Toilets in cabin question (Symphony)

I realize this may be an irrational fear but how often do the toilets in cabins have issue flushing? We are three and one of my main concerns if we got quarantined is what if the toilet doesn’t work and we are stuck in the room? Anyone else questioning this? Do they rarely have flushing issues due to suction? 

JFYI quarantine procedures have changed.

There won’t be 14 days of quarantine on the ship even if infected are found.

Grand Princess pax will be quarantined at California military bases, Canadians at Ontario military bases.

11 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I've rarely experienced a problem.  Anyway, I'm sure they would fix it if it broke.

We had problems 1 or 2 times on ships (we cruise a lot).. and everything is fixed from outside.

3 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Grand Princess pax will be quarantined at California military bases, Canadians at Ontario military bases.

That’s very encouraging to hear. Where did you hear or read this. I’d love to see it.

9 minutes ago, Laurba99 said:

That’s very encouraging to hear. Where did you hear or read this. I’d love to see it.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/486696-pentagon-cruise-passengers-to-be-quarantined-at-four-military-bases

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/grand-princess-cruise-ship-off-california-to-send-passengers-to-military-bases-and-their-home-countries-for-quarantine-2020-03-09

I don’t see information about Canada, but I heard it on the radio today and read somewhere.

Enjoy your cruise if you go... we will join smaller older ship in less than a month for 12 days cruise. We’ll see how this goes.

Edited by Tatka

8 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Actually residents of California are being transported by bus to travis air force base I think was the name.  Same base that housed and recently released the US passengers from Diamond Princess.   Non California residents are being transported to other military bases.  Canada and uk sending planes for their citizens to go to wherever on their home land to quarantine and I am not sure what other countries passengers are from but our government has reached out to those countries to get their citizens back home.  They hope to have passengers off grand princess by wednesday.  Ship will then leave port with their crew to clean and quarantine themselves.

Now my question is how the people that were the grand princess cruise prior to this one.  How many of those disembarked passengers that traveled home are now sick?  It was that trip that originated the virus with crew and b2b cruisers now sick.

• Thanks 1

Still makes me sick to my stomach thinking of being quarantined in military base and being away so long in an uncomfortable place. So hard to know what to do. Seems unlikely that this would Happen to a royal ship ?

7 minutes ago, Laurba99 said:

Still makes me sick to my stomach thinking of being quarantined in military base and being away so long in an uncomfortable place. So hard to know what to do. Seems unlikely that this would Happen to a royal ship ?

Why is it unlikely that it would happen to a royal ship?

Edited by time4u2go

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Who in this thread said anything about dying?

Wow I’m not even afraid I will get sick if I go :? But feel free to join and try to instigate something not here. We want to go just trying to be prepared for worse case scenario.

7 minutes ago, Laurba99 said:

Wow I’m not even afraid I will get sick if I go :? But feel free to join and try to instigate something not here. We want to go just trying to be prepared for worse case scenario.

I asked who in this thread said anything about dying? Your response makes no sense. 

Edited by time4u2go

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I asked who in this thread said anything about dying? Your response makes no sense to me anyway

I was trying to respond to the person who said best you stay home.. I want to go but it’s not crazy to have concerns and yes you are right I never said anything about dying. 

Just now, Laurba99 said:

I was trying to respond to the person who said best you stay home.. I want to go but it’s not crazy to have concerns and yes you are right I never said anything about dying. 

Ah ok. It looked like you were responding to me.

Talked to a person familiar with the vacuum flush systems used on cruise ships.  He said just about all the issues with the system is caused by people attempting to flush something other than the provided toilet paper, including toilet paper brought on board by passengers.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tatka said:

California passengers are going to California Base by end of today, other  US passengers will go to one of multiple Bases across US next 3-4 days... 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Laurba99 said:

I realize this may be an irrational fear but how often do the toilets in cabins have issue flushing? We are three and one of my main concerns if we got quarantined is what if the toilet doesn’t work and we are stuck in the room? Anyone else questioning this? Do they rarely have flushing issues due to suction? 

14 nights on Symphony and never heard of any toilet issues. 

11 hours ago, TiiiSailor said:

Talked to a person familiar with the vacuum flush systems used on cruise ships.  He said just about all the issues with the system is caused by people attempting to flush something other than the provided toilet paper, including toilet paper brought on board by passengers.  

The myth about "special" toilet paper being supplied on the ships is very persistent, but it is just that, a myth.  In over 40 years of dealing with vacuum toilet systems, the only times I've seen a clog due to toilet paper was when someone would use a massive amount to do their business.  Now, flushing things like Cottonelle wipes down the hopper will cause problems, but that is due to the basic nature of the different paper products.  Toilet tissue is made by compressing paper fibers, while wipes weave the fibers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We had a toilet completely replaced on a HAL cruise. Took 2 days. 

Unless it was cracked, that was completely unnecessary.  All the workings of the toilet are not in the toilet, but in the space behind it, and even changing out all the items, it should only have taken an hour or two.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TiiiSailor said:

You're only half-right with this response.

Toilet pipe clogging is almost always caused by people flushing things that shouldn't be flushed, that part is correct.  HOWEVER, bringing your own toilet paper from home is NOT a problem.  Even @chengkp75 has confirmed that.

Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines don't purchase "marine toilet paper" for use on the ship -- it's just normal toilet paper, whatever they got the best price on.  If you want to bring your super soft, super strong toilet paper from home, go right ahead.  

Just don't flush baby wipes, diapers, underwear, swimsuits, toys, etc.  THAT will clog up the works.  

For the OP -- I've been cruising since the 1980s, and I can recall exactly two times my toilet didn't flush because the system was down for some reason.  In both cases, the next time I went into the bathroom, it worked fine.  I didn't even call to notify anyone that it was down, because I knew that they already knew, because literally NOTHING happened when I pushed the button, meaning the system was turned off already and in the process of being repaired.