's a finite number of solution sets:

• Situation improves and cruise goes as scheduled: 👍 (already upgraded cabins!)
  • Situation doesn't improve but RCI precautions / screenings demonstrated to be effective: 👍 (thinking this is the most likely scenario)
  • Situation doesn't improve and cruise is cancelled: 👎 (gimme back my money)
  • Situation doesn't improve and ports are affected: 👎 (not into being redirected to Key West and CoCo Cay)
  • Situation doesn't improve and warnings are upgraded: 👎 (gimme that future cruise credit)
  • Situation doesn't improve and RCI precautions / screening prove ineffective: 👎 (ditto)
  • Situation degrades in general: 👎 (ditto)
  • Illness: 👎 (maybe a refund if we fail RCI screening?)

--bruce T. (I need this cruise)

9 minutes ago, jknc said:

Me thinks the real danger isn’t the cruise but flying to your cruise. There’s no screening in place for those getting on airlines and they’re refusing waive fees for those who booked prior to March. 

I agree.  We booked our flights the week before Jetblue announced they will waive fees for a certain period of time.  We did buy insurance for our flights though, which we never do, because of the uncertainty of the situation.  We always insure our cruises but not usually our flights.

You have to look at your circumstances and do what works for you.  I just heard from my DH that if we do cruise, he can't work for two weeks after we get back per new corporate policy as of today.  That changes things a lot for us.

3 minutes ago, Btank said:

Kind of why I'm waiting until the last possible minute for my 29th March cruise on Liberty.  For me, there's a finite number of solution sets:

• Situation improves and cruise goes as scheduled: 👍 (already upgraded cabins!)
  • Situation doesn't improve but RCI precautions / screenings demonstrated to be effective: 👍 (thinking this is the most likely scenario)
  • Situation doesn't improve and cruise is cancelled: 👎 (gimme back my money)
  • Situation doesn't improve and ports are affected: 👎 (not into being redirected to Key West and CoCo Cay)
  • Situation doesn't improve and warnings are upgraded: 👎 (gimme that future cruise credit)
  • Situation doesn't improve and RCI precautions / screening prove ineffective: 👎 (ditto)
  • Situation degrades in general: 👎 (ditto)
  • Illness: 👎 (maybe a refund if we fail RCI screening?)

--bruce T. (I need this cruise)

You forgot RCL goes belly Up.😱

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

You forgot RCL goes belly Up.😱

Actually, I didn't - just didn't document it, because I don't see them going under within the next three weeks. Looking at their balance sheet, I think that's gonna take a while.  And if I end up with FCC, I would not sit on it past the summer.

thx...     --bruce T.