Edge sails with full female bridge team

SeaDog-46

X says on their own website it states "On board, you’ll enjoy special programming, including a dedicated speaker’s series, networking opportunities, film and documentary screenings, and more. This sailing and all the activities are all focused on our goal of inspiring a new generation of girls and women to pursue careers in the maritime field."   Isn't the average age of X's passengers even including children, 50+?  Guessing no one over 35+ is going to change their career to a become a mariner.  I just don't think the demographics are right for X's noble gesture to be utilized by the majority of the passengers.  Perhaps X could have found another women's theme that could be utilized by more passengers? 

45 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I just don't think the demographics are right for X's noble gesture to be utilized by the majority of the passengers.  Perhaps X could have found another women's theme that could be utilized by more passengers? 

Like any other themed cruise, I would not be surprised to see this cruise deviate from the usual X demographic. It has been well publicized for some time now, so it may well be attracting a younger and more open minded group of passengers for this cruise. Even some of the older pax may be interested in attending some of the special events, if only to learn something new. Who knows, they may pass on what they have learned to their daughters or nieces. I know I would.

The timing is a little odd, obviously, with world events, but...

Has anyone on the Celebrity Board ever heard of Captain Beverly Bass?  

From Wikipedia:

"Beverley Bass (born 1951 or 1952) is an American aircraft pilot and was the first female captain of an American Airlines commercial plane She was hired in 1976 by American Airlines as their third female pilot. In 1986, Bass became the first female captain of a commercial plane at American Airlines and later that year she captained the first all-female crew in the history of commercial jet aviation, on an American Airlines flight from Washington D.C. to Dallas, Texas. She and pilot Stephanie Wallach founded the International Society of Women Airline Pilots, which began as a group of women aviators but later changed into a program providing career support and mentorship to aspiring pilots."

Beverly Bass was flying a Boeing 777 from Paris to Dallas on 9/11/2001 when she was diverted to Gander, Newfoundland. Her story is one  of the most identifiable stories in the Broadway, West End, Australian, and touring musical (one of the best I've ever seen) musical "Come From Away". 

Celebrity is only 34 years behind...

(With all respect to Captain Kate.)

This team was put together as a story that coincided with the International Day of the Woman. In other words it was done for publicity reasons. I have not heard if this group will stay together after this cruise or if they will return to the ships they left. It has nothing to do with who is the best. All of these women are qualified to be in their roles on board. 

Unfortunately the PR value of this crew’s story has been lost due to the current situation. 

Edited by RICCruisers